1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Woody by zwiks

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by zwiks, 5 Jan 2008.

1. zwiks

zwiks My avatar: :D

heh. thanks .. sorry for the use of big fonts. hhehe yeah im am very exited.. cuz its my first casemod.. by the way i use a a little red thing to make the edges - heres a picture of a simmulare:

[​IMG]

and thanks Snafu-X- for the nice idea.. it was very good. !! :D

as regard to the edge on the window hole... it was the idea to make a smooth edge.. but i have to do it in my woodwork classes.. cuz i dont have the tool at home for making it nice..

mvagusta .. its a good idea to buy some mesh.. but i dont know where.. but i will find some..

.. and just thanks for youre comments .. i like it sooo much... damn its good.. THANKS ... :D

Last edited: 7 Jan 2008
  2. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

:D
    Glad we could bring you so much joy! The casemod looks good thus far, so keep it coming!

3. zwiks

Yeaah.. i will .. .but i will be gone for 2weeks from today.. (skiing holiday :D :D jubii) SEE YAA :D:lol::lol:

4. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Dim black I'm guessing means flat black. you have a few options here. First of all I would finish sanding the entire case, bondo, spot putty, sanding whatever. Then when you are ready, prime it with a SANDABLE Flat black primer. Ask at any paint shop and they'll show you the right product. Then after you've done a few coats and sanded with 500 grit inbetween you'll know what flat black looks like. You probably won't like it. If you want a flatter black than gloss but don't like the flat black you should go with satin. You'll want to get a Hot rod Black kit from an autobody supply store. This is the ONLY satin black paint you should ever use. It is the most durable, has the nicest finish, and isn't too expensive ($70) Of course you'll need a gun. but if you can't get a gun I believe it is available in a can.

5. zwiks

Thank you for youre comment.. nice idea.. i should consitter it :D sounds nice :p

6. zwiks

NEW IMAGES,,

Yeeaaah. new images again :p

This look like ***BEEEP*** .. i know, but i'm not done with it.. remember that :p :D:D :
    [​IMG]

This is some stuff i recived a week ago :p .. but i need to order some more of those.. it aint glowing a nought yet . :D:D :
    [​IMG]

This is also some stuff i recived a week ago... and I also have to order 1 more of those .. :D:D:wallbash:
    [​IMG]

7. perkins teh modder

perkins teh modder What's a Dremel?

instead of painting it you should add a redwood tone color stain then gloss it, but thats jus me

8. zwiks

yeahh good idea.. but i dont like the "wood-color" eheh but thanks for the comment.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

9. perkins teh modder

oh thats 2 bad, i kinda wanted to see it with wood color:waah:

10. Snafu-X-

Snafu-X- What's a Dremel?

I agree, stick with a wood color. There are a lot of beautiful dark stains out there you can use. Maybe a dark walnut with a satin finish...that would look sweet. There are even some nice black stains you could use.

11. zwiks

yeah. i get youre point.. but i dont know what i should put on the wood.. wich varnish, pain.. i actually dont know :p hehe

someone who do ??

12. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

You would only stain the project if it was real wood...since this is MDF I think you're committed to paint.

13. perkins teh modder

this is true, but if i made a wood mod i would at least try it, if i didnt like the stain color i would use a mouse sander and then start over with paint as zwiks wants to do

14. Stuey

It's honestly not worth trying. MDF is intended to be left bare, sealed, painted, laminated, or veneered.

15. Snafu-X-

Snafu-X- What's a Dremel?

I didn't realize it was mdf when I suggested a stain, though the pics should have made it obvious to me. Staning it will look like crap, painting is really the only way to go. Regardless, it looks fantastic thus far.

16. zwiks

thanks.. for all the surgestions .. but i think im just puttying the cracks and then give it some primer.. and paint it flat black.. and im doing it around 2 hours .. hehe so no time for a new idea.. hehe but i'm sure its gonna be coooooooooool :D :rock::rock:

17. Stuey

You might not need to prime the mdf - sometimes they come paint-ready.

18. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

Actually, I think it'll need to be primed AND sealed before paint.

Depending on the surface desired she'll need lots of sanding before finish color as well.

Not that it matters- and you seem to rushing headlong anyway, so this will be too late- but I'd definitely vote AGAINST flat black.
    Too dull and very prone to showing dust and the like.

19. SlappKnutts

SlappKnutts What's a Dremel?

Actually I think he's done a heck of a job, especially for being 15!
    And you rounded those corners off with a rasp?!?! Wow, that must have taken some time!
    I would agree on using a glossy paint. flat black usually doesn't look that great on a case!

20. zwiks

Thank you for youre lovely comments :D.. i calculated that i have used around 50 hours on the pc .. to night im painting it flat black and im soon posting some pictures of it.. and if it looks bad I've just give it a glossy black and make it look like a mac-book-paint ..just in black :D see ya :D

ps. I give the case some putty . then sand it with a 400 .. and then paint it :D

Last edited: 23 Jan 2008