1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fan controller problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Yardstick, 9 Feb 2008.

1. Yardstick

Yardstick What's a Dremel?

I have just finished a modest case mod (paint job, vinyl dye, window and fan cut). I've finished off the case with a nice MNPCTech billet grill with a Termaltake 120mm Thunderblade LED case fan.
    The fan is rated at 21 db but sounds more like an airboat [​IMG].

The fan is a 4 pin / 4 wire molex tpye with a 3 pin / 1 wire fan speed controller plug. I've connected up the controller plug to an old Coolermaster Muskateer I had lying around in an attempt to reduce the voltage / revs on the fan. However, the Muskateer doesn't seem to have any effect.

I've never used a Muskateer as a fan controller before but wondered if anyone had any experience and could point out why I can't seem to regulate the speed on the airboat fan :wallbash:

2. SaII

SaII What's a Dremel?

first of all the thermaltake fan is not 21db, it is 70+ cfm but not 21db.

second, use the toilet paper test, tape like 10 square block on the top of the fan, and use the controller in conjunction with the fan, turn it up and then turn it down, if the paper falls off then the controller work.

or you can use the face test, just put it up on your face

3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The 1-wire plug is designed to go into a motherboard header to show speed (that wire can't control a fan directly, it's an output signal only), with the high power needed going from a PSU molex to the fan's 4-wire molex connector. To control speed, the fan molex must be connected to a fan controller.

And as SaII pointed out, the '21dBA' spec noise is lies/a misprint of '34dBA' on a 2000RPM fan. For low noise you need a 1000RPM fan.

4. Yardstick

Yardstick What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the responses guys - looks like I need a new 1000 rpm fan.

5. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Thermaltake fans are pretty much worthless. Don't believe anything on the packaging.

In order to control the fan on that controller, you'd need to change over the molex connector to a 3-pin. Good luck.