1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Cabe

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by greensabbath, 30 Jan 2008.

1. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Hello everyone, after a bit of time off and a couple months of planning and pondering, I'm back with a new case. This time however, it will actually be a case "mod" in the strictest sense. The victim in this case is quite special. You may remember Rigormortem's "Impossible modding" project. Well I met the man (i'm studying in Italy at the moment) and i was lucky enough to convince him that I could do something great with the case (which is already beautiful imho) and he kindly persuaded the great guys over at modd.it to give me a chance and send me one. So without further adeu, here is the sponsor list and subsequently, my plans for this beast.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I'll start of with some of the materials I'll be using. Most were gratiously donated by the guys at A C Ryan (thanks Dennis). This pile came in the mail for me a little while back. It includes about 24 sheets of aluminum, acrylic, and mesh, along with other modding goodies which i'll be using on various future projects:
    [​IMG]

The two main materials i'll be introducing are 2 way mirror acrylic, and 2mm and 1mm brushed black aluminum:
    [​IMG]

I wanted to get the Orange UV case to play with the contrast between it and the black aluminum. To do this, I'm covering the acrylic shell with 1mm black brushed aluminum.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really like the Cabe logo, so that will be repeated in the aluminum shell:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And in the feet:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The feet are necessary since this case is getting watercooling. I'll have either the radiator or the fans on the bottom outside the case and the feet will provide the necessary clearence. What looks like a plain orange window will actually be cut out and replaced with the 2-way mirror acrylic which will me mirrored (ha) in other areas of the case like the matrix orbital display in the front.

Of course, the design will change as the case progresses but here is what i have so far but there is more to come soon. As always, stay tuned.

PS. For your enjoyment (and maybe confusion) this worklog will also be featured (in crappy italian) on www.italiamodding.it once i get the energy to try to translate all of this. Enjoy!

Last edited: 30 Jan 2008
  2. MixWizard

MixWizard Minimodder

seems like this wil turn out really well, the 2way mirror acrylic is very nice to use. i had the guys at KustomPC's fit a window in my P180 side panel using it, and i must say it looks very nice stuff.

3. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

You're everywhere, you know it? Here I go to start a project log and you have to come in and remind us why you rock. we got modsquad taken care of, and dutchcedar, and Edeijo is off working on his Extreme LL2 but he's kinda on and off, and Cyprio's not updating often, so I thought it was safe, but no.

In other words, I can't wait to lose to this one. Best of luck on it...

4. Colossous

Colossous Minimodder

Good to see you back at it duder - looking forward to this one ! :D

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Good to see you back! It will be wierd with you not making a wood case, but I bet it still rocks!:D
    The feet make it look like a little tank!:hehe:

7. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Thanks a lot already guys.

Yeah it is weird not using wood, BUT, you can expect my next full custom case to start around June (maybe snippits of the design a bit earlier) :naughty: but until then, back to aluminum and acrylic!

8. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

woohooo another greensabbath mod!!!! will be watching this closely!

ooo <ot> nick do you remember me emailing you about my table that i was doing for technology as based on your work>?? well anyway i am not at college anymore but i am doing the table for my own pleasure and i am even using the joint you made up for yuugou and i tell ya what it isnt half a hard joint! its sooo difficult

i will send you some designs soon hopefully mate and ill get it up on here<ot>

9. Thadeez

Thadeez What's a Dremel?

Looking awfully nice there Nick, let's put those acryan stuffs to good use :) Love the logo!

10. Lupo_IM

Lupo_IM ItaliaModding staff

The top cover is great!!! ;-)

11. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

+1

12. widmod

widmod Minimodder

thats a good start :jawdrop:
    great that you are on our side of the pond now :clap:

13. Fox the ripper

Fox the ripper Pussy Lover

I love this case (You know Rigor...), and great start :clap:

14. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

Hei man , did you start modding without me ? :D
    What kind of material are you planning to use for the feets? Wood isn't admitted this time :nono::hehe:

15. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Hey guys, no update yet (i was at carnivale this weekend) bit i'm doing a mockup of the insides of the case and better one of the feet system tomorrow so stay tuned for that. Things are a little harder to get here in Italy but i'm getting close to cutting some stuff soon. Ciao ciao for now!

Hey man, for the feet i'm using a combination of 2mm aluminum (black brushed) and the same orange plexi and yes, there is no wood on the case at all :D

Thats awesome man, i definitely want to see how it turns out.

16. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

yer dont worry about that you will do :thumb:

Tags: