1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 11 Dec 2007.

1. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

What the fu**? Is nVidia trying to wring down its products by competing with their own cards? Seems like they can't make up their mind; like an automaker who competes with its own cars for the same market segment, it just doesn't make sense and is unnecessary.

2. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

Is that supposed to be there or did I miss something?

3. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

man, i wish there wasn't such a shortage of G92... my GT that I ordered still hasn't shipped.. I can but hope that this new card helps fix that somehow :-/

4. Major

Major Guest

I'll wait until the eVGA cards are in as I'll like to step up in the future as I think the new D9E is being released January/Febuary time?

5. mWMA

mWMA What's a Dremel?

For that much money one could buy 2 8800GT 256MB ($180 each) and have a SLI setup to beat the thing at higher resolution. Ofcourse the only downlside to that would the SLI driver support problem but 2-3 weeks of wait usually get those problems resolved.

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

I don't think SLI is the way forwards with 256MB 8800 GTs, as you'll be limited to using lower-resolution textures with those cards (look at the 640MB vs. 320MB 8800 GTS results for an example).

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

that BFG card is very nice, that'd be the one i buy if i don't have my GTX......... but seeing GTX is still the KING, i'd hold off upgrading and wait for 9800GTX :)

the heatsink on these looks ace! i love how they've removed the vents, so now the user can put a card next to their graphics card without worrying the hot air cooking it for dinner.
    by the way, anyone know how many heatpipes does GTX have?

so, am i right in saying the new GTS is a shader powerhouse that lacks in memory bandwidth?
    and that an overclocked GTX can beat GTS 512MB no problem?

8. Major

Major Guest

I guess?

But then you can OC the GTS.

9. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

when useing SLI or cards like the 7950 GX2 1gb (bit of an lie ,that infact is 512MB per card) Each card has its set limit and that is per card getting 2 cards does not double the amout of ram that can be used as both cards need the same textures

256mb cards in SLI perform poory and have to have lower texture settings to make them fit 256mb

10. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

So, the next question is: When is NVidia going to take the basis of this GPU, add more SPs to it, and add back the 256-bit bus from the GTX? That would be a killer card.

192 SPs, 256-bit memory bus (Or higher), 768 (Or 1024) MB Memory, clock the heck out of it, wipe the floor with everything for the NEXT 2 years...

Heck, something like that, it'd have enough raw compute power to run OpenRT!

11. trig

trig god's little mistake

i paid 290 for my gt...evga superclocked...cheapest i see this is on newegg for 360. so a $70 increase (23% or so) for 5-10% performance increase. the only thing i could see is maybe the oc headroom is better due to the better cooling solution. any chance of an oc run on it tim?

12. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

bought mine off scan yesterday - should be here tomorow :)

13. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

These are G92 - they are replacing (ish) the G80 - does that mean we will have a G90 based GTX/Ultra?

14. Major

Major Guest

Which brand mate?

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

There is something new coming, as we reported here, but I don't know what GPU it's based on or any real details of it atm.

Sorry I've been a bit slow answering questions... you'll see why shortly. ;)

16. Major

Major Guest

No one has the EVGA in stock, why is this? :(

17. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

Don't wanna rain on anybodies parade here but OCuk are doing an OEM 8800GTX for £235 this week! :jawdrop:

Kinda puts the £225 for a new GTS into perspective huh?

Infact, I might even get one myself, volt mod it, stick my EK block on it and have some chrimbo fun :) :dremel:

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'll have some OCing on some of these cards soon. :)

I've got some ideas for the next high-end chip, but it'd be nothing but speculation at this time... educated speculation mind you. I'm thinking a 192SP part at the high end.

Thanks for that spot - was a C&P error :blush:

I agree, I think the GT is a fantastic product and this isn't all that much faster to make it worth the upgrade... if I was going for the GTS, I'd probably go the whole way and get a GTX unless I needed the video processing hardware on the GTS/GT.

I'd probably go with the GTS, but then it depends on your budget and I honestly wouldn't bother with anything that isn't stock clocked at the moment (unless it's at a VERY GOOD price), as it's just going to get too close to the GTX and I'd say that is more likely to suit your needs in the long run (more memory bandwidth and higher fill/AA sample rates).

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

:eeek:

20. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

Good to see you agree Tim :D

I like the way you included the whole "Volt mod and EK block" bit; something you'd encourage/condone?

I know if I was in the market for a new card I would buy an 8800gt or with a higher budget a 8800GTX (the 8800GTS just is not worth it when you consider the £10 difference).

I really don't know what to do myself though. At the moment, I have pretty high clocks on my GTS 640MB (see sig) and I seem to bench (in real world testing anyways) pretty close to a stock clocked GTX.

I think I'm probably best waiting to see what the new year brings for Nvidia and whether or not their recent years trouncing of AMD/ATi sees them resting on their laurels a little. Though with your (educated) guess of 192SP being touted, that seems unlikely and hopefully we'll see another gem. I mean it's been over a year now since the 8800GTX was released and nothing yet has bettered it. With that in mind the "9800" series should be something pretty special.

Or maybe if I can pick up a real cheap 8800GTS 640MB, I'll whack another in for some SLi fun.

Tags: Add Tags