1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress project:K.I.D (disaster 28/12/07)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by khanage0, 2 Sep 2007.

1. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

I really like the finish of your painting and the order you've created around the motherboard.

Very good.

2. khanage0

khanage0 Minimodder

Supergnome;thanks man,it was challeging changing boards but got there in the end:D im in the process of the clocking at the mo slowly but surely......3.825 prime stable at the mo:thumb:
    crazyg1zm0;thanks dude:thumb:but ur not having it.....lol
    papeniglio;thanks man:D

will post some new pics soon,just wanna concentrate on the clocking at the mo an COD4's out in a few days so gonna be taking a little break to play that,only a couple of days tho then back to the modding.think the break will do me good with the luck ive had recently killing me mobo an the new phase screen dieing an got a parking ticket the weekend,they say it comes in 3's....lol i just hope thats it now

3. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

New mobo matches better :thumb: It's gonna look crazy when it's all lit up :D Are you gonna cover the gap and the two horizontal bits of the chassis, between the mobo & psu. Maybe some more slotted & tinted alloy? Or maybe a piece of tinted plexi?

4. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

........I'm eagerly waiting for some pics with some UV leds in action ..............:thumb:

about your bad luck streak ....... it will end .................

Alan

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Have fun with COD4, and some nice new feet should be on thier way soonish...

6. khanage0

khanage0 Minimodder

sorry for the lack of updates guys,been spending way too much time on COD4 MP,its awsome
    any way im planning a few things for the case again,ive now decided not to have the fans in the back of the case but im gonna be mounting the hard drive there with some sort of alluminium surround,not quite sure how ta do it yet but i got some ideas im gonna play about with.
    im also gonna be making a screen type thingy to go between the 2 bars in the case that the psu is sat on,again no definate plan yet but im gonna be playing about with some more ideas.
    still got to suss out a way of mounting the UV led's so they are not too visible,any ideas?

7. khanage0

khanage0 Minimodder

cant believe its well over a month an i havent managed to do any more modding:(just been real busy recently trying to tie up all the small jobs i gotta do before christmas arives so i havent got to do them over the christmas period but im glad to say there all done now so i can start modding again as soon as i get paid:D

after a bit of advise now,im gonna be mounting the raptorX HD to the back or the case where the 80mm fan would have once lived with an alluminium cover to tie it in with the rest of the case an the question is,do you think it will stay at a resonable temperature without any additional fans?the back of the case always feels cool so im thinking it should be ok just want another opinion.

ps.running at just under 4gig stable:D -18 under 100%load -38 idle

8. khanage0

khanage0 Minimodder

disaster strikes:(
    after trying to turn the pc on this morningim getting a sensor error "sensor vFA" i havent got a clue what it is an cant find it anywhere ive looked on the net,ive posted on some forums hoping its nothing major but if it turns out it is im thinking bout stopping the project an starting a new one but just keeping to water,i really wanna see this finished so if anyone knows what the problem is please help,
    at the mo the phase is all disconnected an im back to the stock hsf an cpu speed just so i can use it.:waah:

9. theAlien

I haven't used my vapochill for a few years and have it stored in my basement,
    but if memory serves me correctly it could the temperature probe.
    If there is nothing shown on the LCD screen then it could be the ChillControl Board.
    I had to change both parts in the past.

Maybe post the problem in the VapoChill Support Forum in the General troubleshooting section

Alan

Last edited: 28 Dec 2007
  10. khanage0

khanage0 Minimodder

looks like mobo no 2 is dead as well,was working fine till i turned the pc off now it just wont boot at all.
    at the mo with how im feeling im ready to just throw in the towel with it all an go back to a normal pc for the time being once i get the mobo sorted(im on the kids pc at the mo an im missing mine like crazy)
    i really dont know what to do

11. widmod

widmod Minimodder

some "phase changers" insulate the area around the CPU to protect the motherboard components...

