1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A couple of upgrade questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leakyfaucet, 31 Dec 2007.

1. leakyfaucet

leakyfaucet Hey! I own a dremel!

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I'm thinking of upgrading my computer's RAM and I was looking on ebay for two 1G sticks of RAM, since my motherboard has two slots. But I noticed on ebay, there are different types of PC3200 DDR SDRAM. Some say low density and some say high density. What is the difference, and which one is right for me? Some have 184 Pins, and some have 240. Anybody know how to tell which kind I have?

I'll give you some info on my computer, taken from Everest, that computer scanning program.

It's a Dell Dimension 4600i, completely stock for now.

Motherboard: Intel Springdale-G i865G
    RAM: 512 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Thanks a bunch!

PS: Does the CPU and GPU stay cooler with computer case open or closed? I've heard different things about it, but was wondering if there was now a general consensus.

Last edited: 31 Dec 2007
  2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

1. You want 184 pins. Get 2 1gb sticks and it should be fine.

2. It depends, but leave your case closed. It'll keep out the dust and keep it quieter. :)

3. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

it's not exactly about open or close case. instead what is most important is the rate of air-flow over the hot parts.

4. leakyfaucet

Hmm, thanks for the advice guys. So does anyone know the cheapest place online to buy PC3200 DDR RAM? I noticed on ebay they were fairly expensive!

5. mk-donald

mk-donald bits and bobs

The Crucial Memory configurator for Dell Dimension 4600 (no mention of 4600i in their list) says it will accept PC2700 memory as well - ie bit lower spec and potentially lower cost ALTHOUGH as the market for such RAM is restricted (and the technology rather old) nowadays typically getting PC3200 spec memory over PC2700 won't make much difference in price if any (as makers/retailers just hold the highest spec as it can be used at 'below' spec speeds).

However as your motherboard has 4 slots, ie 2 banks of 2, it would be best to match what your existing memory is running at IF it is running at PC3200 speeds (ie 400MHz, versus PC2700 at 333MHz).

You should be able to use the small/freeware "cpu-z" utility to identify what the memory Dell fitted it with originally, including both what speed it IS operating at, and what speeds the 'SPD' of the fitted memory says it supports - eg the RAM in mine says it will run at 266MHz at 4-4-4-12 and at 333MHz at 5-5-5-15 timings.
    eg http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=Dimension 4600&pl=Dell&cat=RAM

Afraid PC3200/PC2700 prices are really obscene by comparison with latest DDR2 - ie as I presume you've found around £30/1GB whereas today's mainstream DDR2 can be down to £12/1GB - which would almost give opportunity for buying a replacement motherboard that could take DDR2 RAM with the money you'd save!

If/when buying do buy two identical memory cards; best to buy ones with a manufacturers lifetime warranty (gives one peace of mind when splashing out up to £60); do be wary of the high-density boards as they are NOT necessarily going to work with all motherboard chipsets and it MAYBE that only trial and error will reveal this - and that's not something you want to do with a purchase - ie be sure of compatibility before parting with £.

You may get lucky and find some retailers clearing out an overstock or promo - eg Scan often do RAM in the WEEKEND 'Today only' deals (from Friday c1pm) and Aria.co.uk so SuperSpecials on a seemingly random basis and every now and then Play.com do some real memory bargains.

Last edited: 3 Jan 2008
  6. leakyfaucet

Thanks, that helps a lot!