1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software Bothered Girl

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Blackcrown, 7 Jan 2008.

1. Blackcrown

Blackcrown What's a Dremel?

My girlfriend made a really nice manga-style drawing! I didn't even knew she was capable of doing that... :hehe: But anyways, here's the pencil drawing:

[​IMG]

After I saw it I was somewhat amazed and decided to color it for her in PS, which became this:

[​IMG]

Alright, what I want from you guys is some help. I'm unable to get the eyes in the right way, because i'm not such an artist as she is. So I hope that some pro PS'ers will be able to get the eyes the right way? She just isn't looking correctly like on the original drawing, mainly because I had to add some pupills. Also the hair is a little bit wrong... :duh:

Someone able to help me out? :blush:

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

uh. tbh? leave the sketch as it is.
    the colouring killed it.

3. Major

Major Guest

No I think the colouring is a good idea if done correctly, the colours are too strong.

4. SCOTTBALL

SCOTTBALL What's a Dremel?

wow the sketch is really nice, its a really well done piece of manga styled art.. i been practicing for a while but can't come up with anything that full of...... "life" yet (dunno how to describe it really!)

5. Blackcrown

@Fod, maybe you're right, but coloring it doesn't harm the original, so nothing to lose.

@What colours do you suggest? Just making the green shirt less green...etc?

@Scottball, I'll tell her that! :D

6. Major

Major Guest

7. Blackcrown

Okay, let's see, less funky colours:

[​IMG]

Better you think? I have to smudge some of the edges though...

8. OleJ

OleJ Me!

You have made her pupils to small I think. This is what makes the eyes look awkward. I see that there's no distinct definition of them in the sketch except that they are way bigger.
    The new colors are better but you should blur the edges a bit.
    Also set the sketch as the top layer and user layer effects (the one next to opacity that usually says "normal") to blend the sketch with the colors.

You could also re-trace the outer lines with a thin black. And perhaps add some gradients and noise to the colours.

9. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

in post #7, the left side of the girl's face is kinda cut-off. but otherwise, i like the colors and tell ur girl that shes pretty damn good.

about the pupils: i think you got them just right, they really convey the "bothered" and "distraught (i think this is the word)" theme.

10. Blackcrown

@OleJ, I tried making the pupils bigger, but that makes her look like an alien. :( I also tried to use the original sketch as top layer and blend it as multiply, and that worked great!

@zhangmaster12, I will play somewhat with the pupils, because I think they could be better... otherwise I will keep it like this.

So, this is what I've became up with by now:

[​IMG]

I also tried using the luminosity bleding mode, which came out like a colored pencil drawing.

[​IMG]

I like this one to, I have to fix the brightness / contrast settings though. What do you think is better?

11. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

i like the first one on your latest post. the second one is a bit to light, not as "bothered".

12. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I think somewhere in between your last two coloring attempts would be about right.

The original still looks the best by far tho, shame about the fold lines - your girl needs to quit her day job and put her talents to good use :jawdrop:

13. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Love the pencil drawing, not sure about the coloring though.. first is all too bright, dark one from your last post is alot better.

14. cmoreland

cmoreland What's a Dremel?

Dude, the reason it looks off is because you need to ink it, (lineart in PS) THEN color, coloring over pencil doesn't come out right. Head over to www.deviantart.com and check out some of the manga tutorials there, it's manga/anime PS heaven over there.

15. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

The best way to colour that I've found is to only have the line work and colour under it that way it gets rid of the mess.

I like the last one though. :)

16. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Agreed.

But I figured you didn't want to bother that much? If you have the time and patience take the sketch into illustrator cs3 and do a live trace and the fill out the lines with colors. It's a lot faster than redrawing in PS and will probably look a whole lot better too :)

17. Blackcrown

Sorry for not posting for two days, was busy with g/f!

About inking it, that's a rather good idea! Maybe i'll try that when my exams are over. Thanks guys! You've helped me alot!

18. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Could I please have a go at it? Would very much like the excercise in illustrator :) If yes then send me a link to a full res version of the sketch.
    Thx :)

19. Blackcrown

Yeah, sure you can have a try with it! Unfortunately the sketch posted here already is de highest res version i have. It has been scanned at a low res. I will ask her if she could try to scan it in a higer resolution tomorrow! I'll keep you posted!

20. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Cool!
    I'll have a go with the one you posted until then :)

Tags: