1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News IFPI says ISPs should police users

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Dec 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Note to IFPI: P2P isn't illegal, and lots of quality software gets spread by P2P (look at Linux distros)...

Blocking all P2P would ruin an enormous community.

3. naokaji

naokaji whatever

the IFPI can go burn in hell... we dont want them and we dont need them....

besides...

all that copying that does happen is not all so evil as they try to make it sound...

take ms office for example, it costs a lot, some people copy it because of that, does ms loose money? not a lot, why? because the same people would just openoffice if they coudnt copy ms office anymore.
    they always forget to subtract the number of people that would use readily avalaible freeware if they coudnt so easily copy the paid stuff.

on top of that, there is another issue, the one that they are just abusing the filesharers as an excuse to restrict and limit everyones rights.
    i mean seriously, we've seen in burma what happens if the isp's are forced to police what everyone does on the internet...

actually.. maybe it would be best to put all IFPI employes in a plane and throw them out over burma... because they seem to admire the *cough* government*cough* there.

4. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Thats their answer is it?? Ban all P2P which legit companies use to distribute files? Why stop there, why not ban the internet.

The RIAA an american organisation aint it??? I like how they want this to happen in europe because they would not get this to happen at all in america.

why not get the telephone companies to monitor our phone calls too incase I play a mp3 over the phone and my friend recordeds it at the other end with a microphone.

5. xion

xion Minimodder

BB: "This is Big Brother; Would Xion please come to the diary room."

Xion: "Hello BB, is it time for me to take my emotional suppression pills now?"

BB: "Xion, at 02:13am you were observed to be humming a tune that seemed to resemble a copyright protected artwork, while there was no one else around, your voice was being transmitted on teamspeak while playing Counterstrike. From this we can state that you willfully allowed the aforementiond work to be freely distributed across the internet with the intent of others listening. After careful consideration we can conclude that your activities constitute piracy. BB takes law breaking very seriously, and requires vast sums of mony to run the servers that listen for copyright protected artwork, you will therefore be found liable, or made to walk the plank"

[/dumb_mode]

6. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

That's a bit like saying road builders should take responsibilty for the driving styles of road users.
    The end user should be held responsible, not the facilitator .

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

genius :D

8. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Another would be Hamachi p2p vpn software, with a huge comunity of gamers, yet another legit use of p2p!!

LOL @ xion... classic ;)

9. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

xion... that was funny. Scary but funny. :D

The lack of grip on reality that the IFPI (RIAA etc) show is truly astounding. But then again, I very much doubt they care about the collateral damage they will cause if it gets them just the tiniest fraction of what they want. They'd happily kill off linux (if they could) or anything else out there that wasn't DRM'd up to the proverbial eyeballs.

10. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i dont get the Xion joke :/

but yeah, i say ISP should respect the privacy of its customer. stay away from our data! keep ur nose out or we'll gladly drill a 3rd hole in it...

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

they do this = i reduce my internet subscription making it cheaper and slower because i wont be downloading anything soon, block every add on every site on the internet (except BT), never buy any type of media from these companies and tell people that these guys make crap media...... buy all my stuff directly from artists (show my middle finger to those that are under the IFPI rule) and idie games makers, hear my music from the radio and from tv or not even hear music until the IFPI are dead.

now i want to see IFPI survive this if everyone does this...... really, they do this and they are dead in very few time..... these idiots could be profiting millions of dollars if they evolved....

i wish someone would email them this: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/72

12. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

They can go suck my chocolate salty balls

13. scrumble

scrumble What's a Dremel?

"Blocking all P2P would ruin an enormous community."

Not to mention an infringement of my human rights, as would be monitoring what I do on the internet.

14. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I don't agree with this... The internet is a public place... Rules apply to public places...

15. warlord2000ad

warlord2000ad The 20 Year Old Guy

End users should be responsible, the fact its practically impossible to tell who used the PC is obviously the problem. These are like sledgehammer approaches. Currently int he UK at least the Bill payer for the Internet is responsible, even if they never use it. At the rate its going they will start building spyware to monitor us.

16. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

I am not worried. Some of these ISP are big companies who will be sponsoring certain Mps and Emps(or whatever there called). Just implement this would cost them millions there noway the isp would not allow this to go though as it will cost them money and lose them customers. Coupled with the face that many companies use P2P to distro there software it would crush them as well so they wont want it to go though either.

17. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Hopefully those kids who do shootouts at school will realize that the best place to do them now is at places like the RIAA,MPAA,or IFPI

18. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

whats so special about p2p anyway. p2p this, p2p that. p2p is so 2005.

19. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

maybe we should ban cars at the same time. that would prevent people from breaking the speed limit.

20. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

Tags: Add Tags