1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Display help, Urgent!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Spacecowboy92, 30 Dec 2007.

1. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

My computer keeps on reverting to the onboard graphics. In Device manager it shows my graphics card as 'failed to start' (code 10). I have the drivers installed and it was working about an hour ago. I reinstalled windows (which all works, apart from now on start up I have to choose operating systems, XP set up or XP Home, any one know how to get rid of the XP set up option) and now it wont use the card. :waah:

2. OleJ

OleJ Me!

First: When you get the XP setup option at boot it means that your reinstall of windows never finished. Otherwise you'd have two choices saying Windows XP Home. So either choose that on next boot or just skip to "third" ;)

Secondly: Try disabling your onboard graphics in the BIOS and uninstalling the drivers.

Third: You can edit the boot.ini in the root of your c: two ways. Either the safest way: Right-click "My Computer" -> Select Properties -> Select "Advanced" Tab -> Under "Startup and Recovery" click the "Settings" button -> Now set your "Default operating system" and remove the check mark in front of "Time to display list of operating systems".
    If Windows XP Home won't let you edit boot settings through My Computer properties go to Start -> Run -> and type "boot.ini" and if you have to select a program select notepad. Once in notepad change "timeout=30" to "timeout=0" and save and close and reboot to see if it solved it.

3. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Seconded ;)

4. Spacecowboy92

The first one was fine and worked. (thanks for that)
    The second dident, I disabled the on board grraphics and it all went dark. (I had to revert to the last settings in safe mode)
    Any other suggestions?

5. Delphium

In the bios, disable the onboard gfx card, and set the intial display port as being pci-e / agp / pci, which ever is the card your trying to use.

Which card are you using btw ?

6. Spacecowboy92

The card Im trying to use is an ATI Saphire X1600 Pro on an AGP. The monitor has always been plugged in throught it. (there is no actual port on the MoBo) It's just that my sytstem dosent seem to be using the card. I couldent find anything in the Bios about graphics though.

7. Delphium

Ah, so its not trying to use the onboard gfx at all then as there is none.

I would advise downloading driver cleaner pro.
    Run this in 'windows safe-mode', clean all the ati drivers, and try reinstalling with latest drivers.

Also with the new install of xp, have you applied all the service packs / updates ?

Last edited: 30 Dec 2007
  8. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Seconded ;)

Which I think I already wrote? "Try disabling your onboard graphics in the BIOS and uninstalling the drivers." Of course I wasn't specific that it was all graphics drivers. Anyways as Delphium suggests it's always a good rule of thumb to rid windows of graphics drivers when there is a problem and then installing the latest.

9. Spacecowboy92

I've tried uninstalling the drivers and installing them again, not working. Sometimes when I try installing it from the CD it asks for atioglx2.dll, sometimes ATIDEMGX.dll which isnt on the CD. I tried another card in it whish had the same problem, it says that the 'hardware is installed and ready to use' but it isnt. (it takes about 30 seconds to scroll to the bottom of this page) Maybe its something wrong with the windows instalation, I might try to repair windows tomorrow.

Basicly the CPU is driving the graphics right now instead of the Graphics card.

Last edited: 1 Jan 2008
Tags: