1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dell offers high-end Ubuntu laptop

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Jan 2008.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Sorry, I meant to include a link in the original article. It's http://www.dell.co.uk/ubuntu.

Actually, 'twas I who wrote that, not Joe. Plus I'm curious as to why you think it's an oxymoron?

2. 8igdave

8igdave Counting down the days to November!

the vostros have been selling very well i think.

3. TheVoice

TheVoice What's a Dremel?

4. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

I like the idea but you are not saving money by buying it with Linux. To make the Linux model match the same specs as the windows it will cost you £54 more than windows model. Also dell has not started selling the high end equipment with Linux in the us yet. They only have 2 model they offer with linux and both are entry level

5. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

hehe... they should put Gentoo on the systems and see how long it takes people to brick their new laptop :D

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Once installed, Gentoo isn't that much harder to maintain then Ubuntu...

7. phat-ant

phat-ant What's a Dremel?

thanks for the link Gareth Halfacree, shame that its more expensive than the winblows version, i guess it would make more sense to buy the windows version and wipe it clean stick linux on after.

8. naokaji

naokaji whatever

well, linux is harder to use for average joe than windows... so they will get more support requests for it which explains why they charge more for it.

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

the average joe wont buy this laptop..... you say "linux" and they either run away, thing there is a new version of windows or they heard you wrong.

10. naokaji

naokaji whatever

but only average joe buys from dell..

which makes it questionable if they actually intend to sell them or if its a marketing stunt.

11. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

that's not quite true.
    now i might build my gaming pc's ... but i have 2 dells - a laptop and a desktop - in my house. 3 other dell laptops that i have gotten for family.
    not all dell machines are crap.

granted - the dells that most tech-oriented people deal with are the family members that buy the cheapie dells thinking they are gonna run the world with it ...but the business-class machines are actually quite nice. my d810 rocks. first laptop that i have owned that was worth playing games on.

ok enuff of the dell ranting - i will have to try ubuntu (as much as i dislike the brown distro) on my gx280 ... i couldn't get either Sabayon 3.4 or Mandriva 2k8 to load properly on it.
    come to think of it - i don't think they worked on my 810 or on the i1550 that i gave my father in law either - wierd sound recognition issues ...

12. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

And keep in mind Dell sells a LOT of server hardware, which is anything but cheap.

The reason these will sell is because you're pretty much gaurenteed that all the hardware will be compatible and work under linux. With a desktop that's not such a big deal because you can replace a non-compatible component, but not many of us are going to start hacking a laptop.

I see one of these in my future.

Tags: Add Tags