1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress H207 - Pictures of powdercoating and anodising!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by marcus000, 23 Dec 2007.

1. marcus000

marcus000 Watercooling Mad

This is a TJ07 that I was given to mod and watercool for someone, I have powdercoated the insides white and the externals have been anodised purple.

Pics for your viewing pleasure:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some other pics I took inside

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That looks like a fantastic job, truly. However I really don't like the look of the TJ07 and purple and white have just made that even more intense :blush:

On the other hand - I like it for its boldness and unique perspective.

3. Major

Major Guest

Looks quite 80's imo. ;)

Good stuff.

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

A bit too high contrast between the two colors for my liking, but the purple does look awesome.

This ain't a project log even how good it looks :(

5. emir_

emir_ What's a Dremel?

nice color ;)
    but how did you paint the whole case with keeping the silverstone writing and and the logo at the top of the case?

[​IMG]

6. marcus000

Aye I know, but there isn't a gallery section anywhere (or not that I could find anyway) :)

Externals have been anodised.. not painted. The dye can't penetrate the text so it remains the same, as another example look at these Zalman fan controllers I did:

[​IMG]

7. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

Any more details on "the dye" the results are stunning.

Love that purple!

8. Jeet

Jeet What's a Dremel?

Here is a real basic definition (correct me if I'm wrong on anything).

The purple is anodized, which is a way of finishing metal (most commonly aluminum). The piece is dipped and suspended in water which is being electrically charged. In the water is sulfuric acid and a dye (many people just use regular clothing dye). The dye is for a lack of a better word "soaked" into the aluminum. This forms a new surface on the aluminum which is now harder and colored.

The white is powder coated. Which is a form of "dry" painting. Most likely the paint particles (a powder) are electrically charged and then shot from a spray sort of gun and are bound to the surface. The piece is then put in to an oven to cure as the paint melts and forms a film on the surface. This is a different kind of finish more akin to painting.

9. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

To add to what Jeet said about anodizing. The sulfuric acid is used to strip the layer of aluminum oxide that naturally forms on the surface of aluminum exposed to oxygen, next the electrical charge serves to "open" the "pores" of the aluminum metal to allow the dye that's in the solution to penetrate the metal.

10. D3X3R

D3X3R What's a Dremel?

11. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Though I'm not a fan of purple and white, I must say you did a nice job, looks very nice.
    Though I'm curious as to what your plans are as far as all the fans in the bottom go. Are they all intake?

12. marcus000

The 3 red fans in the bottom are attached to a 360mm radiator which is hooked up to the rest of the watercooling in the case.
    The 4th fan is to cool the HD's.

PS: Cheers for clearing up the anodising questions guys ;)

13. Jeet

Jeet What's a Dremel?

No problem, and knowing is half the battle... (sorry random pop culture reference). ^_^

Tags: