1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Pront Panel LCD displays

Discussion in 'Modding' started by biff, 4 Feb 2008.

1. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

Either my Googling skills are crap or I'm calling these thing by the wrong name as I can find any info. I've come across a bunch of the standard fare like the DigiDoc and similar but I'm looking for something a little more cusomizable (is that a word?).

The usual ones have say 4 channels and show set items like CPU temp & fan speed / GPU temp & fan speed / HDD temp & fan speed / etc.. Well I'm Water cooling so my CPU and GPU don't have fans so I don't want them displayed unless I can make it read "Pump RPM", also I don't want to have to use the supplied temp probes to measure, for example, the CPU temp as it'd be better if it could get it from the on die sensor. Maybe use that probe for water temp but It'd be nice to make it actually display it as "Water Temp".

Using a 2x20 or 4x20 lcd would be nice too instead of the flashy ones that are more show than function that are generally available. I know a while ago there were quite a few articles around for DIY ones but I can't find anything now.

Does such a thing exist? or something even close? Any help or links to some info would be greatly appreciated!!

2. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

www.matrixorbital.com

I have quite a few of their distplays, 2x16, 2x20, 4x20, 4x40 and they all are sweet. I've bought all of mine from ebay which is usualy a good place to look. Any more questions feel free to send me a PM and if you want one but cant find one ill be happy to sell you one of mine.

3. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

Thanks a lot! I've got some research to do now but these look like they could be exactly what I'm looking for.

4. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

I realise you're in Canada Biff... but have a look at all these different Matrix Orbital's/SoundGraph iMON's, to see which VFD's/LCD display suits your needs... or just to get an idea of which ones you prefer the look of :idea:
    It's then just a case of hunting around for a Canadian supplier...or a supplier who ships to Canada at least ;)

That'll only be necessary if you can't strike a deal with anything yer man ^^ has to offer of course :D

5. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

I've been reading their site quite a bit and are sure impressed by what these displays can do except one major issue, they don't have temp sensing which is my major requirement. The specs on the MX series (which are being discontinued anyway) say they can monitor the CPU temp which must be the on-die sensor which is fine, albeit very limited but the replacement series make no mention of this capability anywhere.

Too bad, these looked so promising.

Thanks for the info all the same.

6. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Don;t give up on them just yet!

It would be worth asking any questions you have about existing/new to market/forthcoming MO products, on the official Matrix Orbital forums :idea:

Henry (in particular) is a very active and helpful chap :clap:
    He used to take the time to post answers to questions members of Kustom PCs forums had about MO products, directly on the Kustom forums :rock:

7. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

Thanks, as it turns out they can do temp sensing using the dallas 1-wire bus but the MX series using the (I'm assuming) -24-USB displays have 6 spots for these temp probes and 4 PWM outputs which are nice but the replacements only have one port for a temp probe and no PWM outputs and they're almost the same price, only like $10 difference. Sounds like giving up a lot for only saving $10!

I put a post in on their forum so we'll see what happens. BTW I don't think I'll come across any issues getting them as the pics of their PCB's say "made in Canada" on them. Bonus.