1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Case Modding Tools

Discussion in 'Modding' started by lilspooky, 8 Dec 2007.

1. lilspooky

lilspooky What's a Dremel?

Not sure in which forum to put this exactly but here goes...

I'm looking to do some case modification on my COOLER MASTER CM Stacker STC-T01 for a new water cooling setup I've recently purchased. Specifically what I'm trying to accomplish is to lengthen the already rectangular vent on the bottom side of the case in order to accommodate a larger radiator (PA120.3).

What kind of tool could I use to do such a job? Right now all I have is a dremel with various attachments, while I know I "could" do the job with it the results would be less than stellar. The closest thing I can find is this Ryobi Reciprocating Saw but I have no idea if it would actually work, you all will have to left me know.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&endecaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.catalog.beans.EndecaDataBean%407c24a16a&keyword=RJ161VK&jspStoreDir=hdus&productId=100043752&searchRedirect=RJ161VK&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ddkey=Navigation

If that wouldn't work what other mildly low-cost solution (less than $150) can I use to get the job done?

2. h_2_o

h_2_o What's a Dremel?

honestly i would not go that route, that is overkill and will probably not produce the outcome you desire. imho i would look into a saber or jig saw (depening on who makes it they all call them something different) with metal blades. just an example of what i'm talking about, i don't own this one so i can not recommend it

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917234000P?keyword=saber+saw

3. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

I personally dont think you can beat the accuracy and control a Dremel gives you. As long as you have a flexi-shaft attachment and proper high strength metal cutting dics you will be fine. I always cut about a mm away from the desired line and sand down the rest.

4. lilspooky

lilspooky What's a Dremel?

That's good to know Cyprio, you just saved me $150+ on power tools. I'm personally a big fan of dremels since I've used them over the years modding paintball marks so that comes as some good news.

5. h_2_o

h_2_o What's a Dremel?

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I'd get a Dremel with reinforced cutoff wheels

7. francisl1420

francisl1420 What's a Dremel?

Get some decent cutting disks for your dremel. No point spending money on a jigsaw if your only going to use it for this.