1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 3D CPUs to speed computing

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 7 Dec 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

I feel the heatsinks for these would be interesting.

3. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

need for speed of course............

4. Djizasse

Djizasse What's a Dremel?

That was my first thought :D
    Was also thinking how the socket would be, 6 sided socket connection, with channels for cooling?

5. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

picture needing enough room for 5 tuniq towers. one for each side. maybe a mini version of each...

6. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Haha.. I read article and was trying to figure out how it would work in any manner of high efficiency

7. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

Does this mean we might be getting Processors that are spears with wire jacks on them?

8. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

The Allspark....

9. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Providing that the processors aren't hugely 3D, I see know reason why the cooling would have to change much. After all, current processors are multi layered, and these new ones should be more power efficient. Though I have to admit, the mental image of a processor set up like a mini nuclear reactor with cooling running through it is quite cool...

10. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

It won't last long, we'll find something even better in 10 years. All we need is a giant to take a step forward.

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

the processor isn't 3D....... (i know i can't take a joke)

they basically says the gates can be overlapped, so opposed to traditional 1 layer of transistors, they can now have multi-layered, so have multiple times the original building space, thus 100MB cache on a CPU may become possible with the current manufacturing technology.

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

if intel or amd don't pick this up i bet via or any other small cpu maker will pinch this technology and become a serious cpu maker rapist....
    imagine a cell processor with this, or IBM snatching this and making God like cpus...

13. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I read the Intel tech on this about 3 or 4 years ago. It was a bad idea then and it's a bad idea now. There is no way the heat would be dissipated fast enough.

14. serialnuber2012

serialnuber2012 \/\/ho-isky

somebody better get out and patent the trademark, "cinderblock" or something... it almost seems like an obvious name for a 3d cpu. "The Cinderblock Tephra -- with pyroclastic flow technology!"

(Tephra is air-fall material produced by a volcanic eruption regardless of composition or fragment size. Tephra is typically rhyolitic in composition as most explosive volcanoes are the product of the more viscous felsic or high silica magmas.)

15. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Unless I completely missed the boat, the rest of you have. The article isn't (primarily?) about stacking transistors on top of each other, its about changing their functional orientation. At present, the structure of a transistor is a three dimensional mass of columns and other micro-silicon based structures that have varying electrical properties that allow for them to function as the transistors that make up logic circuits. So far as I can tell, all they are doing is changing the basic orientation so that instead of the silicate layers needed to make the transistors being stacked on top of each other, they're piled next to each other, with the "wires" following the typical design methods of today's processors.

Or am I horribly horribly wrong? :D

16. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I'm baffled how chipmakers didn't come up with and apply this before... I had an idea exactly like this (staggered vertical arrangement of transistors) to reduce die size as transistor counts began to increase dramatically around the the time of K8. I find die size to be particularly important for video cards rather than processors as they have not yet adopted widespread use of multiple graphics cores on one card rather than one gigantic and powerful one. Besides, transistor size isn't getting smaller as quick as it used to, so this sort of arrangement of transistors will have to be adopted soon enough.

17. liquid_gen

liquid_gen What's a Dremel?

I agree, I think heat would be a serious bottleneck for this technology. I think that however you increase speed, you're going to increase temperature and this is already the biggest limiting factor.

18. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

19. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

I have a need for speed and also a need to pay the bills.

Sadly those two can't exist together so I'll go and cry in the corner now :(

Tags: Add Tags