1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding How can I make these buttons?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by pilau, 12 Dec 2007.

1. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

people have really come up with some over complicated ways imo.

Simply make the clear plastic button, get some black plastic sheet, cut out the symbol with a craft knife and stick it on the back of the button. You may even be able to find some plastic sheet that is already sticky on one side.

2. gnidnu

gnidnu Beware of the Tofu!

I told a even more simple method before. Just print black on a transparent paper/foil, except for the symbol, then place it behind the button. Cutting plastic sheets sounds more difficult + it may not look as clean as a printed symbol + it may be more expensive.

Last edited: 14 Dec 2007
  3. pilau

pilau What's a Dremel?

I really like your method, gindnu, however, don't yot think placing the icon sheet on the back side of the button will cause the icon lighting to get blurred on the front side?

And for those of you wondering where I live - it's Israel, so I was counting more on globaly-delivering websites, like farnell.com, I just don't know how to search these hardware websites. They are so complicated because they contain so many electric components and details that I get lost. Then I thought maybe you could help. Thanks! :)

Last edited: 16 Dec 2007
  4. gnidnu

gnidnu Beware of the Tofu!

If you use clear acrylic as a button and place the printed foil/paper behind, the light won't get blurred at all. I already saw this in a worklog - lost the link though - and it looked really fine.

5. devenfore

devenfore LANCandy

Have you considered having someone Vinyl Cut them? Would cost like $5 or less, and you could use them as a spray mask to remove later, or just apply them to the back of the button.

Tell you what pilau, you pay the shipping (from the USA) and send me the images and I will cut them out of vinyl for free. PM me if you are interested.

Good luck :)

6. DarthDVD_AU

DarthDVD_AU Whats a dremel compaired to a lazer

[​IMG]
    I've got a few Power Button Covers Spare if you want some.

For the Vandal resistant buttons that i used to stick my covers to i got them from
    www.performance-pcs.com deliver world wide (must have paypal)

7. pilau

pilau What's a Dremel?

Sorry for double posting!

Last edited: 15 Dec 2007
  8. pilau

pilau What's a Dremel?

Wow, thanks for the magnificent offers you guys!

@Darth_DVD: Thanks for the website, it seems to have lots if resources, I'm pretty sure I will use it for many things apart from the buttons. Say, do these covers allow the light to emmit through the power icon? And did you place the covers on the buttons, ore behind them? By the way, which buttons on PC-Performance.com did you use for the covers?

@Devenfore: Thank you very much for the offers! I'd really like it. But first of all I will have to get the measurments for the buttons, before I place an order for the covers. Maybe you have a suggestion on other buttons as well that might be fit? The buttons on PC-Performance website doesn't seem to fit right because their light surface is looks too small. I hope you understand me. I'm looking for something like the b utton in the image of my first post.

9. DarthDVD_AU

The Covers I had made by a local sign making company that does laser engraving.
    (i had two different button types made the other was a hdd-activity and reset cover of a unique design)

I used the silver vandal resistant one with the blue and another that had orange bot in the middle... I purchased these before they came out with the black buttons.
    and then i super glued them on to the button (Careful With what Glue you do use as I've still not found the right one)

[​IMG]
    without light. The engraving when unlit looks like its white or is cloudy.

[​IMG]
    And yes... the light does shine though.

10. pilau

pilau What's a Dremel?

They look so neat, Darth_DVD!

Tell me something, can you give me sizes or dimensions of the switch and icon cover, so I could work out my design better? I'll be grateful.

By the way, what're "vandal-resistant" buttons?

Devenfore, this weekend, when I'll get home, I'll start working on the covers for my buttons. Thanks a lot! :D

11. DarthDVD_AU

Vandal resistant buttons are very resistant against heavy abuse (such as repeated strikes)
    are normally made out of metal (but there is some plastic ones as well)
    [​IMG]
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=375

I would have gotten the black colored switches but they didn't have any at the time.
    so i had to make a black cover with a laser engraved power symbol to show the light though it.
    [​IMG]
    "/\Planning Render/\"
    (hdd-Reset design i have changed from the one shown above)
    however this leaves a silver ring around it.. i think ill keep it that way instead of painting it.

I chose them because they had a lighted dot in the middle...
    plus i didn't need to go ahead a make my own button..
    they are a bit pricey but the build quality would be very very good and have the right look for my case (thinking of putting up a work log for it shortly).
    you can get the specs off www.Bulgin.com however they dont tell you how wide the push button is (where you push it down) or how big the lighted area is...
    14.5mm for the push down area and
    10mm for the lighted area (i dont know imperial)

12. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

When I needed buttons for my homebrew projector I was looking for a similar way to create thos type of symbols. I tried drilling/engraving but the edges ended up with a bad finish. So I bought an aircompressor with a point blasting ad on. If you got acess to an aircompressor you could get the blasting add on from around $15 I think (the cheapest one will do). What I did was to cut out pieces of normal "office" tape and the taping it on the button in a pattern to create a template. In my case the buttons was made out of alu, and I was only looking for a engraving, but it works just as good if you paint the whole bakside of the plexi button black and then sandblast the symbol on the black paint. the paint disapear and you get nice straight edges and a even frosted surface of the symbol. In my case, the buttons was so small it was hard to create that O/1 symbol, but I managed it one time,but only on a test button :(. anyway, it might be easier for you since your buttons are probably bigger.

Here is a shot of my results from page 7 of my worklog.
    [​IMG]

/GNU

13. pilau

pilau What's a Dremel?

They look awesome GNU, like they where made for mass production!

Anyway, Darth_DVD, maybe you know of a cheaper solution? Those buttons are way expensive, and if I need 5 of them it's 100$ for the entire deal, without shipping costs.

And besides, I need buttons that have the LED lighting always on, and I would like a 2-color LED, you see. (red and green). Well, I ask you this, because you have these buttons - Can you replace the LEDs on these buttons from performance-pcs? Because if so, I could both put a 2-color LED and wire it how I want. What do you say?

14. DarthDVD_AU

GNU... how big are your buttons?

15. DarthDVD_AU

you could replace the led in the middle however there is only enough space for the one led. and you really have to be very very VERY good with a soldering iron.
    as for it being on all the time... im just running my though a led controller to make it pulse like that
    oh i do admit that the vandal resistant ones are very expensive but im also buying them at retail...
    its only the covers i had custom made.. and thats the only cheap thing about them..

there is another button you can try... but i didnt like the look... and it was way to big.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and it draws 12volts for the light in it... unless you replace it with a led... which you can get from www.ozstick.com.au

16. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

Another option would be to print the blacked out areas onto glossy paper with a laser printer, and then iron them to clrea acrylic, you then soak off the paper to be left with the design. See this Link on pcb manufacture that uses the same technique.

17. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

the button diameter is 6-7mm, symbols are 3mm

/GNU

18. francisl1420

francisl1420 What's a Dremel?

Where did you get those stickers from?

19. pilau

pilau What's a Dremel?

You got to be kidding me, arcade buttons :D Yeah, you're right, they're way too big.

Well I guess I'll keep searching for buttons. Thanks!

20. DarthDVD_AU

Hi Francis,

i had them specially made for me.
    but these are no stickers... (i wish they had a sticky back)
    just a acrylic button cover with one side of thin black colored plastic and then clear acrylic on the other side... the black side gets laser engraved off.
    the laser engraving makes the symbol appear white when its not lit up and when it is.. will show any colored light though it.
    as for where i got it done i used a local sign/marketing/printing place.

ive got tons of these covers left.. and one of a hdd activity and reset cover as well.