1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a system for someone else

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DaveVader, 31 Dec 2007.

1. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

I'm sure you are sick and tired of these threads but this is more difficult for me as it isn't "the best money can buy" it is more of a simple system. I am sort of challenging myself to see how cheap I can get it. The PC is going to be used for everyday use, ITunes, Internet etc. I think the most stressful thing will be Photoshop.
    Because my PC is AMD and ATI based I thought about going down the Intel and NVidia side of things

So for the processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
    Motherboard I am having difficulty with, I want it cheap but not so much it will make the system ... crap. It doesn't need to have many PCI slots or anything but needs to be compatible with that processor and...
    This RAM 2GB (2x1GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2
    For the graphics card I thought it has to be able to handle some 2D rendering but no stressful gaming so I thought of the 512MB XFX 8600GT
    The only other thing I want your input on is the HDD, I went with W.Digital as I have one myself and feel it works well.

I will install XP onto it but his dad may be able to get it for free. I have a PSU I can give him that will deliver plenty of power and I will install a DVD drive.

thanks in advance. Dave

2. C:\Joshy

C:\Joshy How much cake can you eat in a min?

:thumb:For what you say you use it for it sounds good. I personaly havn't used SCAN befor but CCL. Looking at the list youve made the lowest prices vary beetween SCAN and CCl.
    Hope this helps lol any questions let me know
    =]

3. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

still looking for ideas...