1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Gaming in the real world

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 16 Jan 2008.

1. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

wow this article is so awesome...

kinda like asking the question, if ur good at guitar hero, u think u can play a real guitar? lol

2. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

I enjoyed reading this. It was a good analysis of the limits of video games.
    But I think those limits should stay and be removed for the same reason : people should learn to make the difference between game and reality (thus the reality "gap" left in games), and should also see that what they do in game would be devastating in RL (I'm thinking about Columbine and other shootings).

3. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

People can already get an accurate idea of what real life combat results in everytime they watch the news. All high definition, colour corrected imagery. You can practically taste the brain matter.
    I remember reading an article about, (if I can find it I'll post here later) how in computer gaming, the closer we get to photo realism the harder it is for our brains to accept the interaction of a NPC as human, due to us subconsciously being more critical about how they act. Basically we have a inbuilt BS detector.

4. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Good article, although somewhat predictable a little when it comes to 'games aren't real' arguments. Or maybe I just thought too often about this subject before ? ;)

Good entertaining reading nonetheless :)

5. geo139

geo139 What's a Dremel?

Wow thanks for that, really stimulating read!!

6. SileNceR

SileNceR What's a Dremel?

That was a fantastic read, although like others wonder if the author has played Operation Flashpoint or similar, more accurate wind/drop on weapons, much harder to fly (or even take off) jets, hard to do much tricky stuff (or even land) in helicopters without practice, etc etc. map sizing more realistic (take half an hour to run across, a minute or two to fly in a jet, five minutes in a helicopter?)

7. Jambe

Jambe What's a Dremel?

A nice read with some interesting thoughts. A nitpick: modern cartridges are not filled with black powder.

8. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

The armourers always called it black powder. I think it's actually Cordite or Solphur-Free Gunpowder... not sure. I only fired the things. ;)

9. Bluefan

Bluefan test 123

The game America's Army (I know, propaganda, but still) has some nice realistic features.
    For instance, your weapon can really jam. Altough it occurs not much, it can.

Also, you can (but most servers don't) turn off the hud as far as you want. Ammo stays in it's mag, so if you reload each time you have still 15 bullets to go, you end up with all mags half filled.

It comes quite realistic (compared to COD and the like), although the health is still an issue. You can run slower, your aim is worse, but still, you're not out of the battle by a single shot not in your head/neck. You die fast, but not fast enough to be realistic.

As far as I can remember, grenade shrapnel really flies around.

Tags: Add Tags