1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Student Contents Insurance?

Discussion in 'General' started by K, 12 Jan 2008.

1. K

K 528491

Ugh, so we've got a problem in my area right now with student houses being targeted for burglaries so I need to get my act together and get some decent contents insurance asap. Does anyone have any good recommendations or advice? I just had an online quote from Endsleigh for about 289quid for this final year of uni, which seemed reasonable for what I need covered (about 5k's worth).

Cheers.

2. The cheapskate

The cheapskate One custom title before Matty

Endsleigh all the way, they actually pay out with no hassle. Ive gone with them every year, and you can pay monthly if you cant afford the full whack at once.

3. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

Endsleigh are the only ones worth bothering with for student accommodation But that cost seem a bit high try phoning up? Have you really got £5000 worth of stuff i know i anit. It cost me about £60 including £2500 cover from my room. plus the full out about cover for my laptop. You wouldn't be at Salford uni by any chance?

4. K

K 528491

No, really, I do have about that much stuff. It was quite a conservative calculation. Plus I have a lot of my girlfriend's stuff here like her PC and what-not.

I'm at Birmingham City University.

I will go with Endsleigh for sure then I guess.

5. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

yep endsleigh are good, but that does seem really steep - i lived in a pretty **** area last year and it was only about £150 for about the same value of stuff.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Definitely seems steep, does it have to be student insurance in specific? Surely just any contents insurance would do the job, or is it a matter of only certain companies taking on students?

I used Endsleigh in my first year of uni (2001) and I'm almost certain it was about £70 for £5k. It wasn't a particularly rough area, but it wasn't all that nice either.

Would look up M&S if they do it, I've recently renewed insurance with them and it was very well priced

Last edited: 12 Jan 2008
  7. Starfighter

Starfighter What's a Dremel?

8. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

Hey im with Endsleigh and I have about £3000 worth of cover but without any of the fancy options and it only cost me £35 for this year and i think it was £38 last year. I think its a bargin maybe its the uni im at not exactly crime central in York maybe that help.

9. RTT

RTT #parp

I think I paid about 60-70 quid for 3-4 grands worth of cover two years ago. 289 seems steep, but maybe, as has already been said, it's just the area you're in.

edit: 74 quid is what i paid :)

edit II: 13k posts :eeek:

10. Loz

Loz Blah Blah

I found Endlseigh to be overpriced, plus I learnt the hard way to double check your policy. I asked for bike coverage and didn't notice it was missing until my bike was too...
    That quote is far more than you should be paying.

11. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

I paid £230 for a years cover in the nice part of Bristol (Clifton) however I had quite alot of items named and they were single, high value items that are easy to nick (30" monitor, laptop covered inside and outside halls that sort of thing) overall cover was £5000 I think, it was worth it to me to have the peace of mind as Im on the ground floor and breaking in would be a fairly trivial matter. It also matters how often your building has been burgled in the past.

Moriquendi

12. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

theres usually an endleigh office near a lot of unis, go in and have a haggle.
    i think tho im not sure that you get a discount with them if you have an nusextra card.

i got my car insurance with them recently and they were by far the cheapest, and despite that i managed to haggle the guy down a bit more without much effort.

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

These guys are much better than Endsleigh - I had a friend who used these chaps at uni, her laptop got stolen and they sent another next business day.

When I bought my insurance with them Endsleigh had quoted me about £240 all-in, by the time I had finished with saxon it was down to £120 for exactly the same cover on items. (Although they don't do mugging cover and all that bs.)

Upshot: Don't bother with Endsleigh, they're the de-facto people for insurance, and their prices reflect it, even if you do get a good service.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Can you spend some cash on better/more locks and stuff? Or, if you have that much kit - is it worth risking? Do you need all of it?

Just, an idea - can you afford to lose it even if it's insured?

15. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

£5K of stuff really isn't a huge amount when you actually think about *everything* you own. I would be surprised if there were many people here (that don't still live with the parents) that have much less than £5k worth of stuff.

Add up everything you own in the whole world, I'm sure the answer would surprise you.

16. Starfighter

Starfighter What's a Dremel?

That's reassuring .. I did wonder when taking out insurance with them (Saxon) that because it was about half the price of endsleigh it would be pretty bad cover.

I think their default level of cover is for £10k too.

17. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

endsleigh aswell here...got cover for 5k, and its nowhere near 290bucks...more like 90...is it area dependant then, and soton is just full of sissies??

18. willowthewhite

willowthewhite Minimodder

I hit £2.5k with just my mountain bike, add my bmx= £3.2k then there's over £2k of fishing gear, so that's 3 hobbies and I've cleared £5k :eeek:

19. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I know nothing of student insurance rates, but my house insurance has gone up a stack in the last few years. I'm paying for other people's flood damage. :(

Last year buildings insurance was £118, same firm now want £163 for the renewal, and, after shopping around, that's looking a good deal.

20. willowthewhite

willowthewhite Minimodder

Anyone know of an insurance company that doesn't freak out when you tell them you have expensive bikes because I've just checked with my mum and my bikes aren't covered, due to them wanting to quadruple here quote to include them