1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [CIP] Core4 [Last update: December 29th 2007]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by floriske.nl, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Spoken like a true Texan.
    This mod excited me from the first post. Love the work!

2. floriske.nl

floriske.nl What's a Dremel?

Small update

I know I promissed you a bigger update, but I forgot that my girlfriend has nightshift this weekend and sleeps during the day.
    It wouldn't be really nice of me if I would starting sawing and routing during the day would it ;)

But I do have a few things to show, so for the curious folks around here's a tiny update :D

[​IMG]

First of all my tool collection got an extra tool added to it this week thanks to an early "Sinterklaas" present (Wikipedia Explanation)) from my parrents. I borrowed their Jigsaw en that's why they new exactly what to give me :D

It's a nice addon to my collection and I'm saving up for a tabledrill and a sanding machine myself.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last weekend I went to a fellow dutch modder "43prcnt burnt" and picked up a stacker motherboard tray which he had bought for his project "Red Storm Ten" but didn't use. I was able to take it of his hands for a small amount of money and parts of it will be used for my poject.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

In the meantime I also finished the first two molds for milling the acryl panels. I'm going to make a duplicate of both before I actually start milling the panels, so I can clamp the Acryl-Panels in between these two molds. But first there's a lot of sanding left to do ;)

Last edited: 5 Nov 2010
  3. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

remembering your previous project "XIXIV" and the SU sketches and work
    so far ,I may even like this one better .................:thumb:

"Subscribed"

Alan

4. Frido

Frido Minimodder

The renders were more than enough for me to subscribe to this thread!!!!!

Great idea, f**k functionality and go for new and unexplored cases, to boldly go where no modder has gone before - it's more likely to be you, isn't it? ;)
    Are you going to route the cables down through the bottom and backwards through the rear plate (the one without the logos) - looks so... Nice idea!

Looking forward to see the completed project, but most of all - the PROCESS of making a mod like this is often better than seeing the finished case IMHO :) (Not that I'll think your case will be sh*tty, LOL, but you know what I mean)

/Frido

5. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

Looks like this is going to be a great case! It looks very very well thought out. The sketches look amazing.
    Good luck and I can't wait to see more progress.
    *Subscribed*

6. floriske.nl

Yes, you're absolutely right!

The motherboard will be mounted with the PCI rack down so that all connected cables will be hidden indside the square base of the case.
    The base in it's place will be "lifted" by (most likely rubber) feet so all cables can run underneath it to the back of the case. Eventually all you will see is a bundle of cables comming out of the case, no connections at all.

The PSU is a different story and I haven't thought a lot about the power cabling yet, this I will do when it's time to mount the hardware, but I do have some general ideas for it.

Furthermore thanks for all compliments again and I hope to be able to do some more work on the project the next couple of days.

7. SP1

SP1 What's a Dremel?

How thick is that plywood floriske?

8. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

That sounds like a great idea, looking forward to that part :)

Ah, those are two great tools :) The sander is a lot cheaper than mine, I guess you found that link in my project log :p You definately need a table drill, you get addicted after using it the first time ;)

9. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Looks great. A lot like darkblade though...

10. floriske.nl

It's 15mm thick " meranti hardwood"

Hehe, that will be one of the last parts of the project brinkz0r so you will have to be patient for a while :D

I did see the link in your project log indeed, but allready found it through google a few weeks earlier. It's one of the most affordable machine suppliers in the Netherlands.

Although DarkBlade is an amazing piece of work :jawdrop: I'd rather not compare it with my project.

First of all I first saw darkblade the first time a while after I made the design for this case, second of all I think my design differs a lot from darkblade and only has few comparisons to it.

Furthermore thanks for all compliments!

11. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

actually yea. That was a stupid comment. I should have said similar. And in a good way haha. I hope that router trick works. I want to do the same thing with aluminum but I'm scarred of messing up 1/2inch thick plate. Lol. SHOW ME HOW IT WORKS!!!

12. floriske.nl

narr, not a stupid comment! Stupid comments or questions don't exist, only stupid answers ;)

1/2 inch thick aluminum with a plunge router? Oompf! That's gonna be a nasty bugger!

My advise: Find somebody to do it for you :naughty: or don't be hasty, take your time and make shure you have the right equipment!

13. Frido

Frido Minimodder

I thought of the cabling in the back - how about getting something like this http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=324624 - mount it so all the cables will go through it, its made of the same material as your 4 poles, so I thought it'd go with the theme... Whatcha say? Ofcourse some other material / concept can be used - just wanted to get you my 2 cents :)

/Frido

14. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

It is looking great. I was really excited for more pictures when I saw that there were new posts. I was dissapointed with only answers and questions.....not that they were bad ones or anything!
    To finish that off, I look forward to the updates!

15. floriske.nl

Comments and ideas are always welcome! But I didn't plan on routing the cabling through something, most likely there are only 2 cables going to run out of the back of the case, monitor and power, to keep them as "thin" as possible I'll most likely just bundle them together.

Be patient my friend :D Like I said, I'm a quite busy bugger so updates might take a while sometimes :blush:

I've done some more work on the molds (read: Lots of sanding ;)) for the acryl panels and tonight I will start making the duplicates. Because you allready saw how I make them it's not really interesting to keep posting loads of pictures of it.

Once all molds are finished the intersting stuff starts :lol:

16. floriske.nl

First acryl panels cut

This might just be one of the most important updates of this project.
    Although the update itself isn't, but the things in it are ;)

Let's begin at the beginning:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

First of all last week I've been working on finishing the molds a few evenings.

I've made two copies of the original mold, this for two reasons:
    1. So that, when something goes wrong, I will always have the unharmed original
    2. If you look closely at the pictures you can see (middle of the stacks of 3 plates is the original) that the routed version becomes a tiny bit bigger than the mold itself, by making two copies I have two versions with the exact same size.
    Here's a part that was a minor setback and turned out a bit different than I eventually thought.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

To keep the amount of work on the panels as minimal as possbile I wanted to drill the center holes of the legs of the case in the molds so I could easilly drill them in the acryl panels.
    This would also come in handy to clamp the acryl panels in between the molds, two advantages in one step: the holes drilled in the panels as well as a way to clamp them in between the molds.

I printed and cut out the basic shapes of the molds with the exact spot of the holes on them and taped these onto the molds.

While drilling the holes it turned out to be difficult to get them in the exact right place because it's wood and the drill sort of seeks it's own way through.
    Eventually the difference was too big to be able to use them.

So I decided not to use these holes and later on drill the holes in the acryl panels some other way.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I had to think of another way to clamp the acryl panels in between the molds.

Because the center square of the panels will eventually be cut out as well it wasn't a problem to drill a few holes within it.
    So I roughly drew the shape of the center onto the molds and drilled the holes for clamping them together within it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

To make sure the acryl panels won't get scratched by the wood of the molds without having to cover them in masking tape I cut their rough shape out of cardboard, so I can clamp the acryllic panels in between these two cardboards panels.

[​IMG]

Here's the first panel clamped in between the molds.

[​IMG]

and here it is after routing it, the end result will follow soon :p

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

But first some pictures my girlfriend took while I was rounting the second panel :blush:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And here's the final result :dremel: I'm very pleased with it, the routing goes very well and the result is beyond my expectations.

Just for your info, the above pictures are taken right after I took the panels out of the molds, no sanding paper has been used yet!

For those who might have noticed, there was a minor flaw in the mold for the smallest panel, but fortunatelly I was able to fix this with some extra sanding and will be able to fix it in the first cut panel as well

So far for this, In my opinion very succesfull, update

Last edited: 5 Nov 2010
  17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Successful, indeed!
    Now you only need... what? 300 more?:D

18. floriske.nl

w00t luckilly not :dremel: there are 11 more left to do, but most likely I'll make 1 or two extra of each version in case something would go wrong.

While we're at it, and this might be in your worklog but I didn't get to reading it completely, I would love to know what you used to pollish the edges of your acryllic?

19. floriske.nl

It's been a while since I have posted here, but here I am again ;)

I have some bad news for some of you (who are dying to see a new update):

There is some delay in the progress of the project, because me and my girlfriend bought ourselves a house last week.

As you can imagine there are a lot of things that have to be arranged for it and there is also some work to do on the house as well (It's brand new and still needs a bathroom, kitchen etc.) some of this work will be done by myself.

We expect to move in at the beginning of march and till then we are quite busy with all kinds of stuff because of which I won't have much time to work on my project.

I want to try to do some work in between, but can't promise anything.

As soon as we moved in our new house and I have more time I will start working on it more frequent again.

Till then please be patient ;)

20. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Best of luck with the house modding! :)