1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Guitar Hero drives interest in playing real guitar

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Dec 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

As long as these people picking up the guitars are not playing stuff such as Busted and Sum41 then thats fine. 'tallica :rock:

3. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

QFT

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Anyone picking up a real guitar because of GH is a good thing, no matter what they play when they get there.

I started playing guitar a few years ago, and by the time I got into guitar hero I had almost lost interest in it, mostly because I wasn't inspired to learn any material of the right level, for whatever reason, but that kick helped me take it back up and relearn some new stuff, and different ways of thinking. Now I really enjoy playing both. :D

5. Djizasse

Djizasse What's a Dremel?

It's kind of embarrassing to admit, but GH was the reason I bought a real guitar and started playing.
    I'm a "computer musician" and GH made me more aware to the song structures, i started to listen to rock music and "analyse" it. After playing i HAD to buy a real guitar :)

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

at least it has logic in the part that it helps develop rhythm.....

7. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

I aspire to master this. unfortunately by the time I would come close to mastering it, my hands would have either dropped off or I would be old and senile.

8. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Its s simple way to get into guitar and a great tool to learn from before getting the real deal. I can definatly see it getting more people interested in the instrument. I myself never really took note how import the guitar is in music, and now when I stick my MP3 player on I start to reconise the guitar from the singing and drums, piano etc. Its giveren me a new view on music.

9. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

I'm really into the metal scene and I can verify that a large percentage of guitarists in metal bands (including very famous ones) are really into GH. Especially the two player mode. They love to try to one up each other.

Not many seem to be too excited about rock band though. Guess they don't need a virtual simulation of their jobs, lol.

10. tornadolphin

tornadolphin What's a Dremel?

I heard with Rock Band that playing the drums on the expert level is almost exactly the same as playing the drums in real life on that track. In reviews they even recommend those that play the drums to start on a higher level because the transition is so easy. That can't be said for a guitar player playing Guitar Hero for the first time.

11. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Can the same be said of America's Army?

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I have to disagree there - when I first played GH I wasn't a great guitar player by any stretch of the imagination, but I picked it up in about 15 minutes...

If you can finish GH3 on expert you'll be well on your way to be able to play that - a bit more practice doing big runs and a few more technical moves (there're a surprising number of fairly realistic movements in that one as opposed to the usual GH fair) and you'll soon have it. Mastery could be a way off, but you'll certainly be able to get through it without too many worries I would think. :)

13. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I did pick up a guitar and part of the reason was guitar hero, got quite good at it so I thought I'd try the real thing again (used to "play" acoustic when I was younger and started to learn a few tabs on it a few years back but gave up after a bit as a 3/4 size acoustic is hardly a good guitar for shredding :p), haven't really got anywhere yet as I'm a bit busy.

What I'd really love to learn to play is the bass, but the bass section in most songs is pretty simple and boring and often drowned out almost completely by the guitar, drums and singing.

14. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

:rock: QFT

I'm really tempted to pick up a cheap $100 USB guitar just for kicks

15. tornadolphin

tornadolphin What's a Dremel?

I was more trying to say that if your a drummer then the skills you have lends itself nicely when you play the drums on GH, but if your a good guitarist, it doesn't work that way around as much. In other words, your drumming skills emulate better then your guitar skills you may already have when playing Rock Band.

16. NaThRo

NaThRo What's a Dremel?

I play Bass and have for many years.
    I'm not heaps into console gaming, but at a LAN a few months ago one of the guy brought his console (PS2 or 360, can't remember) with GH2. Some of the others who had played it before were having a good time so I though I might give it a go.
    I found my existing skills helped loads as on my first song I beat my competition without much trouble.
    Not sure how it would translate in the other direction.

I haven't played GH since then... But still play my beautiful Bass every opportunity I get ;)

17. Djizasse

Djizasse What's a Dremel?

I also found that to have fun with a real guitar i just had to plug it to an amp with overdrive or to something like NI Guitar Rig. The sound is amazing, i just had to learn 3 or 4 power chords (lots of tutorials on the net) to have fun :)

Tags: Add Tags