1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics I have a 17" flat panel monitor....

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Thacrudd, 17 Dec 2007.

1. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

I currently have a 17" flat panal monitor made by Northgate Innovations. It works good except that it only works in 1280x768 resolution. If it is set in any other res it turns on and off over and over. When I turn the computer on it turns on and off through the diagnostics check and bios but when windows boots with the 1280x768 res it stops. I am not using it at the moment and I would like to know what ideas you all might have for it or even how to make it stop flashing like that. Northgate went out of business a couple years ago so I can't even get any drivers for it. Any suggestions?:D:dremel:

2. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Normally this is caused by the monitor trying to switch between analog and digital input. If you can, use the DVI output on your gfx card. If you don't have one then you will just have to live with it, and NO, a VGA to DVI adapter won't work. It will still be in analog mode.

3. Thacrudd

I apologize it is 1024x768. And it is analog input and I've tried both types of outputs from GFX cards to no avail, but thank you for your help. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do with it? I'm itchin to do something fun with it

4. markp

markp What's a Dremel?

Not quite sure this is the right forum for this, but anyway...

A friend of mine had a bad DVI cable that would only let his 22" monitor run at 1024x768 or less. A quick test with a cable from the office revealed it to be the cable that it was supplied with, and Dell shiped him a replacement.

5. Thacrudd

I'll try a different cable (it's VGA though) its definately worth a shot. Thank you. The other half of the question was how can you mod an LCD? I've seen them on the sides of case and things, but what else is there to do with it?

6. makkone-

makkone- Gentlemen.

how about your gfx drivers? u sure they are working ok?

7. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

it wouldnt turn on and off repeatedly during boot up if there was a problem with the graphics drivers. The graphics drivers aren't even loaded then. This is a hardware problem.

8. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I too am thinking its a dodgey VGA cable.

Plus for most 17" LCD their native resolution is 1024x768 it won't display any higher resolution as there are no more pixels. For lower resolutions it should upscale to 1024x768

As for mod ideas for it you can strip it back and put it in a case, you can make an acrylic bezel for it like this, you can make it into a home made projector with an overhead projector, instructions here.

9. Thacrudd

Thanks Ratchet, just what I was looking for. Any Ideas are welcome!