1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News W3C announces HTML 5

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Jan 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. The Chugnut

The Chugnut What's a Dremel?

There's some cool stuff in there. Dropping frames was a good call, I'm pleased with that too.

2012 for Internet Explorer support?

3. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

Frames going at last - horrible things

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

what is so bad about frames?

edit: still have to learn web design.....

5. OleJ

OleJ Me!

RIP frames. You will only be missed by... uhm... by.... hmm.. guess not.

As both Mozilla and Microsoft (amongst others) have been in on development of the draft we can hope that browser compliance is reached fairly quickly.

Now we only need W3C to finish the draft. 2012 may not be that far off considering everything ;)

6. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Hopefully there won't be any differences in interpretation of the code between Firefox and Internet Explorer. My website, while looking fine on literary every web browser out there, just craps out horribly on Internet Explorer.

If you got any suggestions for that problem feel free to drop me a PM. ;)

7. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Wohoo no more frames!!!!! I hated (still hate) them so much. CSS is the way to go, even without tables.

8. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

So does anybody know how i can putt a wysiwyg editor into a page then? The editor i use, used a iframe to act as the editor replacement for a textarea. Or is a Iframe different from a frame?

Not to mention the bs with crossbrowser compatibility. loose/strict/xhtml1/etc/etc. They cant even make html4 work correctly so why bother with html5.

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well to be fair, frames have always been by far the easiest method to get static navigation on a page and back in the day of completely static sites was really the only thing you could use to separate something from something else. But they won't be missed.

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

MS have always been on the W3C committee but the M$-bashers at the table have often taken a contrary view to IE's practice just out of anti-M$ cussedness. With the infamous IE5 box model they could have said, "Hey, that's a good idea!" :thumb:

11. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i hope they decide not to drop the style attribute from everything but <font> though, that kinda sucks :\

12. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

does the death of frames include iframes? I dear god hope not, half my websites have iframes. I want better support for iframes in IE so it looks correct. Then again IE is a Microsoft product which means its low-quality anyways.

13. Robotrix

Robotrix What's a Dremel?

For something significant like that, they could bring it as an update for IE8. Or if the standard is finalised in time they could put it in before IE8 is released.

I think 2012 is stretching it a bit.

14. ChiperSoft

ChiperSoft What's a Dremel?

There are a lot of situations where frames are a much easier way to go, like if you need to update portions of the page without wanting to do a full reload. Sure you can do it via AJAX, but frames are so much easier, and you know it'll work on every browser.

And, lets be honest, Microsoft has no good reason to commit money to making internet explorer compliant, even if it IS their own standard.

15. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

frames are nasty and really inflexible, about time they died
    ajax is a much, much better way to update/change portions of a website, it works in pretty much every browser in common use today
    and with a framework like prototype.js etc. its just as easy if not easier than frames, my first working ajax page took me about a minute to create :p

16. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

If I can no longer use iframes what do i use to replace them... if anyone knows please post. All i need is the name of the command and I can look the rest up on Google. (please nothing with java though I want to make it very complaint.)

Or maybe they are keeping iframes, well i know what I am reading next week.

17. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

There, fixed :p

18. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

woo, more AJAX, cos that helps legacy support.

19. 8igdave

8igdave Counting down the days to November!

dont know much about web design, so what does this actually mean for people browsing the web? Any signifcant changes? Faster loading times of pages (not that its really a problem with broadband now)?

Anything which will benefit me or just makign web designers lives easyer?

20. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

?

Bearing in mind that FONT is a deprecated elemnt in HTML4 anyway, I hope it is entirely unsupported.

I haven't read the proposals, but I would be astonished if IFRAMES are removed; they are a legitimate structure in HTML, if somewhat overused/misused.

If it makes web developers lives easier, that in itself will have a benefit to the end user. Especially if all the major browsers support it quickly and consistently (big IF...).

Tags: Add Tags