1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 'Sex Workers' says GTA normalises violence

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Dec 2007.

1. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Oh come on, video games don't make people do stuff they wouldn't normally do

2. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

:hehe: (Now they might say you're trying to steel their jobs.)

I understand your point and partly agree. The problem I have is that they are trying to normalize one "profession" that I feel shouldn't even exist (well, that one and collectors of useless gossip "entertainment reporters").

3. Edenalig

Edenalig What's a Dremel?

:hehe: Not what I meant but you made it sound funnier :clap:

4. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

How the hell did I miss this article?!

Should probably start reading the papers again.

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It's not that I think they're a 'lower form of human'.

I'm just pissed they're jumping on the 'blame video games for our misfortune'.

I've had enough of people pinning blame for their own situation, that only they have the power to change, straight on someone elses shoulders, in this case, GTA.

Yes GTA does feature hookers, and yes, you can beat them senseless, but if you're going to be a hooker in the real world and then blame all the crap you get on a game?

6. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I'm surprised Kingpin wasn't mentioned. That was at least 10 times more violent/derogatory to women than every Gran Theft Auto installment combined...

They're just blaming a popular media mule for violence. Stupid.

7. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

They had to pick one which has been in the news/media recently. And one which is very well known.

8. evox

evox What's a Dremel?

Oh, yeah right :\

9. SomeGuySomeDay

SomeGuySomeDay What's a Dremel?

Actually, it seems they are trying to use their power to change their situation. They do so by raising awareness of their situation, and the serious problems they have with abuse and violence. They try to improve their situation through action and speaking out. Shouldn't we respect and commend that?

And I quite agree with what Cthippo said: The opinions that other posters have concening prostitutes are quite horrendous, and they probably replicate and sustain the pattern of abuse against prostitutes. Because hate speech will eventually lead to violence, s they discovered in the american south. What is the difference between slamming prostitutes and slamming black guys?
    Just to show yo'all how terrible the things people have written here is, try a small experiment and reread the first posts. Just replace the word 'prostitute' with the word 'n*gger'. Scary reading, isn't it?

10. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

i'm sorry, but all i really wish that all prostitutes would try and aim for that Darwin award, it's not that i think i'm superior or anything, just that they do no good for humanity as a whole. The cheek to blame a video game, don't get me started

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm not trying to say they don't deserve respect for trying to improve their situation, far from it infact. I disagree with prostitution as a whole, because the idea of it just seems morally wrong to me.

However, if the easiest way for them to get attention and bring their cause to the public eye is to say "Arg, violence in our line of work is because of video games depicting prostitutes badly" (Paraphrasing at best there) is just the wrong way to go around it. I don't really understand how you present a prostitute in a positive manner, unless they're all like Inara Serra (And the presentation of her line of work is hardly consistently positive).

Yes, they should by all means try to change their situation. I disagree with their methods, in this instance. It feels to me as if they're doing a lawyer (Who shall remain nameless, incase he sues someone), and blaming things on video games, because gaming is really an ever growing.. I can't think of the right word for that at the moment.

I've never seen a news story where someone's been arrested for beating up a prostitute and cited GTA, or any other game (Not even Leisure Suit Larry) as a reason, nor anyone trying to blame games for it. That said, I'm not sure that's going to make it onto the BBC any time soon if it does happen.

As an aside: Yes, switching those words is quite.. Unsettling at best, but in fairness, it's never been hugely easy to blame racism on games, since it started long before anyone really had the idea for games that extended beyond card games ;)

12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

They do as much good for humanity as anyone else in a luxury service sector. Which is a fair bit.

While I do think that the people making this case against GTA are retards. I gotta say a lot of the people's responses in this thread lead me to believe they're little better. Just because people work in the sex industry doesn't mean they do an irrelevent job. Nor does it make them sub-human.

Tags: Add Tags