1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

openDNS

Discussion in 'Software' started by ou7blaze, 5 Dec 2007.

1. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

So i had some really annoying problems with both of my browsers where I wasn't able to view certain websites after ages of antivirus scanning/adware scanning etc etc nothing worked.

(http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=143222)

I finally found a solution. www.opendns.com It fixed everything for me and sped up my site loading times, what I want to ask is if it's safe and is it really as good as I think it is?

2. EternalIllusion

EternalIllusion What's a Dremel?

Whats so good about it? From a quick glance at their site it just appears to be a web filter.

This did make me lol thou.
    [​IMG]

3. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Well it cured my problem and seems to load pages faster for me so just wondering if it was any good for anyone else.

4. JoeJones

JoeJones What's a Dremel?

Have had OpenDNS set up on my home network for a couple of months now since I found VirginMedia were being a bit messy with my DNS requests....has worked a treat on my home webproxy (polipo on an NSLU2) which I use for VPN access from work.

Can't say anything has really sped up amazingly to notice, but definately nothing bad about the service and it's stat monitoring is quite novel.

5. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

I find it a bit faster, and it's nice having content filtering (with an account) and phishing protection (standard) processed by the DNS server, and not using local system resources.

6. RTT

RTT #parp

why would it not be safe? it's just a DNS service :)

7. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Well I know very little about networking, anything else I'm fine.

Big words like LAN, WAN scare me (nah, im joking).

I'm guessing a DNS service just selects the right website to send to you to view in the www? These things really confuse me :(

8. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

Think of OpenDNS as an Internet phone book. It helps your computer get in touch with everyone on the interweb.