1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Cyberlink's new products at CES and 2008

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 5 Jan 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. 3.5SE

3.5SE What's a Dremel?

All a bunch of crap I won't use. If PowerDVD wasn't just about the only way to playback HD DVD and Blu ray movies I'd be using something else. They need to re-enable playback of the hi def formats from hard drive. Seriously, who is downloading 25GB movies???? I just want to take the hi def DVD's that I own and put them on my media server for my personal use.

3. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

VLC plays my dvd's just fine. not sure why i would need some bloatware like this to play them.

and @3.5se: pirated hidef movies are not 25GB. more like 3.5-4.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

VLC doesn't offer access to graphics card hardware, specific HDMI features, expanded audio features, upscaling techniques, plug-ins for remotes etc. If you want the extra stuff - you gotta pay for it.

3.5 - I totally agree, but that's a limitation media companies put on people like Cyberlink.

5. mink

mink What's a Dremel?

@supertoad: VLC doesn't play Blu Ray or HDDVD as was 3.5SE's point, and yes people ARE downloading full HDDVD rips at 25GB but MKV 720p rips are just more popular being only 4-8GB, but that is mainly because most people still don't have full HD TV's yet, so why bother getting a 1080p rip.

Not including an interface for Media Center is a massive downer for me (and I suspect MANY others) and was something I was really hoping for in this new release. I don't understand why Microsoft haven't included HDDVD playback themselves as they're trying to push it.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Microsoft - licensing of other codecs in the MPEG range. But yea, I asked about the Media Centre interface and Cyberlink only sell it through OEM which is its major market.

7. mink

mink What's a Dremel?

Cyberlink will sell a Media Centre interface through OEM? *confused*

If it's purely down to a codec then why can't a codec be bought to make HD playback in MCE work as was the case with DVD playback in MCE 2005

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Licensing costs - they don't want to infringe on their OEM partners and think that there's little demand, I suppose.

Tags: Add Tags