1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony says it's sorry and its listening

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Jan 2008.

1. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

That "standard" shooter called Resistance: Fall of Man is a 2.2 million sold new IP under the PS3's belt from a company who had been making Platformer's prior to that.

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

so? It was free with a new console, Vista is 5 million sold massively improved IP thats been running the world for the last 15 years... does that also make it great?

A though occurs to me... Your boast about RFOM sound to me like sony wants its own Halo.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2008
  3. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

there were a couple comments up top about the PS3 being turned away in wester countries. it was rejected in japan as well and replaced with the Wii. I mean ever the 360s market share started cutting into the PS3. if sony needs to say sorry to anyone its japan.

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

No, I think it's an excellent investment for a Blu-Ray drive, as well as High-Def gaming and a media streamer. Bit of a hit to the wallet, but at least it's a darn site quieter than the x360 I had a short while ago.

5. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Hmmmzz. Can the ps3 stream/access content from my pc harddrive/shared folders and play divx/xvid/h264/flv1/wmv/mpg1/mpg2/mpg4/video_ts/.iso ?

If so, then it would be a good investment

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'm pretty sure it can manage most of those formats. I know it recently received the ability to play divx and wmv through a firmware update. If it doesn't play the format of your choice, there's always the ability to install an operating system on it that does - simply done via an option on the xmb menu.

7. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

of those i think it can do divx, xvid, h264, wmv (if its vc-1), mpg1, mpg2, mpg4

8. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

But can it stream from my shared folders on the fileserver? I was looking at some options to invest in a network br player see. If i get a gameconsole anex htp3 alongside with it for the same price the better.

9. dognosh

dognosh What's a Dremel?

You decided to trash the PS3 in previous post(regarding Codecs it can't support) and were told it handles most of them, so instead of apologising you move the goalposts ?
    It is ok for you to hate the PS3, so stop sounding like a broken record:D

My PS3 has saved me £££ , because it has been a brilliant Blu-Ray player:hip:
    When decent games come out for it I might buy some, though I prefer PCs:thumb:
    My PS3 looks abosolutely gorgeous compared to the Wii or Xbox360:cooldude:
    As a media server I can't fault it, it has access to 1 TB of data:hip:

Long live Sony's over priced devices and thank god we live in a free society,meaning we do NOT have to buy Sony if we don't want to:thumb:

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

and use smilies as full stops.

11. steveo_mcg

TBH its a valid question, can it stream from samba shares? If it can they yeah it's starting to look like a valid replacement for basic htpc. By basic i mean playback only no time shifting etc. Unless Sony gives linux more access to the guts of the machine its never going to replace a WMC or mythtv box. Personally i'd go with a Athlon xp machine for £60 and a decent gfx card and run geexbox but hey i'm a tech head i like to tinker.

12. dognosh

dognosh What's a Dremel?

"and" at the start of a sentence is not a good idea or correct:nono:
    If you want to use "and" at the start of the sentence then at least have the decency to capitalise it:nono:

English is not my first language but it seems I have a better grasp of it:D

13. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

If you look under my avatar you will also notice that English is also not my native language, and not starting the sentence with a capital letter is mostly because i was attempting to continue your phrase...... and "capitalise" is written with a z, as in "capitalize". :thumb:
    (Note that i am not trying to be a grammar nazi, in my original post i was trying to say that you are free to end your phrases with a smiley as you are free to chose whatever product you want)

14. mike_beef

mike_beef What's a Dremel?

In my experience Sony have been a great company for customer service in the past as I have had to have both a PSX and a PS2 replaced under warranty and I got new ones sent out without question and straight away. This was a while ago however, i guess it must be 5 years or so. I agree with the whole pricing and pushing new technology matter tho. I dont think Blu Ray will catch on, especially since DVD's are getting alot cheaper these days. And the price of PS3 is ridiculous in comparison to other consoles. Thinking back tho weren't the original PSX's something like £350?

15. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Depends on whether you're using American or British spelling. :thumb:

I'm undecided whether Sony will actually listen or not. The chances of them listening in the short-term are high, but arrogance (or over-zealousness) will quickly erode that I imagine.

16. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

i use Windows Media Player to share media files to my PS3. i just enable sharing in media player.

but there are a number of diffrent programs made for streaming to ps3 or other ones not specifically made for it but work too.

ive heard that there may be a DVR addon sometime for PS3 too which would be awesome.

ive never had to do anything with customer service as ive never had problems. i did get a demo disc that caused many people problems (not me) and i got to send it in for a free game. :)

17. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Resistance was not free with every new console. And Operating Systems =/= Console Games. 2.2 million copies of any game sold on a CONSOLE (again not an operating system) is a solid success story. And especially when it is a new IP. So yes, apparently it was good enough to land in over 2 million homes. I made no mention of Halo. I was merely responding comments saying Resisntance wasn't that good of a game when the reviews, and units sold say otherwise.

18. steveo_mcg

Resistance is a mediocre game on a console with little choice, my point of obviously lost on you so we'll try again... If you only have a few games to choose from the number sales for even a mediocre title is going to sell great. Its neither original or innovative in fact if you've played any fps in the last 10 years you've played this. TBH i'd rather play Doom3 (and i really didn't think much of it either.)

19. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

I consider UK English to be the real English..... but that is up to personal taste.....

20. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

You must not like very many FPS these days if every game needs to be innovative for you. As far as originality I disagree. But those are difference of opinions and I'm not here to change that.

Tags: Add Tags