1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paying for stuff...

Discussion in 'General' started by cyrilthefish, 1 Feb 2008.

1. Edhi

Edhi What's a Dremel?

I'm a bit of a hypocrite on this whole subject I'm afraid to say ;)

When I was younger (not that much, I'm only 23) I would literally have no money, so I'd download. But at the same time, we had 56k up until a couple of years ago, so even then that was quite a problem!

In my case, "1 Download = 1 lost sale" isn't the case, much as the RIAA/MPAA or whoever would like to believe it is.
    If there's a film I really like the look of, I'll go see it in a cinema. If I see a film on Newzbin or wherever and I'd like to see it, I'll download it. But otherwise, I'd never have thought "Hmmm, I'm gonna go buy/rent that DVD".

I used to download a LOT of music for free, but once I got a job I started buying it legit - either via iTunes or on CD, because
    a) I like music a lot
    b) If I'm gonna get the music, I like the artist enough that I feel they should be supported by me buying it
    c) iTards all over the internet can't put proper ID3 tags on songs they offer for download to save their lives ;)

The biggest thing I download is probably software now. I bought a copy of XP and Vista, but I also have cracked copies, including Server 2003.
    Why?
    Because I'm trying to accelerate through the world of IT, and need things to practice on without having my MCSE disks say "Oh noes, out of time!!!11" just because I installed it and then was too busy to do anything with it for a few months.

Doesn't justify it I know, but thems is my reasons.

[EDIT]
    Also, things like 2k3, Citrix Metaframe, SQL Server, etc., are intended for enterprise use, and are so expensive that if I didn't download them, I'd never be able to afford a license anyway! ;)