1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Dell Support

Discussion in 'General' started by Edhi, 30 Jan 2008.

1. Edhi

Edhi What's a Dremel?

Now don't get me wrong, I like Dell. Our family PC is a Dell, and it's fantastic. I've had many years good service out of a 2001FP (which my dad now uses at work), and I've never had an issue with the hardware.

But lately they've really annoyed me.

I purchased an XPS M1330 to replace my slightly ageing desktop machine - I chose the M1330 because it had HDMI out, to connect to my HDTV (which I use as a monitor).
    I got it on time, great condition, looks fantastic and runs smooth as buttah. Only issue is that it bluescreened when I connected my HDTV (did that on my desktop too, until I got beta drivers), and then when I found updated drivers, it killed the Vista Aero interface.

So I think "Ah well, I'll just send it back, buy a desktop with a more widely supported card".
    Email off to Dell, requesting to return it with an explanation ... and never hear anything again. Like the idiot I am, I didn't take down the support reference number.

But no worries, I've become quite attached to the little beasty, so I decide to sell my XPS M1210 (currently for sale on this very site ladies and gents ;)), use the M1330 as my new work laptop, and buy a desktop instead.

Saturday before last, I purchase a swish Quad-Core XPS 420, with finance, so I'm not paying anything until next January. Nice.

The documents come through, I fax them back the same day. And I wait. And wait. And wait.

Still nothing come Friday, so I call Dell support, get put through to India (or somewhere. International dialling tone Cheesecake) and explain my issue.
    Get told "We're still waiting on confirmation from the lease company (Dell Financial Services...), it'll take another "few days")

So I wait another "few days", and still my Dell order page shows nothing, and I've not received an order number (I only have an internet receipt number).
    I email Dell support this time, explaining that I've waited over a week after returning all the necessary documents and placing the order, and ask for an update.

And still, still, I have nothing.

:wallbash:

There, much better. The guys in the office are probably sick of hearing this, so I wanted to vent my spleen elsewhere ;)

2. Edhi

Edhi What's a Dremel?

Ahahaha
    Went for lunch, came back, and Dell sent me an email to say that the order is now being processed ;)

Complaining like a biatch obviously works :p

3. Pha3dr0n

Pha3dr0n Where's my Valium?

Wish I had that kind of luck - I've been moaning to Virgin and emailing them pings and tracert's for a month now - got a 20mg line and most evenings I get a rate of 50k/s if Im lucky.

Good to hear Dell are playing ball now :thumb:

4. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

I have dealt with dell business support on a regular basis, the staff have always been polite and resolved the problem rather quickly but when you have called them good knows how many times to get the same part replaced, and answer the same questions over and over it wears thin. I have over 60 faulty psus in a box from pc's just over a 16 months old. Obviously a design fault but it was like drawing blood out of a stone to get a rolling stock of replacements, it put me of buying from them on a personal level although they do have good deals.

Pha3dron its only going to get worse with the upgrade of 4mb to 10mb users on the network see here

5. naokaji

naokaji whatever

it's virgin....
    the only cure is changing provider, i'm sorry i cant say anything good about virgin.

as for the op, good to see they got it sorted...but yep, they could have handeled the situation atleast a tad better.

6. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Yeah, virgin inherited NTLs customer service, synonymous throughout the UK for the past 10 years or so for being some of the worst customerer service you can find anywhere.

7. Edhi

Edhi What's a Dremel?

Ironically, I never had a single problem with NTL for the ~8 years we were with them. When Virgin bought them, I figured we'd upgrade our rock solid 1mbps NTL line to an 8mbps line.

BIG mistake. We're talking 3kbps download and more than 1000ms pings over Christmas. We've since cancelled and gone with an Entanet reseller (UK Free Software Network) - £30pm, 330GB transfer off-peak, 60GB transfer on-peak, and so far *touch wood* the service has given us constant service of between 2mbps and 5/6mbps

Tags: