1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UPDATE!!!! ViewSonic VG150 repair (help needed)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mrlanrat, 14 Jun 2007.

1. mrlanrat

mrlanrat What's a Dremel?

Hi, I have a broken ViewSonic VG150 that a friend gave me. http://www.viewsonic.com/support/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/graphicseries/vg150/index.htm
    http://files.world0.com/pictures/VS_LCD/lcd.JPG
    The problems is that it wont display the image. (the screen remains white) http://files.world0.com/pictures/VS_LCD/on.JPG

I know that the controller board can talk to the lcd because the menu works.
    http://files.world0.com/pictures/VS_LCD/menu.JPG

And here is it doing auto-adjust (which doesn't help)
    http://files.world0.com/pictures/VS_LCD/auto-adjust.JPG

Here is a picture of the back (if it helps)
    http://files.world0.com/pictures/VS_LCD/back.JPG

And the inside of the back and a close up of the lcd controller/analog to digital converter.
    http://files.world0.com/pictures/VS_LCD/inside.JPG
    http://files.world0.com/pictures/VS_LCD/controler.JPG

When I plug this into my computer it recognizes it as a 1024x768 lcd. So my computer can talk to the controller but the controller for some reason isn't displaying the image on the lcd. Any idea why?

Thanks in advance!

Update: New info (scroll down) and links updated.

Last edited: 8 Dec 2007
  2. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

What is that 9-pin connection that goes though the ferrite and has the other end free, connection to the buttons?

I would start off checking the continuity off all the pins in the VGA cable. can the OSD tell you what resolution/frequency the display is running at even though it doesnt display anything?

3. mrlanrat

Yha, that cable goes to the buttons. And I have tried 3 vga cables. All of which I know work (I use them on other monitors). What do u mean by "OSD"? I'm guessing operating system, and yes. When plugged into my laptop as a 2nd display it detects it and it gets the resolutions it can run at and the frequency.

4. mrlanrat

5. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

on screen display...

on my lcd when I'm running it, I can click though the menu and it will display somewhere "1280 x 1024 72hz" etc.... if it displays that but with no picture, then you at least know that hsync and vsync are getting though to the controller.

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

You'll need to go to the Misc section on the OSD, that should tell you what res it's running at.

Remove the PCB and check that the cable connecting to the LCD is in correctly, normally they're in slide latch slots so you'll have to gently pull the restraint out then the cable.

7. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

i had one like that and it did the same thing,
    it was a cold solder on the pcb(loose solder joint)
    over on the corner of the pcb by the ribbon cable.
    my be the same problem.

8. mrlanrat

Yha Iv already done this. No luck. I was talking to WarriorRocker for a while about it. He seems to think that the problem is a fried analog/digital converter. This makes sens but i want to still try to get it to work.

the OSD says it running at
    VESA 1024 x 768
    Mode: 11
    H: -48.12 KHZ
    V: -50 HZ

Also as a side note: when the LCD is not plugged into my computer the LCD says no input on a black background. So the LCD only turns white when it is plugged into and enabled on my computer. And another note (probably unrelated) whenever I plug this monitor into my Vista Laptop with Pidgin running Pidgin gets a c++ runtime error and quits unexpectantly. I'm guessing that this is just a but with pidgin and dual monitor support. (if it makes any difference in getting this LCD to work)

9. mrlanrat

Does anyone have any ideas?

Please...

10. mrlanrat

UPDATE!!!

Well for some reason I took this monitor out of storage to test it again. and I noticed something different. When it turns on it displays the computer screen for a slit second then fades out. So it looks like the A/D chip is somewhat good. So what does this mean? Is it still not fixable or does it have a chance?

Thanks!

11. h_2_o

h_2_o What's a Dremel?

try something silly for me will ya. boot up your fav os, unplug your monitor, plug that sucker in and then get the brightest flashlight you can and point it at the screen. if you see the background it is either the inverter or the backlight itself. I know this does not sound right because you get that white screen as mentioned in the first post, but i've seen very similar actions on laptops before that ended up being either the backlight or inverter.

good luck

12. mrlanrat

I do not see the screen, only white. (remember the OSD still works)

13. h_2_o

h_2_o What's a Dremel?

i've seen osd working on monitors before and it still be the backlight that is why i suggested that. it almost sounds like the controller board itself at this point. IIRC the controller board does not really control the osd part of it but more the input be it vga or dvi.

14. mrlanrat

Correct. but what I want to know is, is it fixable? and if so how... I would really like a LCD monitor (im still stuck with CRT's and I don't have the $ to buy anything)

Also, on a side note. why is this in Modding? I don't think I put it there, I think I eather Started this in Hardware & Software or Tech Support.

15. h_2_o

h_2_o What's a Dremel?

well yes it is fixable, however with the price of lcd's dropping through the floor the cost of a new controller for that lcd might and probably is more than a new one would cost. it might be something to keep around or keep an eye out on e-bay or something like that for the same model with a busted lcd that way you could Frankenstein them together and make a working unit.

16. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

To me it sounds like one of three things:

1: Bad solder join. Look over them all (including the ones on SMD components) Look for very tiny cracks, or join that are a bit gray. (not shiny)
    2: Dry/blown capacitor. Look for any bursted or bulging caps. If you have the time, unsolder all of them and measure if they have about the correct values.
    3: Other broken component. Could be about impossible to find if you don't know what you are doing. You could of course unsolder every single component and measure them. (the values are normally printed on most components). If it's a controller chip you are out of luck.

Oh, try to get a can of ice spray. turn on the monitor, and gently start spraying different areas of the PCB. If it starts to work when a certain area gets cold it's likely that the problem is there.

17. falseadress

falseadress What's a Dremel?

Hey, i got to this place using google. I think that it has bad capaictors, It uses G-luxon capacitors. It dosen't show any damage but the stuff inside still could dry out. If you don't want to fix that monitor, can you sell it to me? I got 2x of thoose monitors both have that white screen problem, one has bad ccfl and a cracked screen. I need a few more monitors to mix and match to get a fully functional one.

18. Squadexodus

Squadexodus I got my cookie. What about you?

Is it just me, or are CRT and PSUs the one thing you really shouldn't tinker with?

19. desertstalker

desertstalker What's a Dremel?

Except that this is a LCD, so there is no real danger.

20. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Nope. There is a lot of things you shouldn't tinker with. Nothing is dangerous as long as you know what you are doing, though. ;)