1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Gaming in the real world

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 16 Jan 2008.

1. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Reminds me of the Fast Show sketch where the nerdy guy "flies" his girlfriend to the US on Flight Sim...

2. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Total LOL.

3. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Hands up all those who, whilst carrying a rifle, have tripped on a rock and smashed their hands.... *raised hand with badly bruised and swollen index and middle finger* glad I didnt break anything. Great article Fred brought back some good (if painful and embarrasing) memories :)

4. ChiperSoft

ChiperSoft What's a Dremel?

FTA: "I mean, how many times have you caught a cold, malaria or even got diarrhoea in a game?"

Clearly the author has never played Oregon Trail. ;)

A good read, but I have to agree with some posters about the "duh" angle. Anyone who's watched WWII movies knows that guns jam, people go down from one shot, and ammo always runs out.

5. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

still waiting for a game with realistic injury, thought stalker would have it on the hardest dificulty mode but it got cut out.

6. maha_x

maha_x What's a Dremel?

There's number of things that could be cool in a game, like getting shot in the arm and being restricted to your sidearm (possibly on your non-dominant hand..) for the rest of the level. Or even 30secs could make it a nice detail.

There are games that jam, call of juarez comes to mind..

And those indestructible firepositions that keep getting new shooters, no matter how many you drop.. This should definately be fixed..

Gears atleast tried to make reloads a bit more challenging, but I wouldnt mind a bit more complex challenge to it.

To name a few..

7. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

One thing that always struck me was how quickly you can change mags in games. I didn't realise that until I started airsofting, but in general it takes more than 2 seconds to remove your empty, put it in a dump pouch, take the next one out and put it in the gun. Now if you weren't going to keep your old mag that would be fine, but from what I hear from the guys in the forces I know, if you came back to base without any mags then you'd get a severe bollocking.

Overall though I don't see the point in trying to make games "realistic", it helps if it looks good and is at least accurate (M4 reload animation in CSS I'm looking at you :mad: ) but I want to have fun, not be frustrated because I can only complete the game by being lucky.

8. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

OOOOOK.........lets compare a bullet through the head to a video game. Evidently quite a pointless exercise; keep up the dribble

9. knuck

knuck Hate your face

why do I have the feeling that I've read this sentence before ? Is it even possible or is it only a 'Déjà Vu' à la Matrix ?

10. oddball walking

oddball walking ...!

What I do is chuck the one I have taken out and shove it down my smock(jacket) to refill later. so you don't have to mess around with putting it back in the ammo pouch(which is a pain in the arse). Oh and it is faster if the is a round in the chamber so you don't have to release the working parts just swap the mag. that speeds things up a bit.

11. G0RD0N FAN

G0RD0N FAN Jeff Gordon #24

Nice article! Thanks for sharing!

12. Dira

Dira What's a Dremel?

Great work!

Personaly I do not want the games to be to realistic. It would simply be a to frightful. I have no experience from army or wars but I remember playing Soldier of Fortune when I was younger. It was really a horrible feeling from all the blood and body parts. I am not that sensitive, atleaset not more. But it was something about how you could humiliate and abuse the bodies.

To make it abit categoriesed:
    *The Shocking with lots of blood and shocking scenes
    *More pvp focused as (cs,ut and quake)
    *We also have the in between that is somehow abit more realistic (cod, bf)

I have allways liked CS. But I see it more as a sport then a wargame. I have been playing CoD4 the last week and I think it has a good mix between the pvp and "reality feeling" to what fps games are.

For me it's still just a game. And I do not belive the developers "can" implement alot of the things you listed in your article. The gamers would never accept some of the changes. Atleast not in pvp combats. In a single player it wouldn't be to hard to implement a few of your proposed events. Your weapon beeing jammed forcing you to hide while trying to make it work. Slipery stones would be a not to hard thing to implemen either with some sort of minor injury.

But the overall gamers want flow and easy acting. Still how realistic is it to run around with "WASD" and reloading with "R"?

Making games to realistic would show alot but I am not sure if alot of ppl would play them.

The main issue in the games would still be the "life" you have. I still haven't seen a good way to solve this issue. CS life might be handy and atleast you dont go back to beeing fully healthy and running after some 5 sec as in CoD. Still a numbers in % or whatever is abit "booring".

Only time will tell where we end up with those games. Still I do not want to experience the real deal. I'm happy with "just" having some fun with my mates.

13. Goos!e

Goos!e What's a Dremel?

Well.. afte being in the army.. and trying to think about bringing realism to games.. i find it like IMPOSSIBLE.
    Basically it starts with the AIM! Even a blind person can aim with a DOT (Laser), using audio-aid tho... different tones at "altitude?" and "longitude?"
    But when i recall my first day on the firing range... geez i hit everything but the freakin target. Iron sights can be a pain.. Oh.. and then.. G3 .. nice recoil... and using the mickey mouse ear-protection.. where you really can't hear a thing.. well lets say.. you dont want the shaft giving you a clout around the earhole.. seen quite nasty bruises because the shaft wasn't properly hmmm pressed against the shoulder etc. now try bring all this into a game. And while i'm at ear-protection.. i swear i will never fire a gun without in my whole life! but again... in games... you can hear the enemy miles away walking on stone,wood,metal,glass or even grass.. i take it that after 20 rounds.. you will hear nuffin... abart from some ringing that is nowadays implemented into some games like R6 after gorkin into a Flashbang. My point being.. : There is just too much to take into concideration, that it could be really fixed into a game. Depending on how reallistic you want the game to be... there are quite a few out that are really good.. and authentic with some flaws of course..
    and main thing why war is crap: People Die!

but just my opinion.

14. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

nope but i have had a bird hit my little prop plane on landing once, blood and feathers everywhere. then the odd chance every now and then some dumb seagull gets eaten by the jet of a plane im on. Although i have seen a military aircraft catch fire.

Very good article, exceedingly good. I think that the most realistic game i have played is Insurgency Beta for Steam. no crosshair, no health bar, no ammo counter, no map, nothing.

15. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

You would have to be a complete fool not to recognise that FPS gaming is far removed from actual real life combat. Personally I think developers should keep the level of "realism" as it is. Games are suppose to be entertainment. Ironically, if games were made more realistic I imagine there would be enough ammunition for the anti-gaming lobby to start there own large scale war on gamers.
    Read headlines "Hardcore gamer gets Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from gaming". :worried:

16. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Absolutely. Maybe I'm just not like the average gamer, but I would rather leave out all the super realistic details and err on the side of fun. I downloaded the demo for Doom 3 to give it a try (based on the reviews, I wasn't about to go out and buy it). After about 10 minutes I just got frustrated with the whole idea of reloading. I'm battling a horde of alien mutants on another planet. I'm sure I can suspend my belief just a little bit more and go with the idea that I can fire off 200 rounds before I run out of ammo.

Every time I rounded a corner, a bad guy would jump out, I'd fire off 2 rounds, then my guy would take a few seconds to reload his gun while the demon spawn was busy giving my all the generic wounds he could manage.

I still prefer Quake 2 for it's almost-cartoon style of play. Sure, make the environment look as good as you want. Make the chairs bounce around the room when I shoot them. Just don't make me reload!

-monkey

17. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

Thanks for the interesting article. We all know that the games are nothing like reality, but the point of view of a military member was pretty cool to read.

18. roadie

roadie What's a Dremel?

I'd be interested on the authors thoughts on games that are targeted more as simulations, for instance Armed Assault. Obviously, this is still no way near real life but some of the criticisms of games in the article are addressed.

19. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Games that include violence are insensitive in general in my opinion, but mainly to specific people. If you have a relative that was stabbed while being robbed, one of the "kill for points" games will be likely to upset you if it is set in the same environment. As these environments get more realistic they will strike a chord much more clearly with those who have experienced something similar. Even the sides that games portray can be insensitive, how would you feel if your family had been killed in Iraq watching someone play a game where the US forces give the "random arab nation" a damn good thrashing?

Having been in areas of the world devastated by war and having come under fire several times, I can say the feeling of being fired upon can't be matched by anything software created. So in a way my sensitivity to death, injury, risk and danger are a little numbed. This created an interesting situation where serving and ex-serving military personnel; the people who are likely to get more offended by realistic gore-filled simulations, probably are numb enough not to care.

20. Hypno

Hypno What's a Dremel?

Great article. I actual prefer games which make you want to stay alive and not run in spraying. COD2 was awful with health re-gen and COD4 isn't much better i played online until i got the top level 55 and went back to BF2s Project Reality Mod. ( http://www.realitymod.com/ ) If you play on the right server everyone has to be in squad or the server will kick them after 90 secs and 80% of the people who play the mod use VOIP makes the game experience that little bit more.

Red Orchestra Ostfront 41-45 ( http://www.redorchestragame.com/ ) is also a good game most cases its one shot and your dead.

Tags: Add Tags