1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting to a wireless network in XP

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by paul_s57, 27 Jan 2008.

1. paul_s57

paul_s57 What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I have recently reloaded my PC and installed the Abit AirPace wifi card into my system. The install went fine and I installed the drivers / software for it and windows can see all the wireless networks in range however when I try to connect to my wireless network I get an error saying that it might no longer be in range and to try refreshing the list of available networks. Even though it shows it to have full strength and the router is only about 10 meters away with only a thin wall in between.

The router is setup with mac filtering and it has WPA2 encryption on it (and I have added the mac address of the wifi card into the routers list).

It its installed on my Abit AB9 Pro Motherboard (in one of the PCI-X1 slots)
    The only other cards i have installed is a Sapphire HD3850 graphics card in the PCI-x16 slot and a Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional Sound Card (XtremeGamer) in one of the PCI slots.

I am running this in windows XP Pro SP2,

Also I am not sure if this is related but my bluetooth wireless keyboard and moues seem to be playing up a bit (i.e. the mouse does not seem to respond as well almost as if something is interfering) which I never has before.

If anybody has any ideas on what is going on / what I have forgotten to do / install, then I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance

2. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

Are you using Windows Zero Cofiguration or a supplied app from Abit?

3. paul_s57

Well i am having to use windows default wireless connection software as the Abit AirPace does not seem to have software for connecting to an existing network as it tells you to use windows (the Abit software) only seems to show you all the netowrk stats once connected

4. paul_s57

Ok Problem Solved.

It would seem that the Abit Air-Pace wifi card does not support WPA2 security. I just changed the router to WPA and it connected first time and is now working fine

Tags: