1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Homemade Alu case /w copper highlights. FINISHED.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by legoman666, 9 Jan 2008.

1. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

Update 4!

Got another package in the mail today, a slim slot loading DVD drive. The idea is to make a similar external casing like my cherry one. Of course, this slim drive requires 2 adapters to change it to USB, so those are on the way also.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here's what I did yesterday; drilled all of the holes for the front and tapped the holes on the frame. I ran out of my black hex screws.

[​IMG]
    The Victim.

[​IMG]
    The Target.

[​IMG]
    Down for the count!

[​IMG]
    The Prize!

[​IMG]
    Pro modder ^^

[​IMG]
    Trimming down superfluous stuff.

[​IMG]
    Mostly trimmed down.

[​IMG]
    Fnished and in place (with tape). This is where I stopped tonight...

[​IMG]
    Powered by DangerDen.
    Until next time...

Last edited: 20 Jan 2008
  2. legoman666

Update 5!

I was back at it again this morning and evening; got some more work done.

[​IMG]
    Freakin cold outside today, so I warmed up with a yummy plate of fried macaroni and cheese!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I did this yesterday. I started to cut it with the scroll saw, but the blade broke because it got too dull. It was a wood blade, so I wasn't expecting it to last anyway. So I cut the rest with a jig saw which was about 5x faster, so I'm glad that blade broke.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I attached the back pane with a few pop rivets.

[​IMG]
    Shot of an old mobo in place with the back pane.

[​IMG]
    It's not actually attached yet. I haven't decided what screws to use to fasten it yet, so the holes on the panel aren't enlarged yet.

[​IMG]
    I soldered all of the leads from the radiator fans together and routed the cable through the frame of the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I fabricated a smallish (1.5" tall) reservoir out of a unused piece of 4.25" diameter acrylic tubing that I had lying around. I sealed it with silicon gel. It's still drying, but I bet there are leaks in it that I'm going to have to seal.

[​IMG]
    These are the screws that I ordered for the front of the case. I think they'll look nice on the front of the case since it will be polished. I will use the black socket screws for the rest of the panels (except the back where I'll use something less flashy).

Some work not pictured that I did was drilling all of the holes for the left side panel (the one without the window).

[​IMG]
    Powered by DangerDen.

Anyway, that's all for today. Comments? Suggestions?

Last edited: 20 Jan 2008
  3. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

This made me lol!!!!
    What I meant about burning the other sides for the uniform look, is to have the top, bottom, both sides, and the front burned. :idea: You know, that beautiful look of black! :lol::naughty:

4. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

I have the same thermometer. hehehe but it is a little colder there than here.

The case is really looking good. Could you post a pic of the res next to something so that I can get an idea of the size? It just looks really small

5. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

i think this is turning out pretty great. (those screws are nice too)
    but I'm just worried about your res. i know silicon is tough an all, but i wouldn't trust it with my pc components.(not saying that your handiwork sucks, i just wouldn't trust the silicon)
    maybe some sort of copper/alu band around it(top to bottom)?

6. legoman666

[​IMG]
    Here ya go.

That's a pretty good idea, I think a sort of alu "clamp" would look pretty cool. I might need to buy some O rings. I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow.

7. legoman666

Update 6!

Was busy this morning!

[​IMG]
    I started off by measuring the dimensions for the inner top panel (you'll see what I mean if this doesn't make sense).

[​IMG]
    After a few minutes on the band saw...

[​IMG]
    Then it's snug after a few more minutes of filing...

[​IMG]
    Right side.

[​IMG]
    Left side.

[​IMG]
    Drilling the (pilot) holes in the panel.

[​IMG]
    Nifty drill attachment to get into tight spaces. Very useful, only problem is applying enough force on the axis of drilling.

[​IMG]
    Method I devised to use the jig saw without screwing the panel onto the frame. Worked quite well.

[​IMG]
    And here it is after much filing and sanding. You can also see that I sanded the panel itself. I used a random orbit sander with 220 grit sand paper to do it. It looks alright for the inside of the case, but I want something more uniform or more brushed looking for the outer side panels.

[​IMG]
    Remember that modders mesh? Well here it is in place. Small screw/bolt, then a washer, then a nut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pic of the screws I used. Also, see the pilot hole I drilled for the 3/4" hole for the tubing.

[​IMG]
    Massive 3/4" drill bit.

[​IMG]
    Fits quite well.

[​IMG]
    And the panel finally screwed in place.

This is where I stopped today, I was getting hungry! Comments? Suggestions?

[​IMG]