1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC HT-like PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by modster, 7 Jan 2008.

1. modster

modster What's a Dremel?

I am trying use some of my old parts to make a htpc. I am not doing anything fancy like HD. Its more like a video/picture/music jukebox. Whats giving me headache is the graphic card. I was using ati 7500 aiw and then realized win xp media center doesnt support that card. Also, when i play those videos with windows media player, i get some serious fps problem. So a new card is obviously needed. My question is, which card should i get? Please remember I have a very limited budget. So cheaper the better. Thanks.

2. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

9700 all in wonder pops to mind, i think you should be able to pick one up used for relatively cheap. or if you don't need an all in wonder, FX 5200 or something of the likes with a passive heatsink.

3. modster

modster What's a Dremel?

but will i have any problem with the frame rate? My main concern is the noticeable drop of frame rate when watching video on tv.

4. MaZ

MaZ "Aye, me bottle of scrumpy!"

Very much depends, a 9700 AIW should be sufficient to watch normal def (read. non HD res) tv but it's not necessarily the graphics card holding you back. Whats the other bits and pieces like?

5. modster

modster What's a Dremel?

Here is my spec.

P4 Northwood 1.8Ghz
    Biostar motherboard with via chipset (forgot the exact model)
    1GB ram
    200gb + 400gb
    Ati 7500 AIW (PCI)

I think CPU is good enough. At least it plays video fine on a monitor. The motherboard doesn't have AGP/PCI lock so I can't raise the fsb too much unless i do a pin mod. Actually, can someone link me to a pin mod tutorial?

6. modster

modster What's a Dremel?

bump... please?

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

9700AIW should be fine. For similar money I'd expect you could find an X800AIW too - it's a much more powerful card too. :)

Tags: