1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Rules of Game Design

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 23 Jan 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Hm. Maybe in SS2. Thing is, there's a patch to remove respawning bad guys and with it on then game feels very empty. You get the sensation there must only have been about 20 people on both of the space ships, which is vaguely ridiculous. The respawning enemies would be a flaw in many a game, but it works very well with the weapon degradation I feel.

I think Max Payne was a classic example of too much style and a decent amount of substance. The plot was great, the gameplay brilliant and the way the story is told is good...at first. By the time I got to the fourth level or so though, I was pretty damn sick of gravelly voiced introspection being rammed down my throat in slow motion every ten minutes. It needed to lay off just a little bit and stop with all the deep, drunkenly-voiced exposition

"I went in the room and there was blood on the floor. I'd just shot someone again and felt nothing - was I going numb with the cold outside or had I been desenstized long before; shocked into infinite complacency by my dead child and the sea of deciet and drugs I had lain in ever since?"

No, Max: you're just an emo kid with a gun and not enough guts for a suicide. Please be quiet for a bit.

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

"I stared at the screen, the words seeping into my consciousness like blood from a bullet wound. At first I was confused, angry. My fists clenched like a starving cobra right before a meal; the cries of a dead child echoing through my brain like dried leaves, stained with the blood of the *******s who took her from me. But then the truth hit me, full in the face like a train wreck from my own tortured unconscious. I could spend my whole life chasing demons, but when the big crunch inevitably came, the ******* was absolutely right: I was an emo kid."

3. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

P.S. Why are you ragging on UT3 for unskippable intros, just left click ..... (only the ESRB/licence screen is unskippable)

4. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

At what point does Joe say UT3s cutscenes are unskippable?

5. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

They are, however, skip-able

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Read the quote you yourself posted again. All Joe said is that every game has cutscenes, from Command and Conquer to UT3. He wasn't even yet talking about whether they were unskippale or not.

7. dom_

dom_ --->

Good article i rarely read a bit-tech article all the way through, but i just did.

FMV's......

I think i played one good one.
    The x-files game! I could not put it down. Good blend of video and gameplay.

8. CoolFox

CoolFox What's a Dremel?

In regard to this... what about Max Payne? That mixed 3D gameplay with graphic novel cutscene storytelling, and it worked perfectly. The big thing is to keep your formula for story telling CONSISTENT, because it tends to pulls you out of the atmosphere of you don't. Max Payne 2 had this problem, as it used both in engine cutscenes and the graphic novel.

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

:read:

10. ninomojo

ninomojo What's a Dremel?

"unless the saving system can be feasibly put into the game in a way that is immersive and reasonable – like the type writers in the Resident Evil series"

You gotta be f*cking kidding me...

Tags: Add Tags