1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboard for E8400

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jipa, 5 Feb 2008.

1. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I recently (yesterday) found out that my current CPU sucks. Badly. Very badly. I'm currently testing some newer graphic cards and the CPU is proving to be a huge bottleneck (see specs). To solve this problem I'm thinking of upgrading to E8400 and getting 2 GBs of some clocking ram (G.skill / axeram?) and then clocking the CPU on air. I guess that would solve the bottleneck problem, but I have pretty much no clue of the Intel-motherboards.

So the question is: which chipset is IN and what am I interested in when choosing a mobo? Preferrably I'd get pretty cheap one as this came pretty suddenly and my budget is rather limited. mATX size might be an option as I only have one graphic card. I DO need an optical out for sound and some other things that nowadays are even on the cheaper boards.

There are tons of S775 boards available so help me choose a good one. Thanks.

2. WeldZilla

WeldZilla What's a Dremel?

My Experience

I purchased an Asus P5KE-wifi last November. I was so busy wit work that it just set in the box til a week ago
    This board is right around $135 US. Well I bought a 8400 processor to put in it. While I was waiting I took an old Prescott 540 and stuck it together using it. I needed a bios update for the Wolfdale.
    My parts
    P5KE wifi
    8400 woldale processor
    2x1 gig of G.Skill 6400HZ (I belive this to be the best mem i have used to date) on any board
    PC&P 750 watt psu.. I belive my Enermax Liberty 500 would do fine also or my Corsair 620.
    Scythe CPU cooler 100mm fan
    Samsung DVD writer
    Sony Floppy
    Now here are the results.

I hope you are sitting DOWN

[​IMG]

I have only been messing with this set up since Saturday night Feb 2nd
    but, it came flying out of the gate ready to roll!!

[​IMG]

To be able to run this 6400HZ mem at these speeds with these tight timings is simply amazing!!
    @ only 2.15 V

WZ

3. Jipa

Yeah from what I've heard I believe those G.skills are nothing short of amazing. Not too expensive nowadays either (I think they were when they first appeared to the stores). I kinda like Asus as I currently have two Asus boards and have had no troubles whatsoever with them.

I was given a hint that Gigabyte GA-G33-DS3R might be worth looking at.. I've seen screenshots of that doing over 500 MHz as well, so it might not be too bad choice either.

4. phillj

phillj What's a Dremel?

I have this board and it is amazing. Just remember to change some more of tha advanced timings, when you first go into the bios press ctrl + F1 to get access to them. I have 4-4-12 RAM and needed to do this to set the timmings as it defualted to 5-5-18 (i believe).

5. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

dont forget to look at the gigabyte p35 ds3l (less sata and no raid)

6. Jipa

I'm kinda leaning on DFI Blood-iron, but now I'm wondering what memory should I get? OR what I should NOT get?

I'm looking at these kits:

2GB Dual Kit DDR2-800 F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK 4-4-4-12 53 €
    4GB DDR2 800MHz (PC-6400), Vitesta, Dual-kit, 240-pin DIMM 84 €

The 4 GBs are kinda tempting, but I don't know if they'll OC at all? Do memories generally OC? (I'm not looking to get to the FSB 600 club, but maybe 500?)