1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Setting up subversion server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeekyGray, 8 Feb 2008.

1. GeekyGray

GeekyGray Are we there yet?

Hi there,

I'm new around here to go easy :D

With my first foray into 'real' Linux computing (writing small, and i mean small, batch scripts at school doesn't really count) I have just set up a file server for my home (using Debian 'Etch') and that is running all fine and dandy and the LAN can access the Samba shares nicely.

I was looking to extend the capabilities of my server a wee bit. As a software developer I was very interested in setting up subversion for some version control. However my current project I am working on is with a friend, and currently our method of version control involves chucking the project onto the usb stick, driving round to the other's house, and using WinMerge to merge our work together. This is all well and good, but we thought it would be convenient to just be able to set up a repository that we can both check out and in from.

How is the best way for me to go about setting up the subversion server for him to be able to access it from home, and not make the rest of the server and LAN vulnerable to exploitation (I am security conscious). I have flirted with the idea of setting up a DMZ and sticking the server in there, but am not sure if that is overkill for what I want to do, or maybe I am completely misunderstanding the point of a DMZ in the first place. I don't really want to pull the file server out of the LAN if I can avoid it. Can the LAN still access the server if it is in the DMZ? I have another old box that I will probably use as a gateway/firewall at some point.

Is there an easier way of doing this (VPN perhaps?) that I have completely overlooked. I have a habit of trying to implement the most complex solutions, and overlook the easier, far more realistic ones.

Sorry for such a round about way of trying to explain my problem. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Gray

2. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

easy way is just to have subversion running on a non-standard port (ie not 80 or 8080) and open/forward that port and make sure you've got decent passwords on your svn users

more complex secure ways,
    if he's got a static ip you can open the port only for his IP
    VPN is definately an option

putting your server in the DMZ is unneccesary and pointless :)

3. GeekyGray

GeekyGray Are we there yet?

Yeah I thought that a DMZ was total overkill for my purposes!

Cheers for that, I think i'll just go for the non-standard port option and see how that goes :D

Tags: