1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anger over girls strip searches

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Shadow_101, 25 Jan 2008.

1. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

That was an EXCELLENT explanation. I really like the way you take a situation and describe all the possible scenarios. Before your post everyone was assuming the worst or another hyped up media story. You looked past all that and just went straight to the practical question, how they really might have felt.

Really helps us normal human beings to digest what has actually gone on. :rock:

Nexxo you ever considered a career in the RAF as a doctor/psychologist?

But still ... in my opinion judging from what we've been giving to read from the (ever so truthful) reports these days I think what they went through must've been a very scary experience. One's 13 and 15, not even 16, away from their mom or dad, no idea if she will be ok, and then sent for a full body strip search!? Crazy.

Last edited: 26 Jan 2008
  2. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

We can also look at a second online report of the incident from a non British biased and lately sensationalist reporting factory, these days, that is the BBC such as this foam the new york daily. Probably just as biased but at least here you get a response from the ACS and the fact that the mother is more upset at spending 12 hours in the ER without even a drink.

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

TBH stupid things like that undermine the whole damn report from my point of view. Have they ever been to the A&E on a Friday night.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Again, depends. In this case the girls were OK. Had, for example, their dad died less than a year ago then they would have experienced this very differently. Don't presume. Consider the subject's point of view.

I guess a village in Devon is not quite the same as a big city. ;)

5. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

When you go to what is meant to be such a great country like the united states you expect that there child welfare department to be pretty good. I would have(wont anymore) have let my child go off with a social worker if I was in the mother shoes but they betrayed the mothers trust. Maybe the mother felt that the social services would have looked after them a lot better, help the girl have a bit of holiday while she was in hospital.

6. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I have a friend who is an A&E nurse in Devon who might disagree with you!

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

on the topic of they being traumatized: depends, each human is made different, each brain is wired in a different way and each human has a set of different experiences.... and it also depends on the environment they are in....

IMO if this was in the middle east...... well..... you get my drift....

8. Nexxo

If this was the Middle East, let's say Iran, the US would be the first to stand on the public stage condemning what happened here, saying how this just proves how evil the Iranian goverment is.

9. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

welcome to America now
    can't finish the rest of that statement

10. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

You're kidding me?!

Nexxo, you know better than most that your average local hospital in Devon will have a few 9-5 outpatients clinics but no A&E. They'd end up travelling 40mins to the nearest General Hospital because the local trust is centralising stuff to save £££.

And unless you are lucky, you'll find your average big-town A&E department is twinned with Beirut, especially on a Saturday night.

It's amusing to go in at around 1pm on a Sunday... watching all the hung-over Sunday footballers with various limb injuries. 10 pints and a kebab the night before, followed by 90 mins of carnage against those dirty b*stards from the Dog & Duck...

Lol. Bless!

Last edited: 28 Jan 2008
  11. Nexxo

Yeah, but these are nice little girls who are members of Appledore library. I doubt that they, or their mum, ever saw the inside of an A&E on a Saturday night.

12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

She might have taken them in when they got their first headaches.

But seriously: nobody should have to see A&E on a saturday night. It's just trauma-inducing.

13. vincentnone

vincentnone enthusiast or fanboy?

thats new york for ya

14. MystChic

MystChic Geology Rocks!

It's hard to imagine what that must of been like.. worrying about their mother and being shoved away somewhere... I'm glad they're okay.

15. Edhi

Edhi What's a Dremel?

Yeah, because that's what the world needs, more people sueing other people.

16. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

In some situations though it is perfectly ok. It's when people sue for petty or ridiculous reasons that it is a problem. The whole point is to compensate yourself for cost you would not have had to cover yourself if the situation never arrived. If you caused that situation yourself. ie, a kid skateboarding on some steps falling over because one was wobbly. He's not meant to be there in the first place but some people would still try and claim. If an elderly person falls over on the same steps though, they can't necessarily pay the bill themselves and they would have every reason to get compensation.

17. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

I personally am not very fond of social services for minors, I have not heard many great success stories about such places. However, I also tend to think the individuals going into such places are not perfect members of society either. I view it kinda like a prison - sure, the treatment sucks, but it is housing criminals and thanks to tendencies of murders to sneak in razor blades or drugs and other unwanted items then strip searches and other such "rough treatment" becomes kinda necessary in a prison.

Now I realize a foster home is not a prison, but I don't know the level of violence of the people who were found at the place where the strip search was conducted. In my opinion, the strip search was most likely just a standard procedure. . . Granted it was might have been an improper procedure.

The mother of the children should not have allowed the girls to go be placed in ACS custody, but with the family being foreign I cant blame the mother for not knowing child welfare services are not a good place to be. I believe whoever suggested the idea of turning of the kids over to ACS made a great mistake.

I won't look down on the mother or ACS but whoever recommended this did mess up. I see it kinda like telling a homeless person "You can have a meal, clean bed, and warm place to sleep tonight all for free!" but leaving out "The only catch is it's in a Federal Prison where you might get stabbed with a rusty razor, also don't forget to tie a string around the bar of soap."

18. Nexxo

You're right that the kids who tend to end up in such places are no little angels. But it's a bit chicken-egg: something made them that way, and unfortunately their resulting behaviour reinforces the pattern... The difference is that adult criminals have a certain power and responsibility for making the choices they did. With juveniles it is not that simple.

Agree on the rest though. It was all just bureaucracy being its usual inflexible, thoughtless self.

(And where's you been at the last two months, dawg? Good to have you back. :) ).

19. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Who goes on holiday to Harlem?

20. Edvuld

Edvuld Minimodder

So in the US you can't go around alone at night if you're under 18 y/o? :eyebrow: