1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Battlestar Galactica Mod: Complete!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Boddaker, 27 Mar 2007.

1. perkins teh modder

perkins teh modder What's a Dremel?

wow, i hate that show but i love this project
    keep up the great work:dremel:

2. NZ_mod_man

NZ_mod_man What's a Dremel?

nice! alot done since christmas. great job!:)

3. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Yup, it's looking great bod :)

4. BlastoNecrosis

BlastoNecrosis ...farted!

Woa Dang!

So i've lurked these forums for some time...and am approaching the time for my first casemod...and your is just fan-freaking-tastic...so i thought i'd finally pop in...

AND...ask a question if i may....

what is the styrofoam you are using and what is the stuff you use to make a shell over it withought destroying it?

for the mod i am going to be starting soon i wont need "shells" but rather a protective "hard shell" over the styrofoam. so i was just wanting a lil advice =D

thanx and again GREAT looking mod!

~Blasto:rock:

5. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Thanks Blasto! :D

The pink foam I used is standard Owens Corning insulation sheeting. You can get it at your local Home Depot.

The "shell" was made by a two-part plastic resin called Plasti-Paste from Smooth-on. It's main purpose is to serve as a mother-mold when casting in certain molds. But I used it to save a step so I wouldn't have to create the mold before casting the part. It worked fairly well, but I had a lot of sanding and bondo work to get it smooth. If you check out some of the earlier pages of my worklog, I show pictures of the process.
    Good luck with your first mod!

:cooldude:

6. BlastoNecrosis

BlastoNecrosis ...farted!

yeh, i think with my mod ill be able to get away with plain ol bondo as i am going to be keeping the foam inside said shell...so coating the foam ---> bondo ---> sanding to smooth finish ---> styrene (plasticard) for the "fluff" :D ---> primer ---> paint ---> matte acrylic finish.

and as a lil preview....my mod is based off this guy...the forgeworld chaos dreadnought!!!

[​IMG]

yeh....he'll be around 4 feet tall....man...im just collecting the materials ATM but im already salivating :D

look out for my first post & pics....methinks ill dub him.... THE DREADMOD!!!

7. Boddaker

Wow, that will be an awesome project! Can't wait to see you start on it man. :cooldude:

8. Boddaker

Ok here's what I got to show ya. While I was laid up in the house, I managed to get some details
    put on the side panels. Of course my son had to lend me a helping hand. He turned out to be a pretty good sander! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got both side panels detailed, as well as the front panel. Once I get a coat of primer on them I will
    take some more shots. (primer always makes things look so much better!)

---------------
    TEASER #3
    ---------------

Here is the unit installed in the case. Actually, this thing won't even be seen once the case is finished!
    [​IMG]

9. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

lolol he makes the case look huge! :D Nice work as usual.... hrrmm, maybe he's been the one building this case all along and you've been taking the credit! :eyebrow:

10. Mother-Goose

still can't work out what they are for (the tubes) is it bsg related or is it a case feature that is in no way related to bsg? (as it is internal)

I like your son's skeleton shirt dude, does it glow in the dark?

11. Boddaker

Crap, you're on to me! Ok, I confess, I've been violating child labor laws to build this case. :hehe:

The tubes are part of a BSG feature, and will play an important role in its function (even though they themselves wont be seen).

And yes, the bones glow in the dark. We got that shirt for him for Halloween, and he loved it so much he still wears it all the time. lol

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

What do you feed the little guy? I can see his ribcage! :hehe: Sorry, I couldn't resist.:D
    I still don't know what the tubes are for, but I'm hoping you get them charged with argon.

13. Boddaker

---------------
    MYSTERY MODULE REVEALED!
    ---------------

OK, here it is: The mystery module is neither a dual res, nor ambient light tubes, but an integral part of a
    functional blast door mechanism! That's right folks, BSG will have fully operational motorized blast doors,
    one on each side. :naughty:

So far I've got both doors built, and one side totally loaded up onto the spool. Check it out:

The doors themselves are made up of .010 sheets and .040 strips of styrene, spaced 1/8" apart.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The result is a strong but flexible door that looks and acts like a segmented garage roll-up type door.
    [​IMG]

I glued styrene C-channel to the top and bottom of a piece of clear acrylic. These will be the tracks in which the doors will travel.
    [​IMG]

Here is the whole thing positioned in the side panel. I forgot to take pictures of it, but I added a gentle curve
    to the acrylic on the front end heading towards the hard drive cage.
    [​IMG]

The door in its closed position.
    [​IMG]

I had to cut away part of the drive cage to allow the doors to pass through to the spool.
    [​IMG]

To provide a smooth corner for the doors to travel around, I cut a channel out of a piece of acrylic tubing
    and fit it over the sharp edge of the drive cage.
    [​IMG]

A shot from the front...
    [​IMG]

A shot from the side...
    [​IMG]

Here is the panel on the case, with the blast door in its fully open position. It could open more,
    but the drive cage's posterior support beam is right there with nothing exciting to see beyond
    that, so there's no need to open any further.
    [​IMG]

Shot from the front. You can see the door reeled up on the spool, demonstrating how flexible it is.
    [​IMG]

Now it's on to the other side to finish the tracks and door fitment. I'm still waiting on the servos and limit switches,
    so I won't be able to finish the blast door assembly until then. But it's not like I won't have any work to do while I'm waiting! lol

8)

14. InferiorPlanets

InferiorPlanets Worshiping the SilverStonehenge™

:thumb: BIZNATCHIN'!!! :rock: I can't wait to see that in action! Outstanding as usual bro!

15. markkleb

markkleb What's a Dremel?

I better not find out you are using those countersunk rivets:lol:

(holy crap 21 pages, hurry and finish the dam thing)

16. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

Thats awesome, i assume we'll be getting a youtube of the opening and closing?

17. Boddaker

lol great word!

Actually, this case uses flush rivets almost exclusively! :p

Most definitely! :D

18. Mother-Goose

HOLY CRAP that's cool!!!!

awesome for some extra ventilation, very impressive!

Do tthe doors return to their closed position easily (just by reversin the motor)?

19. InferiorPlanets

InferiorPlanets Worshiping the SilverStonehenge™

:D More originals coming once I see the blast doors in action! :hehe:

20. MikeK

MikeK What's a Dremel?

I´m not a Battlestar Galactica, but I think I´m a fan of your Battlestar Galactica mod!!

Great work!

Tags: