1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think my CPU is a barbeque?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mega me, 19 Jan 2008.

1. mega me

mega me What's a Dremel?

Ok so i need help,
    i've just built my first ever gaming computer. Really happy about it and took solid amounts of work!
    Well anyways, everytime i boot it i go into bios set DVD drive to the 1st boot thing. and just when i'm going to start installing the screen goes black and says CPU OVERHEAT or something.
    I looked in Bios and saw that it was at 80 degres celcious and rising.

I have the stock cooler and waiting for my Thermalright ultra 120 extreme:D

I know that the stock cooler isnt anywhere as good as the thermalright but surely it shouldnt be running that hot

thanks in advance.

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Is the stock cooler mounted correctly onto the CPU? It shouldn't get that hot.

3. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Sure did you apply thermal paste to it?

4. mega me

mega me What's a Dremel?

i didnt apply any thermal paste i saw like some grey lines on the CPU cooler and when i touched once by mistake it was a wierd substance. and i think that one of the pins to keep the cooler to the motherboard is broken, guess that should be reason and i'll just have to wait until i get the thermalright:wallbash:

5. Smegwarrior

Smegwarrior Fighting the war on smeg

Some Arctic Silver 5 should do the trick. ;)

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No no, those grey lines are thermal paste - that'll do. Just make sure all the clips are in position correctly and fully pressed down. If you do get it to boot - go into the BIOS (delete key as it first boots) and check the hardware monitor.

7. geo139

geo139 What's a Dremel?

It could be the motherboards senser thats broken? try using an app such as coretemp to get an accurate reading of the temperature!

Also when its on if you touch the cpu heatsink is it warm at all? if its stone dead cold then the heats not getting through from the CPU to it properly.

8. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Thatd do it. Wait for your new one.

9. allockse

allockse The Cheesecake is a lie...

The 3-pin fan for the CPU is plugged into the board right?

10. geo139

geo139 What's a Dremel?

Ooooh also, if you press down on the heatsink while you turn it on, does that give you more stable temperatures? that would indicate that it is indeed just the pin/HS fastening mechanism.

11. mega me

mega me What's a Dremel?

thanks for help i realised that, the pin that goes into the motherboard that was broken just isnt gonna go into it so i only have one solution to wait for the other cooler
    but i found it quite interesting that the tep when to 90 degres in like 10 seconds is it my board or does the Q6600 SCALR GO really heat up that fast?

12. mega me

mega me What's a Dremel?

yeah just did it and it gave more stable

13. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Can you give us pictures on different angles, for us to see if the CPU heatsink will correctly attached?

14. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

10 seconds is actually pretty long time. IIRC the old AMD CPUs tend to fry in about 4 seconds. Modern CPUs have over temp. protection, so they use longer time.

I don't know how many watts a q6600 puts out, but i would guess it's somewhere around 100W on full load. A CPU don't have much mass, so it gets hot very quickly.

15. mega me

mega me What's a Dremel?

Ok so i just took off one more time and guess what! all the pin were in perfect condition:eyebrow:
    it just seems that when i push down the pins it two of them jsut dont hold it down to the motherboard!
    this is just getting more confusing by the hour for me

16. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

I had a similar problem with mine when i built my computer, the arrows on the pins, those don't need to be turned to lock it down, and opposite pins first, just like putting on a tire. The arrows were the thing that really got me, but with a little patience, and some swearing I got it.

17. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

The pins on the stock Intel coolers are sometimes tricky to use. It's best to mount the heatsink with the motherboard removed from the case, for starters. To install the pins, pull the black center pin as far out as possible, then place the white pin all the way through the holes in the motherboard. Once the white pin is fully in, press the black pin through to lock it. Start by clipping in two diagonally opposite pins, then do the other two. As you install each pin, check carefully that it's inserted correctly, like this: [​IMG]
    Note that sometimes this will require a surprising amount of force. Don't worry about it; it's built to do this.

18. mega me

mega me What's a Dremel?

Thanks to you all. i finally managed to get to to that motherboard.
    but i did take alot of force( my whole body weight) and a whole lotta swearing

thanks again!

19. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

Yeah, INTEL cooler is not exactly an elegant design.

It should be as easy as opening milk.

20. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I think it is... Just twist the top into lock position and press it down.