1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a new pc - need some advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xtian11, 21 Jan 2008.

1. xtian11

xtian11 What's a Dremel?

I'm looking to build a new gaming pc for around £700.

I have decided on the following parts so far:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz 1333FSB Socket 775 4MB Cache
    Point Of View 8800GTS G92 512MB GDDR3 Dual DVI TV Out PCI-E Graphics Card
    Corsair VX 550W PSU - 120mm Fan, 5 Year Warranty
    Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Cache - OEM

But after this point i am a little confused what to go for. Which motherboard and ram would you suggest. Thanks in advance.

2. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I seem to remember the abit IP35 getting good reviews?
    And for memory, I'm a fan of Corsair tbh. :)

3. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Aye... Abit IP35, or any of the Asus/Gigabyte P35 boards.

RAM: There are some fantastic prices on 4GB (2x 2GB) DDR II dual channel kits just now!
    If you overclock... this 4GB OCZ 'Reaper' kit is only £77.00!
    If you're not bothered about OCing - or want to spend the bulk of your budget on the mobo, CPU and graphics... Aria are offering a 4GB Arianet PC2-6400 kit (it's actually A-Data branded RAM, which is decent stuff in its own right!) for just £39.95 / £46.94 :eeek: :clap:

Other than those... consider anything from the usual 'suspects' - i.e. Corsair, Crucial, G.Skill, Geil, etc.

Re the HDD: You might want to consider one of the newer drives, with 32MB cache on board!?
    There are a couple of different makes/models available - i.e. the Samsung Spinpoint F1, and the Hitachi Deskstar.
    My personal favourite however, is the Seagate 7200.11 - which of course carries their now standard 5 year warranty 8)

4. xtian11

xtian11 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your advice so far.

I suppose the question i really wanted to ask is, is it worth matching the fsb of the processor with the ram. I.e. getting ram that is 1333mhz rather then 800mhz. Ive found http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(19743)OCZ-2GB-Kit-2x1024-Platinum-Edition-Memory.aspx , but at 150 quid it is a tad expensive. From what ive read, to get the most out of the processor, it needs the same fsb to avoid bottlenecking, which caps the max fsp you can get. It is also ddr3 which ive had no previous experience with, so any advice would be appreciated.

5. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

hold up

i would look at getting the e8400 cooler and quicker (excellent Overclocking results) than the 6750 (and same price iirc) i would also get some 8500(1066) ram as the geil and crucial stuff is pretty cheap from overclockers and Scan also has some excellent deals on corsair DDR2 ram at the moment

for the MOBO it entirely depends on your budget and whether or not you want to go SLI in the future?
    but you cant really go wrong with the ip35

6. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Don't forget that the Processor FSB is Quad-Pumped (1333 is actually ~333) and RAM is Double Pumped (667 is actually ~333)

In theory, you only need 667MHz RAM for a 1333 Processor FSB.

7. allockse

allockse The Cheesecake is a lie...

I've never heard of "Point of View" graphics before. I would check the warranty they offer, and make sure it's solid. By solid I mean lifetime or damn close.

Video cards are getting so much power and heat lately the failure rate has significantly increased.

As far as MB's go, are you planning on SLI eventually?

If you're going to stick with one card I would definitely get an intel x38 chipset board for the better stability.

This is the best board for price and performance in my humble opinion: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131219

8. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

They've been selling video cards for years :idea: And there's nowt wrong with them ;)

I don't know of any video card manufacturer who offers a "lifetime" warranty on their cards... or anything close to it for that matter (probably because it's simply not viable) :confused:

IIRC.... EVGA's is currently the best - @ 10 years?

9. allockse

BFG has been doing it since forever. http://www.bfgtech.com/warranty.aspx

EVGA just started this recently as well: http://www.evga.com/support/lifetime/

XFX has an interesting plan: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/08/18/xfx_lifetime_warranty/

check this out for XFX also: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/xfx_amends_lifetime_warranty_gives_green_light_to_oc

Seems viable to me.

Also, skip the 8800GTS. The 8800GT(512MB) outperforms it, is cheaper, fits in one slot, and is the poor mans 8800GTX if you ask me.

Look it up.

10. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

If you'd bothered to look it up, you would have read all about the new 512mb version of the 8800GTS, which is based on the same core as the 8800GT and is 10% faster.

Long day. :p

11. joytime360

joytime360 What's a Dremel?

The 8800GT has better performance than the 8800GTS, and they are with better price.

12. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

The GT has better performance than the OLD GTS in some scenarios. The new GTS is faster than the GT in all scenarios.

13. allockse

Good call.

I don't know If I would shell out $50.00 extra, but the new GTS is MUCH better than the original. Also depends on his case if he has 2 free slots.