12. khanage0

khanage0 Minimodder

it was all insulated an was working fine till the phase wouldnt turn on thats when i put the hsf back on an disabled the phase an it all worked till it was turned off an now it wont post .
    the little display on the back of the mobo just sticks on "cpu innit" the same as the 1st one that died

13. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

How's it all going? Don't think about packing it in, find out what's wrong with the phase/mobo/cpu setup.
    It does sound like everything was working beautifully for a while there, and i bet you could top 4ghz.
    As for the raptor, you could just hook up some passive heatsinks, but that might end up too bulky. I suggest making a simple waterblock so you can watercool the raptor. The waterblock doesn't need to have high restriction, it can be relatively free flowing, but i'd suggest making a long flat one, approx the same height & length as the side of the raptor. This way once bolted on, it cools an entire side of the hdd's alloy frame, which would do an excellent job at absorbing most if not all of the entire hdd's frame heat i think. I was bored so i did a quick sketch of what i've got in my head:
    [​IMG]

14. khanage0

khanage0 Minimodder

deffo not gonna be stopping:D
    maybe just taking another route to get what i want....lol
    been looking online alot an it seems the striker extreme is a nighmare mobo so ive been looking at the lanparty UT P35-T2R,anyone know what there like?
    i really like the look of the nb an sb cooling so id be keeping them cooled that way instead of water,that leaves me with 2 triple rads for just one gpu that is way overkill,so i was thinking after seeing sacha's water cooled phase would it be possible to use the 2nd rad to water cool my phase?ive already contacted some one about carrying out the work an am waiting for a reply,obviously it will be re-gased an tuned as well to get better temps so im just hopping this cloud has a silver lining....lol
    obviously if i went with this idea the case would need re-painting a nice green an id need to sort out a 2nd pump an stuff for the 2nd loop.
    but that all depends on the mobo an if its possible.

15. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

hey matey, im watching you in OC3D, (teknokid)...
    Just wondering what the latest was?

16. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Sorry to hear about your problems (we've had major problems with Asus Republic of Gamers motherboards at work as well). And hopefully you'll be able to RMA the damn thing.

For DFI mobo, it should be pretty good, but for some reason it's been kind of "left behind". What I mean is that there was a bit of hype when it came out, but after that it's been quite quiet, no good nor bad comments about it. Another viable option for you might be Asus Maximus, which actually has performed quite well and hasn't been as problematic as the previous models. Then there's also the Abit IP-35 Pro, but it's blue...nuff said :hehe:

Anyways, the mod is looking great, so hopefully you'll get the issues sorted out and back on track asap.

Darkened

17. Teyber

Teyber ******

do you mind posting pics of insulation? did you check the insulation around hold-down/evap for "sweat"? when you turn on the computer, under load, feel the neoprene around the holdown/evap. Is it cold to touch? Did you use dialectic grease? something tells me your not getting an air-tight seal between the motherboard and the evap insulation. This lets air(which has humidity of course) get into that nice frosty evap and condensate. What layers of insulation are you using? i bet its varnish (nail polish, et cetera), neoprene, and a little dialectic? for mobo #3 i would try to use something called "cork tape" over the "varnish" layer and apply the neoprene over that.
    http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/6078/dothanbrokensocket7fk.jpg
    Also apply that to the rear... Cool thing about that is you can take it off and RMA:thumb:

p.s. did you get that temp display working? if not... I think your better off investing in a thermocoupling thermometer, k-type, and using that. They are pricey and will not look as smexy as this one, but is more practical IMO then spending this much $$ on broken ones... I have the uei dt200 which runs around 130$, the fluke 2 is best and is aroune 220$ in the US or so. I understand its a big investment, if your lookign for a new temp display uner-the-ice sells tehm again
    http://www.under-the-ice.com/product_info.php?cPath=48&products_id=129

pm me with any questions or of course respond here.

Regards and sorry about your horrible luck...

18. khanage0

khanage0 Minimodder

Darkened;its going back on wednsday an ive hopefully got a buyer for the replacement there sending so im gonna be on the look out for a new board then.
    ive read some reports about the dfi as well an found the same as you've stated no real good reveiws but no bad either,its the look that attracted me to it,so i'll just keep looking.

Teyber;i used the mounting that came with the mach its got a back plate that holds a heating ellement that i used seal string on an that screws through the board to the front plate that also had seal string on then the evap head that was sealed with seal string,i followed the instructions strictly.
    the temp display works fine an ive found a forum with other people with the error messege i got an it seems it is the temp sensor thats gone,im in the process of tring to find someone localish who can sort it out for me,i dont really wanna post it caus its just too big an heavy now its all built onto the case

19. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

if you want a mobo after your striker then look no further than the maximus, i just got myn after selling my striker and i truely couldnt be happier!!!

20. theAlien

I just realised that you're running a Prommy and not a VapoChill :duh: [kicks himself in the rear end]

Sorry to hear that you lost another board..........

Alan

Tags: