1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development I Want To Learn How To Program?

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheEclipse, 21 Dec 2007.

1. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

How often do you use malloc and free in c++? You're probably doing it wrong.

Other than that I agree with your post but prefer netbeans now for java dev to eclipse.

2. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

wait... i think i've seen this thread before :geek:

You know that actually looks like a fun language to take a dive in! thanks for suggesting...

Hey TheEclipse, take a look at these two Programming Languages Maps. It is helpful to get an overview of things before diving into one. zipped without password.

http://rapidshare.com/files/79471574/Computer_Language_History.zip.html

WORLD!

Fantastic! You're going for a wicked cool ride into the rabbit hole. Watch a movie called "Office Space (1999)" and it can be a bit like that sometimes :)

Yeah, sure i don't see why not. think of BASIC as the peanut dish before an entree that comes before soup and the 10 course meal with tempting desserts sprinkled in between.

programming is a journey, which you can move forward and dive deeper into a single language, or move sideways and learn about other languages. Each one is like a specialized tool in a large toolbox. use each one most appropriately will save you time. often you need to know more than one language to create functional apps, especial working with Data.

• a lot of the "discussions" about language(s) superiority is similar to whether to use a plier or a wrench to twist a tiny nut out of a bolt. one way to look at it is that it's a bit screwy. peace! :rock:

If you're seriously considering a career, IMHO you need to learn C++ sometime soon. It won't be easy 'cause there concepts that are aliens infested.

the reason i'm not too keen on starting with C is because i think it's slower in creating a recognizable, functional desktop app you see everyday.

C is 3rd gen lang. each progressive gen tends to allow coder to write something faster :hip: BUT as a coder, the higher gen lang it is, we tend to loose the ease of tapping deep into the powerful stuff that is fun to play with, often in the OS kernel and stuff.

ADDED: "Faster" and reference to speed is about how swift a coder can write a bunch of functions. not referring to app runtime. Thanks capnPedro

Even tho C++ is a 3rd gen lang, it has sweet pluses attached that allows you to do things faster and easier. think of the "++" as dessert objects. :brrr:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-generation_programming_language
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth-generation_programming_language

worry not... intrepid coder :thumb: go forward and google.

Books preference is very personal, so go to library and flip through a couple before buying one. see what works for you.

I digg IVOR HORTON's Beginning C++ (The Complete Language) by WROX. :)

one thing for sure C++ books can be relevant a long time, so nice to have one around.

Last edited: 27 Dec 2007
  3. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

> let selfPostersTable = table << [ tr << [ format_row (length [(x, 1) | Just x <- map (\ x -> (selfPost (eqPair x)x) ) ( zip map (\ x -> (lookup x from)) [ x | (x,y) <- [(a, b) | (a, Just b) <- [ (i, last $ [Nothing] ++ map(ref_to_index tables) (words r) ) | (i, r) <- rs]]] map (\ x -> (lookup x from)) [ x | (x,y) <- [(a, b) | (a, Just b) <- [ (i, last $ [Nothing] ++ map(ref_to_index tables) (words r) ) | (i, r) <- rs]]] map (\ y -> (lookup y from)) [ y | (x,y) <- [(a, b) | (a, Just b) <- [ (i, last $ [Nothing] ++ map(ref_to_index tables) (words r) ) | (i, r) <- rs]]])]) u f] | (u,f) <- sortBy compare $ fmToList $addListToFM_C (\old new -> old + new) emptyFM [(x, 1) | Just x <- map (\ x -> (selfPost (eqPair x)x) ) ( zip map (\ x -> (lookup x from)) [ x | (x,y) <- [(a, b) | (a, Just b) <- [ (i, last $ [Nothing] ++ map(ref_to_index tables) (words r) ) | (i, r) <- rs]]] map (\ x -> (lookup x from)) [ x | (x,y) <- [(a, b) | (a, Just b) <- [ (i, last $ [Nothing] ++ map(ref_to_index tables) (words r) ) | (i, r) <- rs]]] map (\ y -> (lookup y from)) [ y | (x,y) <- [(a, b) | (a, Just b) <- [ (i, last $ [Nothing] ++ map(ref_to_index tables) (words r) ) | (i, r) <- rs]]])] ]

Haskell is not fun.

4. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

hehehe, thanks for the heads up. i'll try it next week. World in Conflict now.

5. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

It is if you learn how to format your code properly.

6. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

A 3rd gen language is nothing to cry about. I take it you code exclusively in assembly binary/machine code then? Yeah, though not.

Although I think that must be the first time I've heard someone complain about C's speed. Sure you'll want to optimize your commonly used algorithms (ray tracing and such) in assembly, but you really can't knock C/C++ for speed.

7. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

Sorry for not clarifying further, completely my fault.. :sigh:

i meant "Speed" in terms of how fast a coder can develop an app, not app runtime.

Oh like all gamers, i use C++ for speed. Assembly is indeed darn fast, but not practical for large apps.

8. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Yeah, you are right. The languages are mostly the same, but there are differences.

I've actually never worked with netbeans. I may have to give it a try, if I need to do more Java work.

Oh - for fast development, you can't beat Python. It's very easy to work in, even compared to C++.

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Not exactly, there's some advanced C functions (registerrpc() for example) which will not, under ANY circumstances work in C++. Trust me, I've tried it significantly. C++ is far more advanced then just classes, it has proper OOP rather then just tacked on stuff and a far more advanced grammar then C.

Try TK, five lines for a window with working buttons? TYVM! Oh and it's cross platform? EVEN BETTER!

10. TheEclipse

TheEclipse What's a Dremel?

Thank you ryanjleng, Will take into account what you said.

Does everyone else agree that i should learn BASIC for a little while then move onto another language for example C++

11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I'd say start on a language which teaches you programming concepts and paradigms. Mozart-Oz is good because it can be used as a scripting language, a functional language or a mixture depending on you. But it's not the best one to learn off.

Use C++ first because it's cross platform so you can maybe understand the differences between operating systems and how the language has to adapt to each.