1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows MS Freelancer

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by MilkMan5, 24 Jan 2008.

1. MilkMan5

MilkMan5 Yeah man...

Hi All,

A few years ago, I played MS Freelancer and actually I enjoyed the game.
    I think that MS could have done a better job on the game, but in general I enjoyed the game.
    I felt the controls were easy to use, actually the whole game was easy and straight forward.

I can’t see my self playing that game again, but is there anything else out there that is similar to MS Freelancer?
    Eve online looks excellent, but very complex and long, besides I don’t want online.

Anyone has advice?

Last edited by a moderator: 25 Jan 2008
  2. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Freelancer rocked, esp multiplayer, probably the best space sim I have ever played, really simple, but still full of stuff to do. Granted it could become a little repeatitive after a while, but only really if you played 24/7 and tbh, what games doesn't become repeatitive after a while... :clap:

As for advice, I unfortunatly don't have any, I havn't really played any games since, other than maybe SWG Jump To Lightspeed... but just don't go there.

3. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

The closest thing in my mind would be Eve Online. Not sure about X2 or X3, having never played them.

5. MilkMan5

MilkMan5 Yeah man...

I am surprised by your reply, I did not realise other people also liked the game.
    I though I was but a few who enjoyed this game, I don’t hear many people talking about.

I agree with you, it was such a good game, I wish they would release a new series.

Thx for all the feedback so far.

6. MilkMan5

MilkMan5 Yeah man...

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

X2 and X3 are much more complicated than freelancer. I enjoyed freelancer but i got bored after the plot ran out (quickly) X2 kept me interested for much longer especially after i got bored of the plot and ran off and done my own thing.

8. willowthewhite

willowthewhite Minimodder

Another vote for X3, it does seem difficult to start but gets easier as you progress.
    I do have Freelancer but haven't played it much, couldn't get on with the controls.

9. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

i bought x3 hoping it would be a great game. and it is, but it does have a few downsides. i hate combat, the ships just aren't exciting to fly in. everything takes forever to do. thank god you can speed up the game. i haven't played much of the story, I did the second mission and it was just crap. it didn't make any sense. I felt like they forgot to put parts of the story in. its a good economic sim, but I found that getting a good trade route going was hard to do. There is too much looking around and trying to find a station to sell your goods at for a good price. and by the time you get there, someone else beat you to it and you cant sell your stuff unless you take a loss for it.

10. BlueTrin

BlueTrin What's a Dremel?

Many people really liked it, the problem is that mods that made it even better went out years after its release.

There are alot of custom servers with incredible features although i do not know if they are still up ...

X2 and X3 are complicated for nothing, unless you enjoy sitting there fixing problems in the AI and beta test addons to improve the deficient AI when it is managing your factory and trading, you will not like it ...

11. Akava

Akava Lurking...

My experiance of X3 was bad. The game itself looked great, and as such I though it would be fun... but it was sooo complicated and... tbh pointlessly so.

12. Jebus.exe

Jebus.exe Beta V1.0.0.1

i bought X2 a while back on a friday if i remember correctly, and i think i got rid of it on the following monday...

havent played X3 but it the controls are the same then i wont be, which is a shame as i love freelancer and have recently just started playing it a again.

anouther really good freelance type of game is, The Darkening: Priveteer 2 but it is very old and you have to get a patch for it to work on xp, but well worth a go i loved it when i last played it, but that was a while ago... :D

13. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Thing with freelancer is that it's more on the arcade end of the spectrum whilst X2/3, Independance war (EOC) fit closer to the simulator and much closer to the game they are trying to emulate, elite. They are totally different types of games only the setting is the same (space).

Actually now i think about it EOC is quite a good game also

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Freelancer was fantastic! Great controls, lots of dog fights and upgrades. Wondeful :)

I never got into multiplayer though :(

15. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

even with that patch i haven't beenable to get it to work on xp. :(

16. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Although Freelancer is a superb game, I enjoyed its predecessor more. StarLancer was a blast on cooperative LAN.

You'll only like X2 or X3 if you're absolutely obsessive about the game.

17. Jebus.exe

Jebus.exe Beta V1.0.0.1

I Didn't have to use the patch personally, i played it on an older machine. but stick with it, there were lots about. :thumb:

18. MilkMan5

MilkMan5 Yeah man...

OMG - was not aware of StarLancer :duh:

Will download trial and check it out.

Thx all for the feedback :thumb:

19. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

I was a huge freelancer fan (i actually played until my disc stopped working) there are alot of excellent mods out there. Including one server that is run by someone in the UK it's called the Colours mod. Also there is asgard and evolution. Other games to check out are Darkstar one and the freespace series. Actually becuase volition is gone now i believe it comes under the terms of abandon ware :) Also others that i have played that were fun was tacheyon the fringe.

20. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

Freespace 2!
    x2 and x3 are so dull I played for about 24hrs (playtime not continious) just expecting the fun bits to be just around the corner and they just weren't
    Also if you can get it Hardwar is very like freelancer and has a real economy. It needs patching and isn't upto moden production standrads though.

Tags: