1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Quad or c2d ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lukeatluke, 30 Jan 2008.

1. Lukeatluke

Lukeatluke What's a Dremel?

Yes i do.

P.M.: Just trying vSync ...

2. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

One more thing:

This may sound very odd, but one problem I did have with COD4 was that with vSync enabled, even at a constant 60fps, things seemed a little "jerky" (mostly apparent when "circle strafing"). After searching all over the net for a solution I finally found someone with the same issue, who suggested enabling "dual GPU" in the games video options.

I had no belief that this was going to solve my problem but what do you know, it did! And yes, I do only have one GPU.

3. Lukeatluke

So...For now i'm playing with 60fpss with vSync off, because still i have some "time after mouse move effect-quarter of a second" but i can feel it-better-i can game it :|

I have tripple buffering on and now i don't know what to set to remove this effect.

I have Razer Deathadder with the latest firmware and software :)

4. Lukeatluke

LOL, i can laught and laught and laught myself :) I swithced that everywhere my GPU use OpenGL settings and now there's no "effect" more.I'll be playing now with vSync on :)

Thank you for your time and help

Now we can get to "overclock" them.I'm running q6600@ 388*8~3.1Ghz, if i switch to 340*9~3.06Ghz-> blue screen.3.15Ghz with 8x multiplier is my achieve at original voltage.So i'm asking you why i can't get 3.1 with 9x multiplier without blue screen, but with 8x i can.
    Is this Bios foulth? I have 1001 version, latest for my mobo.I can't downgrade with Asus upgrade utilitie(just in dos), so i didn't go further.If it's Bios i will change it but it'll be a little harder than just to flash over, DOS-you know...

Any suggestions? :O

Thank you one more time

5. WhiskeyAlpha

No problem, now we can stop with all the vSync bashing :lol:

Some motherboards have "fsb holes" and it sounds like this is what you might be experiencing. Changing to another bios may sort this out but it may also have other adverse effects. It is generally advisable to run with the latest bios, unless there is a major reason not to.

Need a little more info on your ram you're using so that we can advise appropriate dividers. it could be the case that using the 8 multiplier would benefit you. e.g. 400*8 = 3.2Ghz with RAM 1:1 (DDR2-PC6400)

6. Lukeatluke

I'm running with OCZ Gold XTC PC 6400 DDR2 800 Mhz 5-5-5-12@2.1V.
    Pleas help me.

Like i said before i'm having overC 388*6(C1E->enabled), with 1:1 RAM @ 388Mhz.My Ram is tested and it can go to 470Mhz.When it's needed-> C1E change it to 388*8.Diveders are the same the hole time?!

Help meee :|

7. WhiskeyAlpha

Give us your full system specs please,

Motherboard?
    Power Supply?
    Cooling?

8. Lukeatluke

Motherboard: Asus P5Kc
    Power supply: LCpower L6550 Green solution - 550W
    Cooling: 4 fans, stock cpu cooler.

I'm having 55°C @ 3.1 Ghz running prime95 for half hour. :thumb:

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

as far as i know, P5Kc don't have any FSB holes, my friend's P5Kc got his e2140 at 3.4Ghz now.

you might want to change your CPU cooler, although the temperature may seems fine, but Intel's stock cooler isn't very well at rapidly taking heat away from processor, so at even the slight voltage nudge, you might experience large temperature increase.

10. Lukeatluke

This's a good news and a bad news.I can say just that temperature are really ok and with my freezing environment temps i could overclock it to 3.2.

I'll try now 400*8 with 1.35V.

I'll report soon. :baby:

11. WhiskeyAlpha

Some boards can just be picky with a particular FSB, with a particular CPU. Especially with certain memory dividers. Some dividers cause a little more strain on the northbridge and a little voltage bump is often required. There are many reasons why a CPU might be stable with a lower divider but higher speed.

Anyways, you should need a maximum of about 1.4V to get that stable at 400*8 (though I've used many Q6600s that'll do it with a lot less). Make sure that your memory is running on a 1:1 divider (use CPU-Z to check) it should be running at 400Mhz (800Mhz DDR). You might need a little voltage bump to the northbridge. Then run Prime95 (multicore version) for 12 hours (ideally 24) and you're stable. Don't forget to check those temps regularly (particularly during small FFTs). I'd suggest using coretemp, and I posted a link to a Vista 64 fix in another thread somewhere (search my posts).

Last edited: 7 Feb 2008
  12. Lukeatluke

I went into the Bios, but i didn't found the command to switch to 1:1 divider.Northbridge Voltage hmm....Will 1.25V be ok? Now it's at auto and i think it's 1.1V or 1.0V.

Help me :|

13. WhiskeyAlpha

It looks different in different BIOSs. My board shows it as "800Mhz" in memory speed. Obviously, with a 400Mhz FSB this will be a 1:1 ratio (due to DDR doubling the effective ram speed). Your northbridge could probably take a little more voltage but be careful and monitor the temps using everest or hardware monitor.

Also, please stop saying "help me" everytime you post a question. It's driving me frickin bananas :)

14. wyx087

is the maximum before or after vdroop?? Abit iP35 Pro has a large Vdroop, i need 1.415v in BIOS, and 1.37v under load to make my q6600 stable. (VID: 1.325v)

15. Lukeatluke

wuyanxu I think you're right....I set 1.4 V for 3.2 @ 400*8 set DDR2-800MHZ so it's 1:1 and what did I get?
    Cpu-z 1.230 V(Bios 1.4V).

If I let it at auto it's 1.328V.

If we return to vSync theme, I now playing AGAIN :S without vSync( i know....tearing YES :( ) but bullet in cod4 are faster, reload is faster and I don't know what to do still, i set tripple buffering ON and dual video OFF and OpenGL function but it's still a little bit "laggy".Before I had MX1000 and it was same **** at vSync....

(I'll record now with my cam, so you can see my tearing :p )

16. Lukeatluke

I went bi BIOS set to DDR2-800MHz no difference.NortBridge set to 1.25V(default 1.1V), Vcore to 1.4V, DRam 2.2V.
    CPU-z is showing 1.230V.When i set to Auto Vcore is at 1.320V->388*8.

//I promised some Vids: Q6600 on P5Kc, you'll see my blue screen at end...And what's so strange? In prime95 when i get error, it's always thread#3! Is this normal?

//vSync on-off, concentrate or you won't see anything :)

17. wyx087

CPUz slowing low Vcore is because you have the power saving mode on. so to take the Vdroop values, you will need to put it under load

(great choice on the monitor! i've got exact same one! )

18. Lukeatluke

I forgot to say...Under load cpu-z shows 1.24V, In bios is set to 1.4V.Could it be that i have 0.16V Vdroop? :wua:
    So, 1.56V in Bios for 3.2Ghz 400x8? =|

19. wyx087

that's an extremely large amount of Vdroop......

but anyways, as long as you can get it stable (Prime small FFT stable for more than 8 hours, at reasonable temperature) you are fine.

20. WhiskeyAlpha

As you are probably already aware, a processors VID is the Vcore that it requires to run at it's stock speed. This is an Intel "recommendation" and is often quite conservative. Because of that most Intel chips will do stock speeds lower than there VID (or rated Vcore) or faster speeds at it's VID. Intel like to give themselves a bit of headroom. As an overclocker however, headroom goes out the window ;) (after all it's that "headroom" we exploit). 1.325V is quite a high VID so it may require a little more voltage to get stable at those speeds. Obviously, every CPU differs and I'm talking about my own experience with the 10 or so Q6600s I've overclocked and/or installed.

Also, the VID can be a (very) rough gauge as to how well a given chip might overclock. It's far from an exact science but if you look at the Q6600 overclocking database over at XS, most of the 3.8Ghz+ chips have a VID around 1.25V or lower. It's a fairly simple concept - if the chip does it's stock speeds at lower volts, it allows a greater increase in volts (as a percentage) without a greater increase of actual volts. But as I said, far from 100% accurate, just a good indicator.

Very hard to see your "Vsync problems" from these videos Lukeatluke. I'm not disbuting that it seems to cause you some problems but I can't see that Vsync alone is responsible. As I said, many of us use it without such issues. I'm 99% certain something else is wrong or amiss.

Thread 3 failing just shows that core 3 is a little weaker than the other cores and may need a little more voltage to "fall in line" with the others. It's normal for one core to fail and the others to continue, if the system isn't quite stable.

Oh and drop your ram voltage to 2.1V, you could end up doing some mischief at that voltage without active ram cooling.

wuyanxu is exactly on the money here. Look at your multiplier and processor speed when idle:
    [​IMG]
    Make sure you disable all power saving modes in the BIOS, such as C1E Enhanced Halt State, Intel Speedstep etc as they will dynamically alter your FSB and mulitplier to save power when the system isn't under load.

Looking at your videos it seems to be a show something different. Your video states "1.35V" and cpu-z is showing 1.3V:
    [​IMG]
    That's a perfectly normal level of Vdrop (Vdroop is a voltage drop under load, Vdrop is the difference between BIOS and Windows). Make sure you run coretemp to gauge your temps (it'll also show you your CPU's VID). I'd be interested to know your VID to be honest. Keep an eye on your Vcore in CPU-z when heavily loading the system in Prime95. That should show your Vdroop.

QFT. If there is indeed a large Vdrop and/or Vdroop, then all you can do is keep increasing the volts and testing for stability, whilst keeping a beady eye on your temps.

Last edited: 8 Feb 2008
Tags: