1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Modding Ideas

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Monkey Sandwich..., 15 Jan 2008.

1. Monkey Sandwich...

Monkey Sandwich... I just ate one...

Okay guys, I know my last mod attempt fell through before it even made it off paper, but this time I actually have money. I have been doing custom computer builds for people I know and teachers, etc. and now I actually have decent experience in REALITY and PHYSICS, as well as a basic understanding of how freakin expensive acrylic panels can be.
    I have just got another job from a good friend of mine who wants me to make him a strong computer. He wants liquid cooling, on both the CPU and the GPU. I am putting it into a cooler master stacker (the new full tower SLI certified one w/ mesh side) and a single 8800 gts. He has no real care as to what I do, but he says he wants it cool, practical, and unique. He is a artist by profession, so I know he expects a good finished product. I am just wondering, what are some simple, yet really cool mods you can do to a new CM stacker, and with it's water cooling to make it stand out from the rest, and possibly help me get my name out locally to people wanting custom builds? I am very new to actual case modding, my previous experience was failed acrylic shaping, and the average wire wrappings and cool paint.
    I am planning on posting a full worklog for this project, and with your help, I can fill it with bold and interesting mods.
    [​IMG]

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Paint the case, maybe change the mesh, maybe a clear window instead of mesh, interior lighting, can't really change power switches on this one, unique paint job, I haven't seen any real mods on this case besides the battlestar gelactica one, find something unique and get some insipration, most cases that are modded are a lot simpler (no windows, flat surfaces, more customization) but this case has a lot of visuals already done, maybe find a theme, then get inspiration on that theme, so say i wanted to do a mod on a game like i dunno, mortal combat, maybe use colours from the logo or the logo, and somehow incorporate it into the build... Make it unique and yours, because as long as your happy with it, it doesn't matter. For the liquid cooling, if the rad is mounted inside, maybe a cool way of routing your tubing, making it stand out, or blend in. It's amazing what your imagination, a pencil and some paper can lead to. May i suggest maybe a simpler case that you can customize more?

3. Monkey Sandwich...

The buyer picked the case, I tried to persuade him to get a Lian Li like my computer, but he said it was too bland, and he wanted this case. He likes the shape and lines apparently. I don't wanna go overboard on my first real case mod, as it wont be my own computer, but I do wanna really put some work into this one. I was thinking of doing the liquid cooling like the Carbon lian li, with it coming out straight and being really neat and clean.
    I am also planning on mounting the rad on the ceiling where the 120mm fan mount currently is, it should fit perfectly, as the case is more than large enough to allow me to stick it up there. I was also thinking... maybe an orange, black and white theme, or a black blue and green theme. Not sure, but the latter will probably not be my choice.

Last edited: 15 Jan 2008
  4. _-..zKiLLA..-_

_-..zKiLLA..-_ What's a Dremel?

u can get some of that bad a** UV paint and paint the inside. maybe a UV themed case :confused: , and of course alot of UV sensitive stuff. (paint, cable sleeving, etc.) then maybe paint the outside a flat black. or a really shiny flaky black. with the sparkles :rock:. duno man. then a bunch of LED fans. then maybe u can mod that fan door thing. with some mesh or somethin, use ur emagination:thumb:

5. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod Minimodder

Black case with a thin orange frame .. maybe 5mm thick around the grills and window if you're putting one in. Also on the angled bits of the grill/mesh whatever you call it.. I might carefully paint them orange.. a dark shade of orange.. like burnt amber. I would actually suggest a window.. but put the grill in front of it like on the right side. Some kind of cover for that usb port thing at the front..
    Edit: I'm just going to post a picture of what I was trying to convey.
    [​IMG]
    White looks pretty good actually
    [​IMG]
    My original thought of a black case.. would look better in real life.. I'm sure of it. This looks a tad too flat for me. It'd have to be a nice glossy black. Sorry.. I kinda suck at editing pics like this.

6. Noswal

Noswal What's a Dremel?

Well, by picking this case, it seems he has my taste: curves with edge. So go with that theme. I would take the case apart and over exaggerate on the edges like making the little cutout in the bottom front and sides higher. Also, try to find a replacement mesh side panel and mod it to the other side (balance = beauty). I don't know the case layout, but add a rad (black) to the front and top of the case where the mesh is. And if you reconsider giving acrylic a try again, replace the top mesh with identically shaped acrylic so that it looks as if the rad was floating at the top.

-Noswal

7. Gumbatron

Gumbatron What's a Dremel?

Because this case is not for you personally, then a lot of what you could do will be up to your client. Since he has picked out this particular case, I wouldn't try anything too drastic that could affect the overall look of the case. The best thing I think you could do would be to talk it over with your client. Just to get a general feel for what he wants (his favorite colors, would he prefer a lit up vibrant case or something more understated) You said he was an artist. What sort of art does he do, maybe you could get some ideas or inspiration from his work.

My own personal view on this case... Keep the aluminium color the way it is, paint the mesh panels with a subtle pattern (maybe waves or smoke, but very subtle) Have the insides VERY clean, and well lit so that you can see them through the mesh (also have an off/dim switch for the lighting). Maybe paint the inside of the chasis to compliment the subtle paint on the mesh. But that's just me, everyone's tastes will be different.

Best of Luck.

8. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod Minimodder

Oh, I didn't realize that was an aluminum.. I just thought it was weird lighting on a white case. If that's the case.. i say keep the case color the way it is.. stripes maybe.. but don't repaint such a beautiful metal.

btw.. what is that little nook on the top? It looks like part of the handle.. but possibly it could be used to house something else like temp gauges, HD monitors, fan controls, an lcd display etc..

9. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

what does this friend like?

If the case is white to start with, you could pick that as a theme. Too many mods are hardcore black these days, i'm sure an all-white stacker with white watercooling will both stand out in the crowd. And it might just appeal to your arty friend aswell.

I'm thinking of a snow-white PC. Paintbrush every part you can safely paint in white. You'll be noticed where-ever the thing goes. Think of a guy wearing a perfect white tuxedo at a cocktailparty. It may not look better per sé, but it's unique, fresh and eye-catching.

10. mr_carl

mr_carl What's a Dremel?

What kind of artist is he?

If he is a grphiks artist maby use some of his style on the case, if he´s a music artist use his logo and so on.

Maby put a custom made reservoir in the front of the case or something like that.

just some thoughts.

11. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Krog's pinstripe idea is good, maybe find some colours he likes then use them. If it were me i would probably go black case, a dark metallic green on the inside, and probably the same metallic green for the pinstripe on the outside. Make everything flow nicely, and maybe not so much mod the case, but make it more unique with a special paint job, maybe a custom fan controller.

12. Monkey Sandwich...

Ok, there are some great ideas coming in. Heres the idea so far...

Im thinking about cutting out the flat areas of the mesh, and putting an acrylic panel in it with the mesh's cut area lined with a black rubber edging.(So no crappy sharp mesh sticking out.) Then, the rad will suspend from the top, and the pump and res will be in the 5.25 drive bays, separated by a mesh or acrylic divider. Then, the tubes will come out of the case thru holes in the top, and run along the top edges of the case and then go back in, and from there, decend into the case where they will complete a single loop. All the tubing on the inside will be wrapped in a black painted coil wrap, and the entire system will be orange tubing. The case is black, but I might add some white pinstriping along the borders of the windows, door panels and front.

BTW: He said he doesn't care what I do with it, as long as when people come to his studio, they see it and wish they had one.

And, he is a sculptor. So that'll clear up his art style. Oh, and BTW, he is 55.

13. Noswal

Noswal What's a Dremel?

Get some acrylic strips and fog it up with sandpaper. Then cut out where you want stripes and put acrylic there. Add some white ccfls and you got some nice looking pinstripes. But your way is less work. BTW, Koolance makes black coil wrap.

-Noswal

14. Monkey Sandwich...

Hey, I think I have it. I am going to paint white pinstriping on the case, paint the mesh white, polish the inside, and leave the exterior black. Imma use orange tubing, and clear coolant. The res/pump,HDD/CD-dvd drive will all be hidden with a peice of plexi, separating the mobo and vga from the drive rack.

15. Gumbatron

Gumbatron What's a Dremel?

That sounds pretty sweet. I want one already :thumb:

16. Monkey Sandwich...

Hey, I think I have it. I am going to paint white pinstriping on the case, paint the mesh white, polish the inside, and leave the exterior black. Imma use orange tubing, and clear coolant. The res/pump,HDD/CD-dvd drive will all be hidden with a peice of plexi, separating the mobo and vga from the drive rack.

17. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

a double post 2 hours and 50 minutes apart! lol

sounds like a great idea and should looks really sweet. when you say polish inside you mean basically make it a mirror? sounds cool!

18. Monkey Sandwich...

Ty, I think it'll look great at night with the cold cathodes on, and the glowing orange tubing and wire wrapping. It'll look amazing if done right, of this I am sure.

19. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

UV orange tubing? ya black spirals around orange will look real cool. :D

20. Monkey Sandwich...

Yeah, thats always a good color combo, especially with the white mesh and pinstriping. The sealed 5" drive rack, I been wondering, should it be sealed with a piece of orange acrylic?