1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rear-projection down but not out?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Jan 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Rear-pro...Rear-pruh...prew-jek-shun?

...never heard of it....

3. Orlix

Orlix What's a Dremel?

If the picture quality improves without afecting the price too much, it could LCD a good fight. The main advantage I see in Rear projection is the size and the price difference vs LCD.

4. Corvyne

Corvyne What's a Dremel?

With dolby having bought out brightside technologies, the people behind the active LED backlight matrix and now marketing it as dolby HDR, I think they might have a bit of a struggle on their hands.
    http://www.dolby.com/promo/hdr/technology.html

5. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

so long as the rear projection screens aren't as s*** as the ones I was looking at a year or so ago. the ones I was looking at had the worst viewing angle I have ever seen where you had to pretty much be directly in front of and level with the screen to get a passable view of the action.

6. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

ditto....viewing angles on RPTVs (from what I've experienced) are not as good as they should be and if you aren't staring directly in front of it the image can get color distortion and look faded.....but again this is my experience on a 6-year old Mitsubishi 1080i/480p RPTV......

7. Trekari

Trekari What's a Dremel?

Two things killed DLP for me when I was looking to purchase my first HDTV last Feb.

1) The texture of the screen was clearly visible to me on light pictures to the point of being distracting from what I was trying to watch.

2) The input lag using a video game console was unbearable. Even with all options for "Game mode" turned on, the processing delay from moving my controller stick and then waiting for my character to move was not tolerable and would've made competitive gaming impossible.

8. marscay

marscay What's a Dremel?

this is great news, for those that don't know about DLP take a look at the Sagem HD series or the Sony SXRD's.

i have a 56" sagem and in HD it beats the pants of any LCD and any Plasma under 3-4k for PQ - and in terms of black levels versus LCD it's not contest.

they're the great unknown sets for those 'in the know' :)

9. Lucidity

Lucidity What's a Dremel?

DLPs will remain the sets of true ht enthusiasts as long as they exist. You just can't get the colors, response time, and deep blacks from an LCD, and in order to get it out of a plasma you will have to bleed your bank account dry. This is great news, as it seemed like TI had given up on their awesome technology. Getting a flat panel is pointless anyway, nobody makes flat components......

10. Lucidity

Lucidity What's a Dremel?

I'm not quite sure what dlp you were looking at, but it was either crap or an older model. The new Samsung we just got is amazing for gaming. I experienced no lag whatsoever plus it was 2k less than the plasma we were looking at. I know that DLP had problems like 2-3 years ago, but those have been fixed (at least by Samsung and Mitsu sets).

11. Trekari

Trekari What's a Dremel?

Actually the DLP in question was the 42" Samsung, along with the 4676S Samsung with the slim depth. They were both not acceptable for gaming in any way, shape or form as far as I was concerned.

12. CanadianViking

CanadianViking Beast from the North

500,000:1?! :jawdrop:

I thought the 2000:1 on my LCD TV was decent.

Tags: Add Tags