1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Ikea Rack (pics resized)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Phat Ass, 3 Apr 2006.

1. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Dude... sweet!

What's the item name of that IKEA cupboard? I gotta get me one as well :D

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Good job!

Having three tft's in row looks like having Humvee as golfkart to me... but that's just me ;)

3. Phat Ass

Phat Ass What's a Dremel?

Double C: The backets on mine are not infact 19" appart, i'm yet to workout/remember why its called a 19" rack mount :) Mine are 17 15/16" appart, however a round 18" will suffice. The only reason mine are a bit narrower is because i used washers on each side and measureed it to the size of one of the boxes.

ReFredzRate: Cant remember the name of the model, not even sure it had a name sticker on, just one for the price. Just check the sizes and see if you could cut it down to a width, needs to be minimum 20" inside width then you can use 25mm steel rathern than 30mm that ive used, Mine is 20 1/2" which gives me room for wide steel and the washers to give it a bit more air frlo incase i should ever fill it :D

Last edited: 11 Apr 2006
  4. Renswic

Renswic What's a Dremel?

haha i spy Darth Tater and Spud Trooper! sweet, mine sit next to my computers as well, have you seen teh new one thou?
    R2 Pat2oo
    [​IMG]

:D

5. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19-inch_rack

According to the wiki entry on Racks (which i am using religiously to build mine) the 19" comes from the OD of the rails. The standard ID is 17.75" So each rail is 5/8" wide

BTW nice job on the rack :thumb:

6. Phat Ass

Indeed i had seem them Renswic, but i wasnt convinced by the pictures i saw so ive been wating to find one in a shop to have a better look at first.

scifi: good work, i had wondered for some time :) Thanks for the compliments. I've added anew shelf for the kb/mouse and KVM to sit on, the sliding on didnt work and KB ive got it 1/4" too wide to fit between the rails, so ive scrapped that idea. Plus i dont sit at the rack to work, i'd only move the kb.mouse onto the desk, so there wasnt a huge amount of point.

7. Phat Ass

The Ikea rack is under redevelopment. Not in the usual case to be turned into posh flats but for more servers and probably going to move from its current location (which actually, i've not posted a pic of yet, but i will... Anyway, with this being the 3rd of tonights Holy Thread Revivals i think i could almost say i'm active once again and doing things of interest (perhaps). I'll post some pics of the rack and its location, setup this week and then what the future plans are... if anyone cares that is :)

8. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

When I saw the date the thread was started... I actually only checked to see who'd resurrected it, with the intention of saying something similar to what you've said above - i.e. 'NecroThread'!
    But since you're the one who started the thread in the first place... and you've resurrected it again to update us on the subject in question... you're forgiven :D

9. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

Odd question, what was your dissertation on if you don’t mind me asking?

10. .Mojo.

.Mojo. What's a Dremel?

that looks cool.
    making me think of an idea so i can hide my servers and routers in a cupboard.
    to stop the mrs moaning about how they look.
    what do you use your server for?

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Cool project.

As for not being able to get < 800*600, I think it's a driver thing - they seem to have stopped supporting it (probably because basically no-one uses it anymore), try using something like powerstrip to force a res you want. :)

12. Phat Ass

It was on the different capabilities of L3 switches in networks against Routers when it comes to routing between multiple VLANs with multiple hosts in each vlan across trunked ethernet links. The setup was the 3500 CB in the middle, then twin links to a pair of switches, then on each switch there were 3 machines split into 2 vlans. And to test it i did file transfers using single large files and lots of small files, with between 1 and 50 connections to the ftp server. It was fairly complex to start some of the tests :)

The cisco side fell over when the module i had was given by the uni was incompatable with the 2621 :(

Still went well for the switch stuff. And given the results, old L3 switches arent as good as you'd think, even when they're $30k models.

Cheers

13. Phat Ass

Well the rack has been modified somewhat, in that it no longer exists in my room. The rack has been replaced with a 12U Prism comms rack and the Ikea Rack has been moved down stairs, which means it's going to need one of 2 things, a make over or replacement. plus quietening. It may yet end up in thye garage, but who knows. More on this story as it develops at eleven... Back to the studio.

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Nice HDD stack.

15. Phat Ass

End of an Era...

Alas the Ikea Rack has come to the end of its useful life. I'm in the process of getting a 42/44U compaq rack for the garage and to replace it in my current room and Prism 1/4 rack, which is almost full. Help a chap out and buy the NBX switch or the Superstack 2 in my for sale thread :)