1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Columns A DRMerry New Year

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 31 Dec 2007.

1. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

My new years resolution, to not buy a single song from a retail location for 2008.

Ebay and pawn shops here I come...

2. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

it failed from "natural" causes? and it was substituted before she knew she was being targeted?

3. Computer Gremlin

Computer Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Hopefully the RIAA will be disbanded under the US Federal RICO stature in a couple years. The price-fixing of CDs, harassment, paying off radio stations, monopolization of both the production and selling of music, threating children and skirting the law will lead to their downfall. It will be very rapid collapse with Senate hearings and massive fines levied against the Big Five.

4. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

Add another point for the RIAA!!!!!!

My Ipod... I found out today I cant pull even my own mp3's off it and not have the name garbled, so I looked up an article that had software that would to it.... well that was dated 2004 and the software borked all the music that was on the ipod, but the latest tunes I stuck on it from my new PC..

I now have a briked Ipod and will never use another apple product again.

apparently when people did the, how tough is an ipod nano gen2, they didnt a lateral crush test on the touch pad... either that, with the adrenaline I became superman...

SOOOOO.....

A BIG THANK YOU TO THE RIAA for 'asking' Apple to change the way the ipod worked since itunes 4.7 while every other FK*KNDI player out can do a music transfer to pc with ease.

remember people when you buy apple... thats what you get!

5. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

6. CanadianViking

CanadianViking Beast from the North

That may be their intention, but the approach they're taking is obviously not working and is extremely unprofessional and sometimes downright wrong. They distort facts, they sue paying customers for putting music from THEIR cd's onto their PC, etc. It's just downright insane! If the RIAA knew what they were doing with DRM and used it properly, and proceeded to stop sueing the pants off of everyone, then I would buy music. Until that day comes along, I will continue to use other sources then retail outlets, and the RIAA can know that its THEM hurting their artist's financial wealth.

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

8. quack

quack Minimodder

Well, that was part of her defence put forward in court. I'd prefer to give Jammie the benefit of the doubt over the RIAA's lawyer who wants us to believe that ripping a CD you own is a nice way of saying "steals one copy". ;)

9. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

you know, if those two last cases end up being dismissed or the RIAA loses, the final score ends up being tied :)

(though if those two last cases are won for us the people, then we have a HUGE advantage for future litigation )

10. Reputator

Reputator What's a Dremel?

But what if we lose them? I'm amazed at all the times it seems obvious the RIAA doesn't have a case, or the claims are ridiculous, and the case not only moves forward but the RIAA wins them. It doesn't make sense to me, especially since some of them are decided by juries, not judges.

11. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

What's been completely passed on in that article is peoples awareness and attitudes towards copying and sharing. This will be the deciding factor on the article's point system the market's attitude towards this will count for at least 1,000,000 points

The RIAA are too wrapped up in the "power" of their big bank accounts and high priced lawyers to realise that the market has ALL the power.

Blaming all losses on piracy while continually producing repetitive rubbish will only work for so long.

12. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Well technically, sing the happy birthday song is copyright, just wait for the RIAA president to sing it and sue his ass to kingdom come.

13. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Personally, i feel the RIAA crusade against internet radio stations is by far the single most blatant example of shameless raw greed ever displayed on this planet in all history...

How they can ever justify charging fees orders of magnitude higher than net stations NET income* whilst analog radio pays nearly nothing and digital radio pays a fraction is just absurd

*note, not gross income, *NET* income before costs: instantly bankrupting every single net station in existence if they go ahead and collect these fees. Even giants such as AOL and Yahoo are saying they will have to shut shop if this goes ahead...

www.savenetradio.org
    The RIAA is simply one of the purest forms of evil to be found in the world today... I will never knowingly buy anything from them if i can help it :grr:

Last edited: 1 Jan 2008
  14. Sark.inc

Sark.inc What's a Dremel?

i say we start a fund, instead of paying for music to donate money to the fund, then once it's big enough we sue RIAA for rights violations! :D

the last CD i bought was in 2004, never again will i buy another CD.

15. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

As far as the Ripping cds (to mp3) being illegal is concerned the riaa and all other federal bodies had there chance to make that illegal back when the first players hit the market "BUNDLED" with software that did just that. By allowing those bundled products to hit the open and legal market, in my mind, they had assured us of our legal right to do this.

Well they can very well revoke this now, or in the feature, the fact is it is out right now, and should they choose to change that i believe that all americans alive at the dawn of the mp3 age are required to be grandfathered in to the old way, since a revocation or change of that law is effectively removing a persons rights which has was granted to them already.

16. radziecki

radziecki What's a Dremel?

God I'm so happy I live outside of US... I really couldn't believe what I've read. This is one most ridiculous and greedy case I've heard about. I can't rip my own CD's to play them on my iPod? WTF?? I'm a DJ myself, and I buy all of my music from sources like Beatport or Traxsource, from time to time I go out and buy an oldschool vinyl (you can't beat the analog sound...). But as far as I'm concerned all I buy is from smaller labels, that are much more liberal in area of DRM and copyright.

17. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Who's Brett Thomas?

18. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

I hate to be pedantic here [well not really ;)] but I think that you'll find that the 2nd hand sale of CD's, DVD's and even books is technically illegal too and will probably be the next thing the RIAA go after ;)

19. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

http://www.bit-tech.net/about/
    He is also the guy that wrote the original article:D

20. CanadianViking

CanadianViking Beast from the North

:D

I love it. Someone keep close tabs on that president!

Tags: Add Tags