1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News America's Army player becomes a hero

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Jan 2008.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Yeah, done it more than a few times. None of the survived, but unless the patient is observed to go down (a witnessed arrest) and CPR is started very soo it's pretty pointless. A person's odds of survival drop about 10% for every minute of down time. Keep in mind that all CPR does is keep a body possibly viable until they can be defibrilated or recieve drug therapy. I had a patient we worked on for 45 minutes and they put so much atropine and epinephrine into her they eventually did get a pulse back. She died on the way to the hospital, but that's the closest to a save I've seen from CPR in 5 years as a firefighter.

Depends on where you are. We've had to hike in to where the patient is on more than a few occasions. Probably the most important skill for initial tratment of trauma is managing shock. The body is really good at stopping bleeding on it's own, even from some pretty horrendous wounds. Shock on the other hand will kill you, it may just take a while to do it. Laying a patient down, elevating their feet and keeping them warm will do more to keep them alive than a lot of other things you can do. Remember, Airway, Breathing, Circulation; we can deal with the rest of it later.

There is a lot of debate in the field of Emergency Medicine as to how much good spinal immobilization does for the patient. The general feeling now is that if the spinal cord is going to be severed then it is going to happen in the initial impact and that what we do to the patient afterwords isn't likley to make things any worse. That said, you try to immobilize the C-spine as best you can, but don't compromise other interventions to do it.

Again, it depends on where you are. If you're out in the woods or way out in the country, it can. The best thing to do for bleeding is direct pressure, elevate the extremity, and if it's really bad go for a pressure point. The current thinking on tourniquets is only use one if there is absolutly no other way to stop the bleeding because everything below the tourniquet is probably going to die if you apply one.

2. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

I learned all my medicene form natural selection!! but people seem annyed when I heal spray :|

3. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Yes, that's right, nothing special. :eyebrow:

Picture yourself upside down, strapped inside a wrecked car in pain and agony, not knowing how badly you're hurt, listening to people in pain around you, not knowing what's happening... I'll bet you'd forever thank the first person that showed up and took control of the situation to help you, telling you it's ok and that help was on the way.

You ignorant f**k.

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Actually, I've been forever thanked for being the first person that showed up and took control of the exact situation you just described. This guy is making out like America's Army gave him some special edge that allowed him to help more, but in reality it didn't unless the guy was a complete idiot. He looked at the people and judged who was worst - that comes automatically - he did his best to work out what damage had been done to what people - again that comes automatically - and he probably tried to direct paramedics to the worst injured - again, automatic.

Things like this just annoy me because people make out like some very minor factor made a difference when the main thing that makes a difference is being there, and using common sense. Using an experience like that as ammunition to boost a cause like video games seems fairly lame to me.

Well done for assuming I have no idea what I'm talking about though and being a p***k about it too, 10/10 on that one!

5. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

I think it may have helped him a bit, (like knowing to elevate the wound and apply pressure)

But overall, i doubt it helped him a tonne, ofc, considering how much BS gets spread around about games (like they cause people to go on a rampage and massacre buildings full of people) its nice to see some the other way

6. zerolock

zerolock What's a Dremel?

reminds me of a incident when some guy used his experience in wow to get rid of a bear by faking death :p

7. knowyourenemy

knowyourenemy Professional Winner

Jealous.

8. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Try reading the thread....

9. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Ohhhhhhh really? Hmm how interesting. Amazing you didn't mention the same situation in your original blab as a point of reference to quantify why it was "nothing special". So I guess what you did for these people you helped was, "nothing special" either huh? That's completely ungracious to the people "you helped" [snicker] and the event to which you managed [lol!]

Thank you -- I take full credit for assuming you have no idea what you're talking about. I caught you out on talking like an ignorant f**k and you tried to save your dignity by making up a story with a similar scenario, putting yourself into this chap's situation with you as the 'hero'.

Well played. Tho as a poker hand you'd of lost the pot :hehe:

10. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Exactly - it is nothing special. It's not a big deal, and you don't need to have played America's Army to do something. This guy acting like his favourite video game somehow helped him do lots more and save lives is just him using the horrific experiences of other people as ammunition against anti-video games people

You really have missed the point....

Last edited: 20 Jan 2008
  11. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Most people don't realise what they have in them to deal with situations like the above until it comes to having to do it. So the question is, was he capable of dealing with the situation in the first place, before he ever played AA, but didn't realise...

12. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

I would personally find a response like that to be natural(now i can not be 100% on that b/c I have yet to be in this situation, but I hope that it would be). However this is a result of my natural personality and inclinations. It can be said that most people would just freak out and not really do anything more than be onlookers. This is simply because some would not act out of confusion while others would be affected by natural flee vs fight instinct. Now I do agree that the game may have helped him in the matter because it gave him experience and confidence. But it is his natural instinct that really saved those people. In other words he was born a hero the game did not make him one.

In this it is important to note that although he most likely would have tried to help regardless of playing the game or not, he may not have been as helpful without the experience and knowledge the game taught him. So remember the fact that he helped them and how he helped them are two different things and are effected by different sources. Such as instinct, confidence, knowledge, and experience.

13. rjkoneill

rjkoneill What's a Dremel?

i learned how to do 360inward heelflips on a skateboard after watching the foot positioning in slo mo on SKATE

i have learned that the enemy uav is online after playing call of duty 4

14. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

But not to check the date on dead threads....

Tags: Add Tags