1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Rustic Computer: FINISHED!! 19-12-2007

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Gumbatron, 21 Nov 2007.

1. Gumbatron

Gumbatron What's a Dremel?

@tolis86: Sorry mate, I didn't get around to making a video of the switches. I did manage to take a pic of them in the dark though. It's not the best pic in the world, but hopefully it'll give you an idea of what they look like in action:

[​IMG]

@ZeroHerO: Thanks, and feel free to copy any of my ideas. After all, imitation is the highest form of flattery :blush:

@Cheapskate: I did a little flamability test on a scrap of leather a few minuites ago. It took quite a while to ignite and once lit, it tended to go out by itself. So, I think it would be at least as safe as techflex (nylon sleeving). Your description of the stitching method made perfect sense to me. I had considered doing something like that. But it would have taken a lot more time to do. So I decided that the straight stitching would be enough. Otherwise I'd probably still be stitching now :D

@Everyone Else: Thank You for sharing your thoughts and comments. I really apreciate it.

Well, this is it. It's all done :clap:

I took the opertunity of a sunny afternoon to take a few photos of the finished case. I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with the final
    result, it even looks a fair bit like the original design:

[​IMG]

To:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once again, thank you to everyone for reading my project log. I hope you have enjoyed it.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas :thumb:

Cheers,
    Gumbatron

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It looks quite at home in that lush grass.
    I can understand why you don't want to re-stitch. You are more likely to stab you fingers with the other style, too! (-And it's a b*tch to pull a needle through leather...)
    I guess we can look forward to you next build then?

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It looks quite at home in that lush grass.
    I can understand why you don't want to re-stitch. You are more likely to stab you fingers with the other style, too! (-And it's a b*tch to pull a needle through leather...)
    I guess we can look forward to you next build then?

4. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Sweet. Beautiful job, man. Beautiful. Your mum should be quite happy with it. It's a one-of-a-kind!

5. bluealien1

bluealien1 What's a Dremel?

Really great job, the outcome is awesome!

6. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

i think a darker stain would have been nicer. but overall it is great.

7. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

looks great.
    nice job.

8. Major

Major Guest

Very nice job.

Actually looks like the designs you set out at the start. :)

9. tolis86

tolis86 What's a Dremel?

ΜΑΝ..its great..

10. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

^^What they said.

A great looking case, with some very nice touches, like the leather sleeving on the psu. Congrats on a job well done!

11. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Awesome :clap: I think i've said it already, that thing looks like it's straight out of the WWII era, even the leather power sleeving - that stuff suit's perfectly! It's a shame it wont be seen. The sata cables suit well also.
    I personally would go for more of a walnut/med-brown shade. The current stain is what my dad absolutely loves tho, he would go gaga for a xmas present like that...
    My dad would like it alot, he'd love the nice thick wood, the big fans, and the big buttons. You're making me feel guilty now :waah:

12. Heero195

Heero195 What's a Dremel?

It really is great work. The theme is perfect. The only thing is the leather wrap around the wires might heat up if you not careful and make the room smell of hot leather...then again that may be a plus.