1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits bit-tech's Top 10 Games of 2007

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 18 Dec 2007.

1. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

72 gaming hours on one game is an 'only' now Joe? Now that's hardcore!

2. Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner What's a Dremel?

Well I'd put COD4 at the top of the list (having played most of these bar Crysis). I do agree that the endless spawing of enemies does make the game suffer. But what makes this game amazing is the multiplayer. It's so much fun, and unlocking all the perks and items becomes strangely addictive. It's so good, I just see the single player as a nice bonus to the package. I highly recommend trying it out.

3. naokaji

naokaji whatever

orange box really deserved to win, (i really hope no valve representives read this thread) i mean its so good they could prolly have sold portal and eq2 and tf2 each as a full price title....

then bioshock and cod4,

then crysis and ut3..

crysis got good graphics, bioshock a good story and atmosphere, ut3 and cod4 got superb multiplayer.. but none of those has all. so orange box wins allready for being the most complete game.

4. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

We can all argue our personal preferences, but I think we all agree that this was credible Top 10 unlike many we see. [I'm not convinced by any game containing a plumber called Mario, but I'll bow to the judgement of the Holy Trinity].

I think this is the best year yet for gaming. So many good titles, all pulling a little something extra out of the bag. I think we are looking forward to a decent year next year too.... Alan Wake, Fallout 3... any others?

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

Starcraft 2 might sneak out next year if we're lucky :D

6. Mithent

Mithent What's a Dremel?

Just thought I'd note that BioWare didn't develop Planescape: Torment; that was Black Isle, part of Interplay (many of them went on to Obsidian). They did use BioWare's Infinity Engine, though, and BioWare's early games were also published through Black Isle - just to be confusing.

7. Einhanderkiller

Einhanderkiller What's a Dremel?

<3 The Orange Box

8. Design_Master

Design_Master Presenting: LUMINA

Very good games in the list!

However, in my opinion you forgot Medal of Honor: Airborne. Oh dear! This is by far the BEST GAME OF THE YEAR!! :rock:

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

An honourable mentions or whatever at the end might have been a good idea, although I suppose that bit may have been a bit long.

I don't agree with putting the orange box in though, they're three separate games that have been sold in a bundle and should each be judged on their own, although that may have ended up with all three at the top anyway :p

10. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Yay for Orange box !
    World in conflicy screen points to portal... slight buggie.

I completely agree with the top 10.

11. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

stalker would be number 2 for me with EP2 and portal number one... the rest were boring and more of the same.

12. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

Man there were so many good games this year its not even funny! I guess everyone's list is going to be a little different, personally I would've placed Halo 3 and Mass Effect muuuuuch higher and I've never even heard of S.T.A.W.T.F.L.K.E.R but that's just me. Also it seemed to me (from reading reviews throughout the interwebs) that Crysis didn't have much going for it besides it's ridiculous graphics. Seems kind of odd that it's higher on a list than both Halo 3 and CoD4.

13. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

I agree the orange box as game of the yr, thats where it ends. You can drop all console
    games I'm a pc gamer although I do miss that little plumber mario from many yrs ago. here
    is my pc list:
    1-the orange box
    2-cod 4
    3-crysis
    4-bioshock
    5-stalker
    I rated the orange box 1st as a package deal not any one game in the package other wise
    cod4 would have been my choice for game of the year

14. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I don't know if Bioshock would have made my top 10.
    I would have had CoD4 higher as the multiplayer is brilliant, I just hope they introduce larger maps soon though.
    Only played a couple of hour of Crysis and damn it's fun, and looks great even on an X1950 Pro.

TF2 makes Orange Box, top game.

15. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I will *NEVER* understand the world's fascination with Halo. :sigh:

16. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Was a good top 10 list i feel.

Horay for Orange Box! IMHO it deserves #1 for Portal alone, the best game i've played in years :thumb: but when bundled in with the other 2 games it's just an astoundingly great package.

I also agree with the Bioshock #2, i'm actually on my 3rd complete run through of the game now, which is unusual as i rarely play FPS's through more than once.

Mario? bleh, i'd swapped Zelda on the DS there myself ;) (but must admit i've not played the mario game :p)

I haven't played any of the other games in the list apart from crysis demo version, so can't comment on those really

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

well, seems like we've got a xbox360 gamer here.

STALKER was one of the major release for FPS-RPG game, as for Crysis, you need to fully experience it to know how great it is. sure, the gameplay gets old after a while, but that doesn't make it a bad game, in fact, i consider Crysis to be up there, with Bioshock and Orange Box because of its developer's courage to push the boundaries of gaming.

18. Matt_117

Matt_117 What's a Dremel?

Such a difficult choice, so many great games this year across all formats, especially in the FPS genre. COD4 scrapes it for me, Halo 3 just behind. Both amazingly atmospheric games, highly immersive.

19. Carbon_Arc

Carbon_Arc What's a Dremel?

This should go down as one of the great years so far in PC gaming.

Glad to see STALKER made your top 10, it's probably my top game of the year, but then im a big fan of the idea it's based on and the book/film it draws plot from.

UT3, Bioshock, Portal, TF2, EP2, they are all great games.

20. evanbraakensiek

evanbraakensiek What's a Dremel?

'bit-tech's Top 10 Games of 2007' - Should have been 'Top 10 Single player Games of 2007'

'When the dust cleared, Quake Wars was left dead and bleeding, while UT3 managed to walk calmly out, secure in the knowledge that its delicate balance of complex mechanics and streamlined game design made it the most superior multiplayer shooter on the market.'

I'm really beginning to tire of people who don't play games competitively and are completely linear in their opinions about what makes a good game. The list is nearly completely fps dominated and some of the choices are just ludicrous. I would happily spend 2000-3000 hours playing CoD4 multi-player over the next year or two and yet some bug infested **** like Unreal Tournament 3 or STALKER ranks beside or above it.

I guarantee if half of those games didn't have the budget to invest so heavily into graphics, the developers wouldn't know what to do or how to make a 'good' game. There is a reason why the most successful and popular games of all time are still played and it has nothing to do with graphics.

Tags: Add Tags